Darcy's comments in the Snooze today

BamBam

Okay, I listened to the whole thing. He meant our players, that some guys would be better off elsewhere.

They've given Stafford and Sekera qualified offers and fully intend to keep them. They don't want to give them big contracts to hurt the club, but rather wait and see if anyone makes an offer, but doesn't expect anyone to because of the whole Vanek thing.

They did not inquire about Heatley, they knew it would be too much in return.

DR says many clubs are finding out the return some clubs want for players just isn't there.

It would be a inexcusable fiasco for the Sabres to lose Sekera or Stafford because of financial concerns while Connolly's albatross like contract hangs around the neck of this franchise.

(WGR 550) -- Darcy Regier joined The Howard Simon Show 40 hours before the start free agency and had plenty to say.

On the possibility of signing "big name" free agents:

"We would have to make some moves in conjunction with that," Regier said. "There are players we've looked at and felt there's a change that could be good for both the player and the organization. It doesn't mean the player won't be back. It doesn't mean we can't get the performance we expected from the player, but we would look at some changes."

WTF does that mean? the "player" is ours or someone else's?

He is trying to talk of a roster dump in polite terms and doesn't want to embarrass any players or talk down their market value. To sign big name free agents would mean moving the assets they already have.

That's how I took it.

I think there is NFW we lose either Sekera or Stafford. I do think there is a possibility that someone makes an offer for either of them (but more likely Stafford) of up to $2.5MM per year, because the compensation is only a 2nd-rounder. My guess is that Darcy is hoping nobody does, so he can sign Stafford for $1.75MM or so -- which is more or less what he deserves.

As for speed-dialing on July 1 -- not gonna happen. The Sabres aren't going to go after the most expensive guys. They'll wait for the initial frenzy to die down and then do some bargain shopping (either in trade or free agency). This is fine with me -- I think there will be plenty of good veterans available at decent prices.

I think there is NFW we lose either Sekera or Stafford. I do think there is a possibility that someone makes an offer for either of them (but more likely Stafford) of up to $2.5MM per year, because the compensation is only a 2nd-rounder. My guess is that Darcy is hoping nobody does, so he can sign Stafford for $1.75MM or so -- which is more or less what he deserves.

As for speed-dialing on July 1 -- not gonna happen. The Sabres aren't going to go after the most expensive guys. They'll wait for the initial frenzy to die down and then do some bargain shopping (either in trade or free agency). This is fine with me -- I think there will be plenty of good veterans available at decent prices.

The calls don't have to be for the top priced guys. Identify players in a price range and try to get the deal done. Sitting back and waiting hasn't gotten the Sabres anywhere.

Kaleta's a $750K guy at most. There is no market there. He'll accept his qualifying offer and that will be done.

I see Brashear is available. Caps didn't renew him. Would you rather have a young Kaleta or an old Brashear?

I'll take Patty.

I see Brashear is available. Caps didn't renew him. Would you rather have a young Kaleta or an old Brashear?

I'll take Patty.

I'm still not paying anything north of $1 million for either of them. Why would a team bother making an offer in that range?

Would you rather have a young Kaleta or an old Brashear?

Why do we have to choose between an agitator and an enforcer? I'm not sure that a team needs an enforcer any more, but even if they do, Kaleta is not one. Goose is closer to being an enforcer than Kaleta.

I'm still not paying anything north of $1 million for either of them. Why would a team bother making an offer in that range?

They paid Brashear 1.2 mill last year. I'd rather have him than Peters anyday, but like you said, not for that much.

I think Kaleta will earn over a million a season in his career, he's skating much better and learning the game fast IMO.

Why do we have to choose between an agitator and an enforcer? I'm not sure that a team needs an enforcer any more, but even if they do, Kaleta is not one. Goose is closer to being an enforcer than Kaleta.

Not saying we do, but do we? If Kaleta learns to fight are we good? The kids got more problems with his head, I'd rather see Mair or Goose go at it. Rivet's good, he gets freakin pissed off when he fights.

They paid Brashear 1.2 mill last year. I'd rather have him than Peters anyday, but like you said, not for that much.

I think Kaleta will earn over a million a season in his career, he's skating much better and learning the game fast IMO.

He'll get to that higher salary, but it's not happening this year. I really think the qualifying offer is the best option for both parties. There's no way the team would give him a multi-year deal for over $1 million per season now. Sign the QO and go out there and try to earn that next contract.

Personally, I see him as a career sub-million dollar player, or whatever the equivalent will be with the future of inflated contracts.

Here's an interesting one....

Anybody want Todd Bertuzzi at 1.2 million?

Yes. He puts up similar numbers to Moore. My only issue is that he isn't a Center. So if we made room at forward for him and could keep Moore, I'm all about it.

Yes. He puts up similar numbers to Moore. My only issue is that he isn't a Center. So if we made room at forward for him and could keep Moore, I'm all about it.

Um, you do realize that Bertuzzi is the one that took out Dom's brother Steve right?

Um, you do realize that Bertuzzi is the one that took out Dom's brother Steve right?

Ah ha, that's right. That would sure make for interesting chemistry in the locker room wouldn't it? :unsure:

If we could finagle a better center than Moore and get Bertuzzi, then I'd have no problem doing that. If we can't, then we have to keep Moore. We can't drop anything at center. We need to add.

Archived