Patrick Kane arrested

Corp000085

You'd give appreciation to someone calling Gilbert, Gill-Burt? And, have you seen the morning news in B-lo lately? It's mostly a woman's world.

She got the name right every other time. Maybe she misread the prompter. Maybe, like the cabbie, she had no clue who this little puke was.

Or maybe it's the Buffalo accent. Mike Randall just said there was a chance of "hal" with the latest storms.

Sounds like Kane's family and friends are trying to do some damage control. What is a "sterotypical cabbie?" There is no possible justification for beating a 60 year old man, drunk or not.

I'm down w/ that. Who cares if Kane "offered" him a 100 dollar bill. Kane and company still beat the cabbie. How does a 100 dollar bill make all of this right? Kane is nothing but a pain in the ass now. He can stay in Chicago. I could really give a flying "f" about his future in hockey. Let's go Tim Kennedy and Nathan Gerbe!!! Ok, I'm ready to get bashed for that, but at least those guys haven't done anything wrong...yet.

I'm down w/ that. Who cares if Kane "offered" him a 100 dollar bill. Kane and company still beat the cabbie. How does a 100 dollar bill make all of this right? Kane is nothing but a pain in the ass now. He can stay in Chicago. I could really give a flying "f" about his future in hockey. Let's go Tim Kennedy and Nathan Gerbe!!! Ok, I'm ready to get bashed for that, but at least those guys haven't done anything wrong...yet.

Hear hear! Anyone who finds any justification in what he/they (allegedly) did is feeding the idea that professional athletes are entitled to do things others in society aren't.

what seemed to enrage the kanes was the cabbie's insistence that they pay before exiting the vehicle. one of the kanes said he needed to get out the cab in order to get his wallet out. the cabbie would not relent, and explained that he insists on that sequence when taking college kids as a fare.

Exactly! He was dropping the two off right in front of the Canisus dorms on Eastwood... I know that neighborhood well... Quite the trouble and partying went on there back in the day. I don't blame the cabbie one bit for not trusting them. Afterall, they punched him out, they surely would have ran... Then what happens if they run on campus and through the Quad?... He loses his fare (probably not the first time)... It becomes a cluster phuck.

One time years ago... My father's old army buddy had his son come visit us in Cheektowaga... This was the early 1980's and probably before widespread electric door locks... Well, the then teen/20 something son (paling around with my brother at the time)... Made it all the way to WNY on a bus from TN... Then took a cab to the street right behind us... The kid was shrewd, he knew that the street the cabbie took him to was a dead end... He got out of the car and bolted over the fences to the next street to avoid the big fare. My father was pissed... Who the hell was he inviting to his home?! The kid was street smart and made it all the way from Memphis on limited bucks.

That you've heard of.

i will also add this: back in my youth, i was involved in a late-night melee exactly three times (never willingly), and each time i had my effete ass handed to me. two of those incidents involved getting a beat down from a gang of knuckle-heads from south buffalo; the other involved a beat-down from a gang of knucklheads from south boston.

Come to South Chicago... They have the same connection and dynamics as South BFLO, and South Boston! ;) ;) You figure it out! :nana:

The cabbie seemed more concerned about his broken glasses than his actual injuries, so I think it's safe to say that the beating he took was not life threatening.

Dude... I would too if I needed my glasses (which I do) to drive home... Let alone get my injured ass to work the next day!

Sorry... Some aren't Patrick Kane where you can go to LensCrafters and drop a c-note on a new pair of glasses and get then in one hour.

It is his world, the glasses that is... Just like 20 cents seems to be the Kanes... Don't they have Hummer sitting in their driveway?

Of all that happened ...his reference to the Original Six bothers you?

No. It it just shows what a clueless douche he is and has bought into the Hawks mentality. God, I wish the Hawks would suck again... This town became so brutal... And it is bad with bandwagon fans beyond belief... Then mix in a "suburban mentality" and the place is beyond belief bad.

I am know coming to terms and realizing why Old Man Wirtzy kept the market down. Think Cubs mixed with Red Sox and you have only scatched the mentality what the market it is hear for a winning Hawks team... There are a lot of deep issues! BRUUUU TAL.

Exactly! He was dropping the two off right in front of the Canisus dorms on Eastwood... I know that neighborhood well... Quite the trouble and partying went on there back in the day. I don't blame the cabbie one bit for not trusting them. Afterall, they punched him out, they surely would have ran... Then what happens if they run on campus and through the Quad?... He loses his fare (probably not the first time)... It becomes a cluster phuck.

One time years ago... My father's old army buddy had his son come visit us in Cheektowaga... This was the early 1980's and probably before widespread electric door locks... Well, the then teen/20 something son (paling around with my brother at the time)... Made it all the way to WNY on a bus from TN... Then took a cab to the street right behind us... The kid was shrewd, he knew that the street the cabbie took him to was a dead end... He got out of the car and bolted over the fences to the next street to avoid the big fare. My father was pissed... Who the hell was he inviting to his home?! The kid was street smart and made it all the way from Memphis on limited bucks.

Where exactly did they keep their wallets that they had to get out of the Cab? That tells me they were getting ready to run.

The more I hear about this story the more it pi$$es me off. You got a 60+ year old man busting his hump in a cab in the middle of the night dealing with scumbags like this. It should be mandatory for Cabs to have some type of security cameras like school buses and police cruisers. Now this 62 year old cabbie gets thrown into the media situation because of some 20 year old loser with a overdeveloped sense of entitlement.

Where exactly did they keep their wallets that they had to get out of the Cab? That tells me they were getting ready to run.

The more I hear about this story the more it pi$$es me off. You got a 60+ year old man busting his hump in a cab in the middle of the night dealing with scumbags like this. It should be mandatory for Cabs to have some type of security cameras like school buses and police cruisers. Now this 62 year old cabbie gets thrown into the media situation because of some 20 year old loser with a overdeveloped sense of entitlement.

Exactly. They would have run. What makes me sick is this false imprisonment BS that people bring up... Total BS! What do you do as a cabbie? Just let them out and possibly run! With such total BS on the books, it is amazing that cabbies still do their job.

The effing pencil pushers and lawyers of the world wouldn't tolerate it if they had to put up with the same BS... That is what is wrong.

Which leads me to this... Really! Can cabs still be viable in today's society. What I am saying is that they are just too many security issues on both sides of the fence!

I still don't see how you can make these claims that the cabbie was completely free of fault in all of this. We don't know the real facts of the situation at all, so what is your basis? Most people here are just playing Devil's advocate because of a lack of real information regarding what happened. This whole thing is not as black and white as you're trying to make it. Just because he's a 60 year old guy doesn't mean he is immediately exempt from blame.

I still don't see how you can make these claims that the cabbie was completely free of fault in all of this. We don't know the real facts of the situation at all, so what is your basis? Most people here are just playing Devil's advocate because of a lack of real information regarding what happened. This whole thing is not as black and white as you're trying to make it. Just because he's a 60 year old guy doesn't mean he is immediately exempt from blame.

No. The cabbie is not an axe murder and he wsa dropping them off on Eastwood. Those are the facts, yet our system tells this cabbie he can't use those facts to collect what is righfully his... The fare. Our society is screwed up beyond belief.

Fare

Hear hear! Anyone who finds any justification in what he/they (allegedly) did is feeding the idea that professional athletes are entitled to do things others in society aren't.

Ironically, that's actually exactly what the news article said:

"It's pretty much been blown out of proportion," LoTempio told WGN. "It's a dispute over the cab fee and unfortunately Mr. Radecki didn't recognize Mr. Kane and just thought they were a couple of college kids.

So, if he had known it was Patrick Kane, he suddenly comes up with 20 cents, or what? How would knowing who it was change the situation at all?

A guy simply doing his job gets beat up and robbed by some rich kid and his cousin. If the cabbie is at fault for anything it would be for picking them up in the first place. How dare this man try to earn a living. :wallbash:

No. The cabbie is not an axe murder and he wsa dropping them off on Eastwood. Those are the facts, yet our system tells this cabbie he can't use those facts to collect what is righfully his... The fare. Our society is screwed up beyond belief.

Fare

Those aren't the facts in question bud. Are you the cabbie? Were you there?

And you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say he was an axe murderer. I'm saying we don't know the particulars at all. Maybe this whole thing could have been avoided if the cabbie had told them up front that he wasn't going to let them out until they payed. Maybe if the cabbie is so worried about getting paid he should express that concern to some drunk college kids eh? How do we know he didn't instigate the whole thing? We don't, and that's my point.

Sounds to me like the cabbie knew what he was getting into in picking up college boys. Maybe he should think of reworking how he picks up fares.

A guy simply doing his job gets beat up and robbed by some rich kid and his cousin. If the cabbie is at fault for anything it would be for picking them up in the first place. How dare this man try to earn a living. :wallbash:

Sure, that's all well and good if you believe that side of the story and want to take it down as gospel. Please, continue to choose to ignore that there may be another side to it.

Ironically, that's actually exactly what the news article said:

So, if he had known it was Patrick Kane, he suddenly comes up with 20 cents, or what? How would knowing who it was change the situation at all?

It wouldn't. Anything that is coming from the lawyers at this point is agreed upon BS from both parties. The longer this goes the further from the truth the information will be. The Kanes hired their lawyer who contacted the cabbie to advise they will make things right. The cabbie turns around and hires his lawyer so he doesn't get screwed over. In the end all parties will be smiling and saying "what regrettable situation it was", "a simple misunderstanding handled poorly by both parties involved" and the classic "everyone is in agreement to put this behind us."

And you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say he was an axe murderer. I'm saying we don't know the particulars at all. Maybe this whole thing could have been avoided if the cabbie had told them up front that he wasn't going to let them out until they payed. Maybe if the cabbie is so worried about getting paid he should express that concern to some drunk college kids eh? How do we know he didn't instigate the whole thing? We don't, and that's my point.

Sounds to me like the cabbie knew what he was getting into in picking up college boys. Maybe he should think of reworking how he picks up fares.

Sure, that's all well and good if you believe that side of the story and want to take it down as gospel. Please, continue to choose to ignore that there may be another side to it.

"Reworking how he picks up fares?" I don't know how often you ride cabs, there are not dozens of people on the curb fighting for cabs. The guy has a right to try and earn a living. There is nothing he could have done to have justified being jumped. Being drunk doesn't excuse Kane.

A man trying to earn a living versus a couple of drunk 20 year olds, one with a growing reputation of self entitlement? There is no reason to believe that the cabbie would lie.

For everyone saying "we haven't heard Kane's side of the story", that's probably because it'd read the same. If something other than what has been in all the news reports had gone down, we would have heard about it by now. Instead, all we've heard is that the story was 'blown out of proportion' (aka being covered up essentially).

I love you. I practically raised you from a pup. But you are way, way off base on this one. A cabbie got assaulted. A witness or witnesses saw it. There is no justification possible.

I love you. I practically raised you from a pup. But you are way, way off base on this one. A cabbie got assaulted. A witness or witnesses saw it. There is no justification possible.

Witness testimony is generally worthless.

And let me make my side of this clear also, that I believe Kane was in the wrong and everything went down as described. I buy the whole story.

From a legal standpoint though, I'm questioning the facts of the case. It's just what I do. We don't know what really happened in that cab, we don't really know what both parties said. We don't know that this cab driver's actions didn't provoke the whole thing. We don't. I'm only arguing Kane's defense because people are so willing to throw his reputation as an innocent man under the bus because he's an athlete, as they argue that because he's an athlete he'll avoid charges. Too many people here presuming guilt. I'm presuming innocence, despite my belief that he is probably guilty. I don't see how, with what we're given, my assertion is off base.

It wouldn't. Anything that is coming from the lawyers at this point is agreed upon BS from both parties. The longer this goes the further from the truth the information will be. The Kanes hired their lawyer who contacted the cabbie to advise they will make things right. The cabbie turns around and hires his lawyer so he doesn't get screwed over. In the end all parties will be smiling and saying "what regrettable situation it was", "a simple misunderstanding handled poorly by both parties involved" and the classic "everyone is in agreement to put this behind us."

An incident happens and eventually both sides are happy with the outcome. Is that really such a bad thing? (assuming that is what happens)

We don't know what really happened in that cab, we don't really know what both parties said. We don't know that this cab driver's actions didn't provoke the whole thing. We don't. I'm only arguing Kane's defense because people are so willing to throw his reputation as an innocent man under the bus because he's an athlete, as they argue that because he's an athlete he'll avoid charges. Too many people here presuming guilt. I'm presuming innocence, despite my belief that he is probably guilty. I don't see how, with what we're given, my assertion is off base.

Good call. I agree.

An incident happens and eventually both sides are happy with the outcome. Is that really such a bad thing? (assuming that is what happens)

Another one.

I'll just add this: Kane almost certainly behaved in an unacceptable way, and he is almost certainly going to pay a heavy price. But I'd like to know exactly when the cabbie locked the doors. Under almost any circumstances, his locking them in is an act of aggression. He crossed a line when he did that. Kane and the other meathead crossed a worse one when they hit him, but the cabbie is not blameless.

And let me make my side of this clear also, that I believe Kane was in the wrong and everything went down as described. I buy the whole story.

From a legal standpoint though, I'm questioning the facts of the case. It's just what I do. We don't know what really happened in that cab, we don't really know what both parties said. We don't know that this cab driver's actions didn't provoke the whole thing. We don't. I'm only arguing Kane's defense because people are so willing to throw his reputation as an innocent man under the bus because he's an athlete, as they argue that because he's an athlete he'll avoid charges. Too many people here presuming guilt. I'm presuming innocence, despite my belief that he is probably guilty. I don't see how, with what we're given, my assertion is off base.

QFT.

Obama hasn't wrecked the country that much yet. You are still innocent until proven guilty. The old cabbie has 60 years of working on his act. How many tickets and fender-benders has this guy had to talk himself out of? What ways around the costs of doing business has he acted on? You can go on and on about the cabbie's character as well.

It's just that he's the old sap who allegedly was beaten up by a famous hockey guy. Did he start arguing with the two about keeping the change for a tip, since it was so little of course? Maybe the cabbie actually did know it was Kane. Did he call them cheapskates as he kept the back doors locked? Maybe one of the passengers is claustrophobic and once he realized he was locked in he panicked - maybe he told this to the cabbie and the cabbie said "tough, let me keep the change and you could walk."

It doesn't take a creative genius to spin this the other way, making the passengers looked like they were provoked.

It's ridiculous, yes, but at the very least if the two were provoked by the cabbie then the blame for the incident is essentially a wash.

All of this being said, I still don't like the idea of Kane not just walking away from the whole thing before it started. Let the cabbie keep the money and continue on with your night, or morning as the case was.

Unless we're to posit that the cabby gave himself the facial injury, or was injured beforehand, one of the two raising Kanes caused the injury. I don't see how anything the cabby did can be used as a legal defense. Or are you saying, forget the law, the cabby might have done something to deserve an ass-kicking?

Archived