Tyler Myers and his chances of making the Sabres

rickshaw

We're not talking about a Gretzky-type here, completely blowing his league away. I have a hard time believing Myers is miles ahead of every player in the WHL. He can still pick up a lot in that league if he ends up playing there one more year.

And even if he doesnt get that much better down there, it could be better for him than possibly regressing in the NHL, or getting limited ice time/ games .

• 2 weeks later...

Myers is good, great stickhandling and he's pretty graceful for a tall guy. If he plays on the Sabres this year, I just hope he's mentally mature enough. He better eat a few pork roasts with potatoes as well. He'll get snapped in half. Last time I looked he was at 204 lbs. He at least needs another 15 lbs on that frame. But if it means Butler losing his spot, I say NO. Myers can stay in Portland if that's the case.

By all accounts, Myers seems to be NHL ready right now. The only question is whether or not he is mature enough mentally and emotionally to handle the big time, so we'll just have to see. A prospect can also regress if kept behind at a lower level that bores him and doesn't challenge him to improve. With his physical skills, he could develop bad habits in the juniors because he's so much better than the other players he could still dominate playing at 70%.

Myers is good, great stickhandling and he's pretty graceful for a tall guy. If he plays on the Sabres this year, I just hope he's mentally mature enough. He better eat a few pork roasts with potatoes as well. He'll get snapped in half. Last time I looked he was at 204 lbs. He at least needs another 15 lbs on that frame. But if it means Butler losing his spot, I say NO. Myers can stay in Portland if that's the case.

Myers cannot be sent to Portland. He can play up to 9 games with the big club and still be sent down to Juniors. Any more than 9 games and he has to stay with the Sabres. He can't go to Portland. That's the rub.

Myers cannot be sent to Portland. He can play up to 9 games with the big club and still be sent down to Juniors. Any more than 9 games and he has to stay with the Sabres. He can't go to Portland. That's the rub.

Ah, ok. So my main question is who's feeding this kid? If he is ready, then somebody please give him some meat and potatoes!

Ah, ok. So my main question is who's feeding this kid? If he is ready, then somebody please give him some meat and potatoes!

If he's anything like myself when I was that age, I could eat like a total pig and not put on a pound. He's a couple inches taller than I am (I'm conservatively 6'4") so I'm sure it's even tougher for him.

So to his credit he's up into the 220's last I heard. 240 - 250 should be ideal for him.

By all accounts, Myers seems to be NHL ready right now. The only question is whether or not he is mature enough mentally and emotionally to handle the big time, so we'll just have to see.

I only went to one of the practices at NU, and from what I saw Myers looked solid, but really nervous. You could almost feel the pressure everytime he had the puck. He was matched up with Weber and the two of them shutdown the other sides offense and passed out of the zone well. He seems to have all the skills; now he needs to play some regular season games with the big club to gain confidence. I'm hoping Myers and the Butt will be regulars on the squad this year.

If he's anything like myself when I was that age, I could eat like a total pig and not put on a pound. He's a couple inches taller than I am (I'm conservatively 6'4") so I'm sure it's even tougher for him.

So to his credit he's up into the 220's last I heard. 240 - 250 should be ideal for him.

And a decent professional weight training program should take care of that. Mike Grier could give him some pointers too, since in the past he's worked with one of the best.

I spoke with the coach of the Kelowna Rockets yesterday at my work. I asked him if Myers would be coming back to Kelowna and he smiled and said it'll be much like the Luke Schenn situation last year.

He said that Myers will get his 9 game look for sure at some point, but it really is up to Myers and how he performs. He said that the Sabres had 6 defenseman already slotted in and that the Rockets and Sabres are in contact a lot and will be much more so to monitor his situation.

I told him I think Myers has done all he can do in junior and he didn't disagree, but said you want to make sure you don't make them regress if rushed to the NHL. He said that Schenn may not stick with the Leafs all year from indications out of Toronto. Schenn is eligible to go to the AHL and could very well see time there depending on his play.

Coach figures Myers is a 50/50 chance to stick with Buffalo this year.

And that is my update from Kelowna today.

Schenn will not play in the AHL this year.

Tell that individual to get a clue.

Myers has about an 85% chance of playing with the Sabres.

Archived