Tyler Myers and his chances of making the Sabres

rickshaw

I spoke with the coach of the Kelowna Rockets yesterday at my work. I asked him if Myers would be coming back to Kelowna and he smiled and said it'll be much like the Luke Schenn situation last year.

He said that Myers will get his 9 game look for sure at some point, but it really is up to Myers and how he performs. He said that the Sabres had 6 defenseman already slotted in and that the Rockets and Sabres are in contact a lot and will be much more so to monitor his situation.

I told him I think Myers has done all he can do in junior and he didn't disagree, but said you want to make sure you don't make them regress if rushed to the NHL. He said that Schenn may not stick with the Leafs all year from indications out of Toronto. Schenn is eligible to go to the AHL and could very well see time there depending on his play.

Coach figures Myers is a 50/50 chance to stick with Buffalo this year.

And that is my update from Kelowna today.

I spoke with the coach of the Kelowna Rockets yesterday at my work. I asked him if Myers would be coming back to Kelowna and he smiled and said it'll be much like the Luke Schenn situation last year.

He said that Myers will get his 9 game look for sure at some point, but it really is up to Myers and how he performs. He said that the Sabres had 6 defenseman already slotted in and that the Rockets and Sabres are in contact a lot and will be much more so to monitor his situation.

I told him I think Myers has done all he can do in junior and he didn't disagree, but said you want to make sure you don't make them regress if rushed to the NHL. He said that Schenn may not stick with the Leafs all year from indications out of Toronto. Schenn is eligible to go to the AHL and could very well see time there depending on his play.

Coach figures Myers is a 50/50 chance to stick with Buffalo this year.

And that is my update from Kelowna today.

Thanks for the news. I only want Myers here this year if he's ready and able to contribute.

Right. Wouldn't want to rock the boat. Might miss the playoffs for the sixth time in eight years (almost six in nine).

I'm concerned about ruining Myers by putting him in too soon, as well as the team's chances for playoffs this season. If he's not ready, why hurt his confidence and the team? I'll give you this, though...if it comes to February or March, and we know the team won't make the playoffs, call the kid up no matter what (sorry, Kelowna fans). I don't think his confidence will be affected if he's just gaining experience in games that don't matter.

Right. Wouldn't want to rock the boat. Might miss the playoffs for the sixth time in eight years (almost six in nine).

I couldn't care less if he "rocks the boat" with regards to the established roster or upsets the veterans. But I don't want him called up for the sake of calling him up and risk ruining his confidence or progress. If he's ready, bring him up and force out one of the vets. Having too many d-men is a fantastic problem to have. But they shouldn't do it strictly to push the vets' buttons or to prove to the fans that there are good young players coming up.

It's a real touchy situation. Personally, I think he's done in junior and will only learn bad habits in junior if he's here another year. Then there's the side where you hammer his confidence.

I don't want him back in Kelowna next year. I want him up and to stay up. If he goes through some rough patches, give him some nights off to get a look from above, but I only think he gets better, quicker by staying. He will have his nights, but he will not be the next Mike Wilson.

I think the coach wanted him back in KTown for another year, but what junior coach wouldn't want their stud to return.

Luke Schenn had some tough nights on a terrible team, but his confidence didn't seem to falter. I hope for the same with Myers.

It's a real touchy situation. Personally, I think he's done in junior and will only learn bad habits in junior if he's here another year. Then there's the side where you hammer his confidence.

I don't want him back in Kelowna next year. I want him up and to stay up. If he goes through some rough patches, give him some nights off to get a look from above, but I only think he gets better, quicker by staying. He will have his nights, but he will not be the next Mike Wilson.

I think the coach wanted him back in KTown for another year, but what junior coach wouldn't want their stud to return.

Luke Schenn had some tough nights on a terrible team, but his confidence didn't seem to falter. I hope for the same with Myers.

I agree...I would really like him up with Buffalo this year, but I just don't see where they put him unless they move someone. That said, I'm sure the FO will be taking a very hard look at him during his 9 game stretch...If he is playing shut-down D, I don't see how you can send him back, even if it means you have to make a tough decision with another D-man on the team. If the kid can play at this level, and contribute, then sending him back is only going to hurt him.

I agree...I would really like him up with Buffalo this year, but I just don't see where they put him unless they move someone. That said, I'm sure the FO will be taking a very hard look at him during his 9 game stretch...If he is playing shut-down D, I don't see how you can send him back, even if it means you have to make a tough decision with another D-man on the team. If the kid can play at this level, and contribute, then sending him back is only going to hurt him.

This nine or 10 game audition has me worried. You want to put pressure on a kid, maybe set him back? Tell him he has 10 games to prove he belongs in the NHL! No pressure.

This nine or 10 game audition has me worried. You want to put pressure on a kid, maybe set him back? Tell him he has 10 games to prove he belongs in the NHL! No pressure.

Depends on the player, some people rise to a challenge and perform even better.

If the kids ready, then he's ready.

Personally I think when the time comes to make room for Myers, they very well may just waive Tallinder, and if no one claims him they just dump him to Portland for a while.

Depends on the player, some people rise to a challenge and perform even better.

If the kids ready, then he's ready.

Personally I think when the time comes to make room for Myers, they very well may just waive Tallinder, and if no one claims him they just dump him to Portland for a while.

This incredibly budget conscious team is going to pay Tallinder $3.25 million to play in Portland? Not a chance. They wouldn't even bite the bullet on Paetsch's $1.05 million. You will see Chris Butler in the minors long before you'll ever see Tallinder down there.

This incredibly budget conscious team is going to pay Tallinder $3.25 million to play in Portland? Not a chance. They wouldn't even bite the bullet on Paetsch's $1.05 million. You will see Chris Butler in the minors long before you'll ever see Tallinder down there.

you're right on the money there Shrader.. but i'd sure hate to see Butler lose valuable NHL icetime to play in the AHL..

you're right on the money there Schrader.. but i'd sure hate to see Butler lose valuable NHL icetime to play in the AHL..

I don't think there's much of a chance of him heading down (maybe if he starts out of the gate very slowly). It was just more of a statement of how unlikely the Tallinder in the minors scenario is.

Oh, and drop that "c" from my name. :doh: ;)

I cant link a conversation. Sorry man..Not tryin to be a smartass at all. Im very good friends with a employee who works on the bench and once inawhile he will give me a bit of a headsup.

I'm all for the kid playing on this year's version of the Sabres. Hopefully it won't retard his development. Chris Pronger and Zhedno Charra didn't become the players they are today without a lot of set backs and lessons learned. Maybe someday we can think of Tyler as such.

Will it hurt his development if they only play him 40 games? He would still get all the practice time with the team.

Yes. He needs to be on the ice as much as possible in live game situations, not just practicing with the big team.

Practicing with the NHL team is great, but it's still a controlled environment. He needs to learn on the fly and show he can read plays, work well with his d-partner, know his roles and responsibilities within the system, etc., when the live bullets are flying. (Apologies to the cliche police.) He either plays up here or he plays down there.

Yes. He needs to be on the ice as much as possible in live game situations, not just practicing with the big team.

Practicing with the NHL team is great, but it's still a controlled environment. He needs to learn on the fly and show he can read plays, work well with his d-partner, know his roles and responsibilities within the system, etc., when the live bullets are flying. (Apologies to the cliche police.) He either plays up here or he plays down there.

Actually, I think Ruff handles first year D-men about as well as anybody.

He put Weber and Butler in positions to succeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Meyers is full time by Christmas...when D-men start going down.

But at some point playing for Kelowna may not help him in improving his game. It could lead to him learning sloppy habits if the game gets too easy. But putting him out for a full NHL season could also cause harm to his development if he is over his head.

Is the rule once he is sent down he has to stay down or can the team bring him up for his 9 games (or for the remainder of the season) at some point later in the year?

Actually, I think Ruff handles first year D-men about as well as anybody.

He put Weber and Butler in positions to succeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Meyers is full time by Christmas...when D-men start going down.

In general I agree - he does seem to do a good job of putting young d-men in a good position to succeed. That being said, I don't think having Myers up all year long with the big club but playing only 40 games benefits anyone. He needs to be on the ice consistently, not watching from the bench or press box. He needs to be on the ice in a variety of live game situations.

But at some point playing for Kelowna may not help him in improving his game. It could lead to him learning sloppy habits if the game gets too easy. But putting him out for a full NHL season could also cause harm to his development if he is over his head.

Is the rule once he is sent down he has to stay down or can the team bring him up for his 9 games (or for the remainder of the season) at some point later in the year?

Therein lies the rub - what's the risk/reward? Does Myers benefit more from playing sparingly until injuries or trades hit, then get thrust into a full-time role for which he may not be ready? Or does he benefit more by getting his taste of the NHL during his 9-game callup and then being sent back down? I don't know, but with prospects I tend to err on the side of caution.

If he comes up and blows everyone away, then by all means keep him up and make another move somewhere else to create playing time. If he struggles, then send him back down and not mess with his head/confidence.

We're not talking about a Gretzky-type here, completely blowing his league away. I have a hard time believing Myers is miles ahead of every player in the WHL. He can still pick up a lot in that league if he ends up playing there one more year.

Archived