One things for sure

Two or less

Not that anyone really thought he would, although I heard some say he might because Patrick Lalime's hip injury may cost him his career. But according to Swedish newspaper, Tellqvist will sign with AK Bars.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hock...ticle5040711.ab

Not sure how to read Swedish, but seems like he will make between $10-12 million Euro there. Not sure how many years. That seems like ALOT of money for him.

Anyways, just thought i'd post some actual news on a slow news day.

Not that anyone really thought he would, although I heard some say he might because Patrick Lalime's hip injury may cost him his career. But according to Swedish newspaper, Tellqvist will sign with AK Bars.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hock...ticle5040711.ab

Not sure how to read Swedish, but seems like he will make between $10-12 million Euro there. Not sure how many years. That seems like ALOT of money for him.

Anyways, just thought i'd post some actual news on a slow news day.

It's 10-12 mill. Swedish Kronor, which is about 1.2-1.4 mill. Euro.

The article talks about him trying something different after never really being able to establish himself in the NHL after 8 seasons.

Thats to bad as he seemed to be a capable back up. If Lalime doesn't come back what would be some options? Enroth still is not ready. Even if Lalime comes back I am not sold on him he had a very shaky season before his possible career ending hip injury.

Thats to bad as he seemed to be a capable back up. If Lalime doesn't come back what would be some options? Enroth still is not ready. Even if Lalime comes back I am not sold on him he had a very shaky season before his possible career ending hip injury.

It's not completely up to date, but a quick google search brought up this list:

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unr...osition/#Goalie

Is Enroth more or less ready than Varlamov was?

Is Enroth more or less ready than Varlamov was?

Probably the same, but, Varlamov never sat. It's one thing starting each game, then sitting as the backup and playing a game every 3 weeks. Don't tell me you think due to Varlamov's success, you would want a 21 year old as a backup? Varlamov's will be on paper the starter for Washington, but if for some reason he struggles a bit or Jose Theodore (or whoever) beats him out as #1, Varlamov will be in Hershey, and not on the bench. Having a 21 year old backup is just stupid.

It's 10-12 mill. Swedish Kronor, which is about 1.2-1.4 mill. Euro.

The article talks about him trying something different after never really being able to establish himself in the NHL after 8 seasons.

Thanks for the translation. I didn't expect anyone to know it. I saw the million sign and assumed Sweden with in the Euro. Guess not. haha.

Probably the same, but, Varlamov never sat. It's one thing starting each game, then sitting as the backup and playing a game every 3 weeks. Don't tell me you think due to Varlamov's success, you would want a 21 year old as a backup? Varlamov's will be on paper the starter for Washington, but if for some reason he struggles a bit or Jose Theodore (or whoever) beats him out as #1, Varlamov will be in Hershey, and not on the bench. Having a 21 year old backup is just stupid.

I agree, you want your youngsters playing not sitting around doing nothing.

Barring another broken thumb or opposition attack on Miller, I say let Enroth stay where he is.

No, I want a good 21-year-old as the starter! Time marches on. Things change. Sports should be exciting. The idea of year after year waiting for Miller to break out, with Ruff's depressed face behind the bench, sounds pretty dull.

Why exactly is status quo a good idea for this franchise right now?

No, I want a good 21-year-old as the starter! Time marches on. Things change. Sports should be exciting. The idea of year after year waiting for Miller to break out, with Ruff's depressed face behind the bench, sounds pretty dull.

Why exactly is status quo a good idea for this franchise right now?

No doubt after about 15 losses last year I couldn't tell if they won or lost in the post game presser. maybe he needs some zoloft, or prozac.

Have to disagree with you here in part. Varly sat a lot in Hershey this year. Hershey split time almost equally amongst 3 goaltenders (Machesney 36 gms, Varly 27 gms, and Neuvirth 17). Varlamov was hurt for a portion, and up with the Caps for a few games, but so was Neuvirth. The real interesting thing with the Caps is, what happens when both Neuvirth and Varlamov are NHL ready. Seeing both of them play, they are almost on the same skill level.

I think that Enroth is probably more ready than Varlamov to play at the NHL level, but right now, it makes no sense to have him up there unless he's going to be playing 30+ games. He gets more out of playing 60+ games in Portland than playing 15-20 in Buffalo.

Maybe the Sabres will go over seas and look for a goalie if Lalime can't go. With Jocelyn Thibault and Lalime not really panning out all too well, maybe Sabres will do something different? It's worked for the Ducks (Hiller) and Hawks (Niemi), maybe Sabres can grab a European goalie too?

I got this idea from reading Jason Mirtle's blog- http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/5/4/863992...or-jonas-hiller

I think picking up a backup if Patty Lalime is done isn't too huge a priority at this point as long as they don't wait til the very last second. They won't play much anyways unless something happens like this year. And, if it does we're hosed no matter what back-up is in net. Enroth needs to ferment some more in the minors though. Seems like a lot for Tellqvist too but I'm not sure what kinds of money they throw around over there.

May 04, 2009

Tellqvist to KHL

The Buffalo Sabres acquired Mikael Tellqvist at the trade deadline as a short-term insurance policy. Turns out that?s exactly what he was.

The goaltender?s career in Buffalo lasted just six games, as the pending unrestricted free agent has signed to play with Ak Bars of Russia?s KHL. A report out of Sweden said Tellqvist signed for about $1.3 million, up from this season?s NHL salary of $800,000.

The Sabres sent a fourth-round draft pick to Phoenix in exchange for Tellqvist in early March. Ryan Miller was injured at the time, and Patrick Lalime was the only netminder in the Sabres? organization with NHL experience.

Tellqvist finished the year as Miller?s backup after Lalime suffered a season-ending hip ailment. The 29-year-old went 2-1 with a 2.35 goals-against average and .928 save percentage.

---John Vogl

Seems John's a little slow on the uptake.

I think picking up a backup if Patty Lalime is done isn't too huge a priority at this point as long as they don't wait til the very last second. They won't play much anyways unless something happens like this year. And, if it does we're hosed no matter what back-up is in net. Enroth needs to ferment some more in the minors though. Seems like a lot for Tellqvist too but I'm not sure what kinds of money they throw around over there.

It is a big deal if they would have had a capable back-up while RM was on the bench then they probably would have had a better shot of making the playoffs. they need to go out and get a capable back up. Even if Lalime is "better" how well do you expect him to do?

It is a big deal if they would have had a capable back-up while RM was on the bench then they probably would have had a better shot of making the playoffs. they need to go out and get a capable back up. Even if Lalime is "better" how well do you expect him to do?

As well as the team in front of him.

Archived