Darcy's comments in the Snooze today

BamBam

Sabres right wing Drew Stafford is a restricted free agent, but Regier said signing him before Wednesday is not a priority despite the fact the 23-year-old could attract an offer sheet. The Sabres were victimized by a bid two years ago when Edmonton signed Thomas Vanek to a $50 million offer, which Buffalo matched.

"It's something that we balanced out and weighed, and we want to do what's right for both the player and the organization, and so I think you're going to see it go beyond July 1," Regier said. "I think ownership made a very serious statement in Thomas' case, and I would hope that would send a signal to the rest of the league that as an organization we're going to protect the assets we have, we're going to make decisions that are best for the organization."

---------------------------------

So...What have we learned....

The Sabres will not sign Stafford prior to July 1.

Then....DR annouces to everyone (Including the other GM's) Sure...go ahead and "victimize" us again because we will simply match your off the wall deal.

If you want to protect the assets that you have then be proactive and don't allow another team (Ala Edmonton) to dictate contract terms for one of "our" players. Is it just me or does this team, this front office not learn from its mistakes. I've never seen a group of people talk out of both sides of thier mouth when it suited them best.

The Sabres will not sign Stafford prior to July 1.

Then....DR annouces to everyone (Including the other GM's) Sure...go ahead and "victimize" us again because we will simply match your off the wall deal.

Maybe, Darcy wants someone to give him a big offer because they'd rather have some compensatory picks next year than Drew. If nobody does, then they'll have leverage to sign him for less. Just a thought.

Christ, I hope somone offers Stafford a big fat contract. A bunch of first round pics for him would be great

I am on the fence with Stafford. He is the player I think of when posters call for Lindy's head. He was the one that went after Neil when he hit Drury which tells me the kid has it in him. He has the talent and size. I have to wonder if under another coach he becomes the player the Sabres need. Or, is he a player destined to only show flashes and never gain the consistency like Kotalik?

I am on the fence with Stafford. He is the player I think of when posters call for Lindy's head. He was the one that went after Neil when he hit Drury which tells me the kid has it in him. He has the talent and size. I have to wonder if under another coach he becomes the player the Sabres need. Or, is he a player destined to only show flashes and never gain the consistency like Kotalik?

I have this nagging doubt about Drew that I can't shake. I don't know why, but I feel like he is exactly that. Last season was a good opportunity to work hard and try to gain a big offer as a RFA and build his pay. At his age, if he isn't motivated on his own to bring his A-game every night, then I'm not sure he's got it in him.

The defense of Drury was two and a half seasons ago!

My memory of Stafford this year was calling out the "mouse potatoes" after he had a good game.

Not a lot of maturity there IMHO, and we have some more guys like that. Youth is no longer a good excuse. Maybe at some point you put the partying, crotch grabbing and Guitar Hero behind you and become a pro.

I have this nagging doubt about Drew that I can't shake. I don't know why, but I feel like he is exactly that. Last season was a good opportunity to work hard and try to gain a big offer as a RFA and build his pay. At his age, if he isn't motivated on his own to bring his A-game every night, then I'm not sure he's got it in him.

Same here.

You would expect a younger player to be streaky. But this past season was a potentially pivotal year for Stafford- especially with it being a contract year for him.

Alot was made by management that since Drury's departure, players like Stafford were going to have to step up. I don't think that he did it enough.

Unfortunately, he reminds me of too much of the current squad- tons of potential, signs of greatness, but not too much consistency and that quote by the Ottawa coach of the Sabres being the 2nd softest team in the league still haunts me.

They need player turnover to add some toughness and character.

They need an identity other than softy.

My memory of Stafford this year was calling out the "mouse potatoes" after he had a good game.

Not a lot of maturity there IMHO, and we have some more guys like that. Youth is no longer a good excuse. Maybe at some point you put the partying, crotch grabbing and Guitar Hero behind you and become a pro.

hahahahahaha.

I like the guitar hero part.

Maybe that makes him the poster child for the lack of leadership on this team? I'm not defending him, I am just throwing it out there that maybe he is a result of, not the cause, of what ails this team.

Nicely played.... I've wondered if he thought more of his hobby band than his day job but then again and I hate having to admit I agree with you grumpy :nana: but coaching is the lever that should be determining that enigma....

Christ, I hope somone offers Stafford a big fat contract. A bunch of first round pics for him would be great

wonderbred will tell you they are all just a bunch of Marek Zagrapan's, so don't bother...

And maybe Stafford wants to wait a bit and Darcy doesn't want to throw him under the bus with the media because of it. Whatever it is, is it really that big of a deal that on June 28th, Darcy says things will go beyond July 1st?

It's also worth pointing out that the thing about it not being a priority was Vogl's words, not Regier's.

Should we also take a look at his production when he is playing on the line with our top 2 forwards vs. being on the 2nd or 3rd line?

It also seems to me that he plays well out in the Northwest. Thats where he is from, and most of his family is.

lol yeah that was pretty stupid of him but my memory of Stafford is still his goal against Toronto. The guy has a world of talent that he just doesn't use it on a nightly basis. If he gets offered too much, so be it, and we'll have to settle on playing next season without him. I hope that's not the case. I'd prefer keeping Stafford then anything else.

Regier said signing him before Wednesday is not a priority

After thinking this over for a bit, maybe we're looking at it the wrong way. What is the safe, minimum effort move for the Sabres this Summer? We've all talked about it: let the UFAs walk, re-sign the RFAs and bring up kids from Portland. Now, what would be the priority in that scenario? Re-signing our RFAs, because that's all that would be left to do. So, if re-signing Stafford is not Darcy's priority, I ask you, what do think is?!

Perhaps, Darcy is focusing his efforts on working trades or even looking through the list of UFA (second tier, obviously), planning his moves for Wednesday. :thumbsup:

After thinking this over for a bit, maybe we're looking at it the wrong way. What is the safe, minimum effort move for the Sabres this Summer? We've all talked about it: let the UFAs walk, re-sign the RFAs and bring up kids from Portland. Now, what would be the priority in that scenario? Re-signing our RFAs, because that's all that would be left to do. So, if re-signing Stafford is not Darcy's priority, I ask you, what do think is?!

Perhaps, Darcy is focusing his efforts on working trades or even looking through the list of UFA (second tier, obviously), planning his moves for Wednesday. :thumbsup:

I think his priority right now is trying to get rid of some salaries. However, i think it was Darcy who said it on Saturday on NHL Network that teams are not trying to add payroll right now. He said something to the effect teams are working differently with the cap however you're more likley to see deals spread out all over the summer, when teams don't find what they want in the FA market they will then start trade talks. To me, it appeared as if Regier was unsuccessful in trading Tallinder or Hecht, and it could take a while to move them.

Maybe he's gonna make Stafford and Sekera sit and wait until they move Hecht and Tallinder before they re-sign long term deals so Darcy can get active in the free agent market? Not sure. We'll see July 1st and on.

I think his priority right now is trying to get rid of some salaries. However, i think it was Darcy who said it on Saturday on NHL Network that teams are not trying to add payroll right now. He said something to the effect teams are working differently with the cap however you're more likley to see deals spread out all over the summer, when teams don't find what they want in the FA market they will then start trade talks. To me, it appeared as if Regier was unsuccessful in trading Tallinder or Hecht, and it could take a while to move them.

Maybe he's gonna make Stafford and Sekera sit and wait until they move Hecht and Tallinder before they re-sign long term deals so Darcy can get active in the free agent market? Not sure. We'll see July 1st and on.

What ever Regier's plan is I just hope it does not include his "wait and see" approach. I hope he has players picked out and their agents on speed dial. At 12:00:01 on July 1st Regier needs to be on the phone. I don't want to hear him on WGR next week playing the victim saying how "we didn't anticipate the market going that way."

(WGR 550) -- Darcy Regier joined The Howard Simon Show 40 hours before the start free agency and had plenty to say.

On the possibility of signing "big name" free agents:

"We would have to make some moves in conjunction with that," Regier said. "There are players we've looked at and felt there's a change that could be good for both the player and the organization. It doesn't mean the player won't be back. It doesn't mean we can't get the performance we expected from the player, but we would look at some changes."

WTF does that mean? the "player" is ours or someone else's?

On why they haven't reached deals with restricted free agents Andrej Sekera and Drew Stafford:

"We're going to take the position that we're not going to do something that becomes very costly purely out of the fear of an offer sheet."

On if they looked into disgruntled Ottawa forward Dany Heatley:

"I did talk to Bryan Murray, and we did have a conversation about where he is in that situation," Regier said. "Any move that Ottawa's going to make, they're going to get a big return. You take a look at who they might want from our hockey, and it's not an area we're prepared to move in."

Heatley would be great, but from what we hear and know, he's not that team player this team needs.

On why they haven't reached deals with restricted free agents Andrej Sekera and Drew Stafford:

"We're going to take the position that we're not going to do something that becomes very costly purely out of the fear of an offer sheet."

I almost wonder if Darcy is saying "Hey, we don't care if you offer up for these guys. Please, do it. We need some cap space."

I wonder he knows more about Stafford's mental game than we realize and thinks he may get an offer that meets what Drew might be asking for but Darcy doesn't feel he is worth. I could see a team taking a chance and offering him 2 mil, which he probably wants. Maybe Darcy figures that money could go towards resigning Moore.

I don't think an offer will be made to Sekera, so I see us resigning him.

I'm worried an offer might be made for Kaleta though. I could see a number of teams wanting to take a shot at him.

Okay, I listened to the whole thing. He meant our players, that some guys would be better off elsewhere.

They've given Stafford and Sekera qualified offers and fully intend to keep them. They don't want to give them big contracts to hurt the club, but rather wait and see if anyone makes an offer, but doesn't expect anyone to because of the whole Vanek thing.

They did not inquire about Heatley, they knew it would be too much in return.

DR says many clubs are finding out the return some clubs want for players just isn't there.

Archived