[OT] Mailboxes

inkman

So, as the president of my neighborhood association, I am in charge of planning and hosting the neighborhood party. As a part of this, I needed to distribute invitations to everyone. I reluctantly put them in their mailboxes. I was warned by the former pres, that the post office gets all crotchety about this and has threatened to charge postage for using their boxes.

Also, as a former landlord of mine sternly reminded me after I asked if he wanted the rent check in his mailbox, it's a federal offense to touch his mailbox. So I offer the question? What would you have done?

So, as the president of my neighborhood association, I am in charge of planning and hosting the neighborhood party. As a part of this, I needed to distribute invitations to everyone. I reluctantly put them in their mailboxes. I was warned by the former pres, that the post office gets all crotchety about this and has threatened to charge postage for using their boxes.

Also, as a former landlord of mine sternly reminded me after I asked if he wanted the rent check in his mailbox, it's a federal offense to touch his mailbox. So I offer the question? What would you have done?

attach it to a flaming bag of Dogshit and launch it at their door. That'll send a message.

I'd put them in the mailboxes.

But anyway, do we need to have you committed? Earlier in the lawnmowing thread, you mention that all your neighboring houses are empty, now you're sending invitations to the people in those houses. Yes, we all know the offseason sucks, but you really should get some help.

I'd put them in the mailboxes.

But anyway, do we need to have you committed? Earlier in the lawnmowing thread, you mention that all your neighboring houses are empty, now you're sending invitations to the people in those houses. Yes, we all know the offseason sucks, but you really should get some help.

My street does have more than 4 houses. :nana:

The house next door was renting now they are selling, hence no occupancy.

The house on the other side was just sold and won't have anyone in it for another week or so.

That being said, almost 10 houses out of 44 have been or will be sold on my street since January. Not sure why, most of the houses are in the $120,00 - $180,000 range. Different circumstances with all the sales.

I would have done what you did, and I'm glad that you no longer pay rent to the douchenozzle landlord. Are you kidding me? They guy said that? I'm just grateful when I get a rent check from my tenants, no matter the manner in which it arrives.

I would have done what you did, and I'm glad that you no longer pay rent to the douchenozzle landlord. Are you kidding me? They guy said that? I'm just grateful when I get a rent check from my tenants, no matter the manner in which it arrives.

Same guy told me to make sure my female friends didn't put feminine hygiene products in the toilet. I also told him I didn't like fish, then he proceeded to say, "I guess you don't eat either." Douchenozzle is right.

Mail them out with postage stamps, then charge an entry fee at the party. You're obeying the law AND making a profit at the same time. Have you learned nothing from TG???!!!

So, as the president of my neighborhood association, I am in charge of planning and hosting the neighborhood party.

Sounds like the perfect oportunity to have The Board crash this bash for an inaugural Summer picnic.

• You can have Taro T. and North Buffalo cook up their own versions of the chicken wing for all. A little competition - if you will. (Screw you Drew Cerza)
  • Chz can load-up the coffee truck for sandwiches, dessert, coffee and drinks and drive over.
  • Somebody on this board probably plays in a band or knows somebody.
  • I'll bring 'Twister'.

Anything Else?

Where and when?

Well, since you asked...

What ever happened to the option of putting them in/on the front door? It's just 44 houses..

In our hood,we use two signs at the main entrances to announce events. It worked perfectly. Since you took on the insane business of Neighborhood Association Nazi, you have the power of the purse. Go buy the signs. They work really, really well.

Being a parent of a cub scout, we know all too well how unhappy the USPS gets about the post boxes. Sign, sign everywhere a sign, blocking out the scenery.....

Well, since you asked...

What ever happened to the option of putting them in/on the front door? It's just 44 houses..

In our hood,we use two signs at the main entrances to announce events. It worked perfectly. Since you took on the insane business of Neighborhood Association Nazi, you have the power of the purse. Go buy the signs. They work really, really well.

Being a parent of a cub scout, we know all too well how unhappy the USPS gets about the post boxes. Sign, sign everywhere a sign, blocking out the scenery.....

For some reason this is interesting to me this morning. I routinely get flyers and takeout menus in my mailbox, and the mail carrier doesn't seem to say much about it (then again, I'm not usually around when the mail is delivered). I do know a guy who works out of his house and frequently gets papers delivered there, and he has a separate box set up to receive those papers because the post office gives him trouble otherwise. But how is it the USPS's business at all? Here's the way I see it...

The USPS is charged with delivering the mail. They have to deliver it to my house regardless of whether I have a mailbox at all. I may be wrong, but I don't believe there's a law requiring me to install a mailbox on the outside of my home. So the mailbox is for my convenience, not the convenience of the USPS. If I don't want mail to pile up on my porch, I purchase and install a box to receive the mail. It's mine. When does it become their business who puts what in my mailbox? If it were a slot on my door, rather than a box on the outside, would the post office care?

The post office's mailboxes, sure, I understand. But those are not mine.

Actually, incredibly stupid, yes, but once you put up that mailbox, it is no longer yours.

I just came across this on google and it makes some sense. It seems like they're going a bit overboard, but it's not like they're ever going to actually enforce it unless someone is doing something really questionable.

http://residential-mailboxes.net/uncategor...ential-mail-box

The deal is that it is part of the Postal Union protection Act, not sure the date. Seriously, anyone who has worked a political campaign is warned against this, so we stick the propaganda in screens, around door knobs, partially under mats or just lay them down on the stoop. People are at least more likely to glance at them as they go in the trash so much for the PO.

I'll make my wings.... where do I mail them too! :w00t:

Actually, incredibly stupid, yes, but once you put up that mailbox, it is no longer yours.

I just came across this on google and it makes some sense. It seems like they're going a bit overboard, but it's not like they're ever going to actually enforce it unless someone is doing something really questionable.

http://residential-mailboxes.net/uncategor...ential-mail-box

All right, now I want something more than the USPS Domestic Mail Manual. Something from the CFR or Federal Register, with Congressional authorization. What a load of crap. (Not your position; I mean what I read when I followed your link.)

And Inkman probably is doing something questionable, anyway.

All right, now I want something more than the USPS Domestic Mail Manual. Something from the CFR or Federal Register, with Congressional authorization. What a load of crap. (Not your position; I mean what I read when I followed your link.)

And Inkman probably is doing something questionable, anyway.

Yeah, I was too lazy to search for anything official and just went with the first thing I found. The part about trying to avoid scams makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, to get rid of that, they have to cut back on the legit stuff too. I think it's a safe bet though that they're not going to go after anyone unless absolutely forced to.

(looks over shoulder) :unsure:

One of my all-time favorite internet videos, showing what Ink may or may not be doing to mailboxes at 4:45 in. Probably not safe for work (language, not nudity) and definitely not for kids ("adult situations" is how HBO would describe it, I believe):

If you have the time, watch the whole 9 minutes. It's priceless.

One of my all-time favorite internet videos, showing what Ink may or may not be doing to mailboxes at 4:45 in. Probably not safe for work (language, not nudity) and definitely not for kids ("adult situations" is how HBO would describe it, I believe):

If you have the time, watch the whole 9 minutes. It's priceless.

:w00t: New classic for not getting mad but getting even.

Archived