Hey Larry, how is that "thorough evaluation" coming?

deluca67

The only real mistake Golisano has made thus far - although this one belongs in the great hall of fame of mistakes, along the likes of Olaf the Hairy, high chief of all vikings, who ordered 80.000 battle-helmets with the horns on the inside - is hiring Larry Quinn.

Quinn can be fine when it comes to business. Ideally, he'd keep his hands off the actual team all together and just focus on marketing and all of those aspects of the franchise. He has done good things. The variable pricing for the tickets was a stroke of genius (whether it was his ideas or someone on the staff). With the way professional sports are starting to get in bed with all the scalping agencies, the Sabres were ahead of the curve with that idea.

Unfortunately, the team itself is a business as well. He needs to step to the side and put that in the hands of people who know what they're doing. Maybe it's an ego thing, who knows, but until he does that, things more than likely won't change.

IF I was given a chance to develop 5 Acres of land, I might be able to bring in the bulldozer, knock down the trees and flatten the uneven ground. However that doesn't mean I would be able to erect any structure of any sort.

When Mr. Quinn was given the chance to develop a hockey business its my belief that he brought in his egotistical bulldozer, knocked down the trees and flatten the uneven ground. However that doesn't mean he would be able to erect any kind of successful business structure to the orgainzation. It jsut increased HIS own community importance by 100%

Sad for sure. Once he was gone the first time, I thought he was gone for good! I STILL can't believe he found his way back into hockey.

Quinn can be fine when it comes to business. Ideally, he'd keep his hands off the actual team all together and just focus on marketing and all of those aspects of the franchise. He has done good things. The variable pricing for the tickets was a stroke of genius (whether it was his ideas or someone on the staff). With the way professional sports are starting to get in bed with all the scalping agencies, the Sabres were ahead of the curve with that idea.

Unfortunately, the team itself is a business as well. He needs to step to the side and put that in the hands of people who know what they're doing. Maybe it's an ego thing, who knows, but until he does that, things more than likely won't change.

I agree, there's no doubt that Quinn knows the "money game" well, and probably plays it just as well.

It's just unfortunate that he seems so heavily involved in day-to-day operations too, cause he's way out of his league here.

IF I was given a chance to develop 5 Acres of land, I might be able to bring in the bulldozer, knock down the trees and flatten the uneven ground. However that doesn't mean I would be able to erect any structure of any sort.

When Mr. Quinn was given the chance to develop a hockey business its my belief that he brought in his egotistical bulldozer, knocked down the trees and flatten the uneven ground. However that doesn't mean he would be able to erect any kind of successful business structure to the orgainzation. It jsut increased HIS own community importance by 100%

Sad for sure. Once he was gone the first time, I thought he was gone for good! I STILL can't believe he found his way back into hockey.

Me neither, and why oh why did it have to be the Sabres again? :wallbash:

I agree, there's no doubt that Quinn knows the "money game" well, and probably plays it just as well.

It's just unfortunate that he seems so heavily involved in day-to-day operations too, cause he's way out of his league here.

Operative word. Can anyone say what his role is in the day to day hockey operations of the team?

Operative word. Can anyone say what his role is in the day to day hockey operations of the team?

Nothing concrete, but he did seem quite active in the whole debacle of the Vanek offer sheet, after the captains walked?

I guess after that, it's been a fair assumption that Quinn is involved in personnel decisions?

At the very least though, should we assume he is in no way involved in hockey decisions on this team, should he not have sent Regier packing for building the team he did? If he's not involved in hockey decisions, he certainly wouldn't be one to let the coach go.

And why the whole "the players let me know Lindy is the guy they want coaching them" remarks, further indicating his direct involvement in day-to-day decisions? Isn't this something the players should tell Regier, if he's the guy running the team?

That is if anyone ever actually said they wanted Ruff to coach them. Not saying the team doesn't want him here, but does this sound like something that normally happens in a pro-sports franchise? "The players let me know that yada, yada, yada, so that's what we're doing"? Sounds fishy to me, at the very least.

I'm not saying this is the way things are, just that this is the way things seem, at least to me.

So many unknowns.

Stole my thought however I would not have said it as eloquent as you ? Scary to think we're thinking alike :rolleyes:

I thought you were going for speculum. Damn.

Especially when I see something like this..........Defintely not thinking alike here.. :bag:

So into body cavity inspection there Huh ? :blink:

Don't answer, TMI :lol:

Nothing concrete, but he did seem quite active in the whole debacle of the Vanek offer sheet, after the captains walked?

I guess after that, it's been a fair assumption that Quinn is involved in personnel decisions?

At the very least though, should we assume he is in no way involved in hockey decisions on this team, should he not have sent Regier packing for building the team he did? If he's not involved in hockey decisions, he certainly wouldn't be one to let the coach go.

And why the whole "the players let me know Lindy is the guy they want coaching them" remarks, further indicating his direct involvement in day-to-day decisions? Isn't this something the players should tell Regier, if he's the guy running the team?

That is if anyone ever actually said they wanted Ruff to coach them. Not saying the team doesn't want him here, but does this sound like something that normally happens in a pro-sports franchise? "The players let me know that yada, yada, yada, so that's what we're doing"? Sounds fishy to me, at the very least.

I'm not saying this is the way things are, just that this is the way things seem, at least to me.

So many unknowns.

If you want to go back even further, you could bring up the Drury situation as well.

As for Red, I really don't think that anyone is trying to defend Quinn. It has come up in many other threads that Quinn seems to be the scapegoat because of smug attitude and the fact that no one really knows what the man is involved in on a day to day basis. This being said, I do not believe that Larry Quinn is worthless to the organization. He was heavily involved with the development of the new jerseys, bringing the WJC to Buffalo both of which made, or will make, the team a good chunk of change. Before Larry Quinn and Golisano teamed up the team was bankrupt, and consistently losing money, after Larry Quinn the team is valued around $169 million (2008's number).

Counldn't Larry Quinn be to blame as much as Dan Dipofi? Why doesn't anyone complain about him? He's the other guy that no one really knows much about but also got a piece of the franchise when Quinn did.

The article he's referring to is the article on Rene that you're thinking of. Although I do believe that Quinn is the problem with this franchise, there isn't enough out there to support it beyond speculation, which is pretty much the backbone of this forum. I agree with you that complaining about it has become stale, especially considering we've been doing it for several years now (some of us since mid-way through 06-07 when it was clear this team was just coasting to the playoffs).

I don't think there are many people here who will defend Quinn at this point. The ranking of "whipping boy" in the Sabres administration probably stands with Quinn>OSP>Darcy>/=Sissy Players>/=Ruff. It's just not worth rehashing or arguing about at this point, because we all know that we can only speculate.

thank you, darksabre.

I stand corrected, and am sorry for coming late to the party.

I see this Sabres forum, and voice my frustration over what I believe to be the obvious solution, but I also don't research if it has already been discussed.

My passion is to see the Sabres hoist the Cup, and it gets frustrating as a fan to see them be allowed to fall apart.

My apologies to all on this site for beating a dead horse.

If you want to go back even further, you could bring up the Drury situation as well.

As for Red, I really don't think that anyone is trying to defend Quinn. It has come up in many other threads that Quinn seems to be the scapegoat because of smug attitude and the fact that no one really knows what the man is involved in on a day to day basis. This being said, I do not believe that Larry Quinn is worthless to the organization. He was heavily involved with the development of the new jerseys, bringing the WJC to Buffalo both of which made, or will make, the team a good chunk of change. Before Larry Quinn and Golisano teamed up the team was bankrupt, and consistently losing money, after Larry Quinn the team is valued around $169 million (2008's number).

Counldn't Larry Quinn be to blame as much as Dan Dipofi? Why doesn't anyone complain about him? He's the other guy that no one really knows much about but also got a piece of the franchise when Quinn did.

yes, you could be right, and I take swipes at Quinn for all of the reasons that you mentioned.

But I also take into consideration his 1st stint with the club, and the comments by Robert in The Buffalo News and former anonymous former players who all point to Quinn for setting the culture. They are anonymous out of fear of suffering repurcussion from the club- which makes me believe it's Quinn. I mean, if they are talking bad about only Quinn, and scared of retaliation...who would retaliate except Quinn?

But, DiPofi could also be involved, your right.

Shrader, this is all that I was ever trying to say.

Scary, but we agree on this word for word.

So why do you have to give me such a hard time for my posts?

So many unknowns.

I agree with you, Kristian.

Collectively, Quinn has had alot of this over the past few years.

Ralph Wilson has always talked to some of the Bills players, and though I don't have a problem with an owner being communicative with the team- or even in the locker room with the players, after all, he is paying the salaries- I DO have a problem with an owner who has no clue about the sport trying to meddle AS IF he does know what he is doing.

And I will speculate that with the players talking to Quinn stuff, it reeks of a tattle-tail mentality. Couple that with the Robert article in the Buffalo News, and it begins to shape a picture...a speculative picture, but a possible picture of the culture Quinn is building inside HSBC arena.

I have to say "Sissy Players" come way before OSP does in my book - It's not like he's not pouring money into the team, it's just that his right hand man and GM aren't doing a very good job of spending that money wisely.

I think Golisano is a heckuva lot better owner than Rigas ever was, and he knows enough to stay away from making decisions in a game he knows nothing about.

The only real mistake Golisano has made thus far - although this one belongs in the great hall of fame of mistakes, along the likes of Olaf the Hairy, high chief of all vikings, who ordered 80.000 battle-helmets with the horns on the inside - is hiring Larry Quinn.

Yep, right hand.

The organization is a joke. I am 100% a fan of the team, Not the front office. Trust me there is a difference. Whatever their decisions are that effect my favorite team I have no choice but to live with and cheer on my team while hoping they come together and bypass the short comings that exist from the orgainization.

I agree with previous posts, make the moves, they speak louder than some meaningless press conference in the middle of June.

The best Mr. Larry Quinn could do at this point is announce his resignation to focus ALL of his energy to the Waterfront Development Project.

A team in Hamilton wouldn't be such a big deal if the Sabres were properly managed. You know Basille will spend whatever t takes to make his team a winner. Meanwhile the Sabres will do nothing and continue to slip further until fans can no longer support them.

PTR

A team in Hamilton wouldn't be such a big deal if the Sabres were properly managed. You know Basille will spend whatever t takes to make his team a winner. Meanwhile the Sabres will do nothing and continue to slip further until fans can no longer support them.

PTR

You do realize there is a cap, don't you?

It's not like the guy can buy players like Steinbrenner in baseball.

Hell, they tried to buy a team in Tampa last year.

Disaster.

Disaster.

Who knew that defense is actually part of a hockey team. Crazy!

Disaster.

I know you're taking on the "whatever it takes" language.

I also know you know the Sabres don't spend to the cap.

Archived