Crosby handshake flap

PASabreFan

Sid has said he won't apologize to anyone on Detroit for being late to the handshake line.

Is it not the responsibility of the captain to lead the line? Or am I making that up?

His failure to apologize will allow the legend of Crosby the Jerk to only grow.

Sid has said he won't apologize to anyone on Detroit for being late to the handshake line.

Is it not the responsibility of the captain to lead the line? Or am I making that up?

His failure to apologize will allow the legend of Crosby the Jerk to only grow.

Why should he?

Why should he?

What if the entire Pittsburgh team just stayed in the corner celebrating for 10 minutes, while the Wings waited, humiliated?

Would that be OK?

Crosby is the leader and should have broken away and led the team to the handshake line. His age and first Cup are mitigating factors. He should call Lidstrom and apologize. Heck, he just won the Cup. Graciousness should be flowing from him like champagne.

Refusing to say you're sorry when you've made a clear breach of hockey etiquette will dog him for a while. I always wondered why so many hate Crosby. I figured it was just the "hate the best" deal. Now I'm seeing why.

What if the entire Pittsburgh team just stayed in the corner celebrating for 10 minutes, while the Wings waited, humiliated?

Would that be OK?

Crosby is the leader and should have broken away and led the team to the handshake line. His age and first Cup are mitigating factors. He should call Lidstrom and apologize. Heck, he just won the Cup. Graciousness should be flowing from him like champagne.

Refusing to say you're sorry when you've made a clear breach of hockey etiquette will dog him for a while. I always wondered why so many hate Crosby. I figured it was just the "hate the best" deal. Now I'm seeing why.

calm down isn't it time for your stiz bath?

How hard would it be to say, "I was caught up with celebrating, I meant no disrespect to the Red Wings, the City of Detroit, and most of all to the traditions of hockey."

Maybe the NHL wants to paint him as a bad-boy or something...

Take a look at who brought this up, Kris Draper. He's been around forever. This is another sign of the slow death of many of the traditions in this game. So many of the young guys don't look at the game the same way as they did in the past. Head hunting and diving is through the roof. Say what you want about the code, but there has been plenty of talk about that disappearing too. Players don't respect each other anymore. I think this handshake incident is being overhyped, but you're only going to hear about these kind of things more and more moving forward. I guess there is a new NHL after all.

Would that be OK?

I'm not sure he broke etiquette..he was doing an interview seconds later.

I think if he is getting shuffled around by the league for TV interviews. .. the league tell the losing team to stick around or at least delay the handshake.......they wanted Crosby not Max Talbot.

Crosby should have apologized. It was a long and a great hard fought series. Pittsburgh had crazy parties planned for the next week and they had all the time in the world to celebrate, the least Crosby could do is go to the line and shake the hands of Nik Lidstrom and Kris Draper.... because both of those guys did last year when Crosby was in near tears, they still stopped their act and shook their hands.

How hard would it be to say, "I was caught up with celebrating, I meant no disrespect to the Red Wings, the City of Detroit, and most of all to the traditions of hockey."

It would have taken about as long as saying that he wouldn't apologize to the Red Wings for being late to the hand shake. It's not like he's losing big face that way either. Anyone would understand a kid getting caught up in the moment. I don't think it's a big deal that he won't, but I also think it would have been so easy and painless to just do it, that there really wasn't a reason not to.

Who cares, he was celebrating his cup victory then he thinks > "oh wait I need to shake Lidstroms hand" I don't think so, yet more of the big fish whining in the little pond

I hate him because he is a baby and immature. However, I think this handshake thing is being blown way out of proportion and that Detroit is a little sour for blowing 2 chances to close out the cup.

I hate him because he is a baby and immature. However, I think this handshake thing is being blown way out of proportion and that Detroit is a little sour for blowing 2 chances to close out the cup.

What's completely lost in a statement like this is that he's still just 21. His entire life he's been the center of attention and has, no doubt, been spoiled the whole way. He'll grow out of it eventually.

What's completely lost in a statement like this is that he's still just 21. His entire life he's been the center of attention and has, no doubt, been spoiled the whole way. He'll grow out of it eventually.

Yeah, not like he worked hard at it or practiced instead of playing Nintendo or anything. :rolleyes:

I watched the end and I thought that the handshake took too long. Sure the Pens were celebrating, but it did take way too long to let the Wings off the ice. Crosby was completely oblivious to the handshake and almost missed it.

Is this overblown. Yes.. But hockey is now over and the unthinkable happened. Detroit lost game 7 on their own ice. There is nothing left to talk about during the next few weeks. I think Crosby should take the cup to Detroit and dip it in the Detroit river... Why.. I don't know.. Why the heck not..

Yeah, not like he worked hard at it or practiced instead of playing Nintendo or anything. :rolleyes:

And how exactly does that counter the idea that he has been spoiled throughout the whole process? I'm guessing the list of 4 year pros living in their owner's house is very short.

Take a look at who brought this up, Kris Draper. He's been around forever. This is another sign of the slow death of many of the traditions in this game. So many of the young guys don't look at the game the same way as they did in the past. Head hunting and diving is through the roof. Say what you want about the code, but there has been plenty of talk about that disappearing too. Players don't respect each other anymore. I think this handshake incident is being overhyped, but you're only going to hear about these kind of things more and more moving forward. I guess there is a new NHL after all.

Yeah, and that punk Chris Chelios didn't shake hands a few years ago too and Scott Stevens never laid someone out with a headshot. Kids these days...

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story....67a&k=47308

Yeah, and that punk Chris Chelios didn't shake hands a few years ago too and Scott Stevens never laid someone out with a headshot. Kids these days...

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story....67a&k=47308

Of course there was headhunting in the past, but it is far more widespread today. If you think there's just as much respect among players today as their used to be, I have no idea what you're watching.

And how exactly does that counter the idea that he has been spoiled throughout the whole process? I'm guessing the list of 4 year pros living in their owner's house is very short.

Mario was still playing when they drafted Sid. It's not uncommon for players to move in with teammates for a while, yeah 3 seasons is a bit much, but probably saved him a good 40% on his house if he buys now. Mario took in Fleury too yaknow.

If we had drafted the next Gretzky I'm sure some people in the front office would spoil him too. My point, that you didn't get, was that that kids missed the birthday parties of friends, holidays, etc to go skate. He had the desire to make himself the best, something few kids have these days.

Now stop making me make excuses for the kid. Besides, he'll probably get thrown out by Mario because Mario's got two teenage daughters now that he wants to keep clean.

Of course there was headhunting in the past, but it is far more widespread today. If you think there's just as much respect among players today as their used to be, I have no idea what you're watching.

I remember one time Roby scoffed at the idea there was more respect in the game years ago, when he played.

Archived