From the Ashes of San Jose

SabresFan526

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4113309

Doug Wilson seems to be in a very foul mood after his team underachieved in the playoffs yet again. I know Thornton and Marleau have NTCs, but I think Wilson might be at a point where he just wants to get rid of those two as they have historically been inept in the playoffs. Maybe it's a good thing for Buffalo as Wilson and Regier seem to have a good relationship given the Campbell trade and the Rivet trade in recent memory. Maybe the Sabres can put together a big deal like Stafford, Tallinder, maybe Pominville or Hecht and some picks for maybe a Clowe, Pavelski, Murray, or Michalak. I think Marleau and Thornton might be difficult to acquire given their NTCs, but I think the Sharks are going to look like a much different team next year, that's for sure, and hopefully from these ashes the Sabres can swing a trade and get some playoff tested guys. Don't read too much into the trade scenarios here, but the point coming from this is that it looks like Wilson is mad and is going to get rid of some guys giving teams around the NHL an opportunity to get some great players.

The Sharks may definitely be interested in making key roster changes over the summer.

They made a coaching change, and actually did WORSE this year in the play offs. Management + ownership may now look at the players as the source of the problem and begin shipping a few off. Its possible they may trade one of their star centers (Marleau or Thornton), if not to just shake the roster up.

However, they may just sit on their hands and give it another go.

What I feel is more important to focus on is that Grier is a UFA this summer... :thumbsup:

The Sharks may definitely be interested in making key roster changes over the summer.

They made a coaching change, and actually did WORSE this year in the play offs. Management + ownership may now look at the players as the source of the problem and begin shipping a few off. Its possible they may trade one of their star centers (Marleau or Thornton), if not to just shake the roster up.

What I feel is more important to focus on is that Grier is a UFA this summer... :thumbsup:

Dare i say the sabres shallow their pride,admit to Grier that he took alot of heart with him into the shark tank,and give him an offer sheet?

2.1 for 2 seasons?

I dont think many people will disagree with this. Having Grier back for 2.1 a season is much better than giving that money to the general.

Great point. I think this goes to show everyone that Ron Wilson was not the problem in San Jose. It's the fact that Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau are afraid to perform in the clutch. This is clearly an issue where the players are consistently refusing to show up in the playoffs. I don't know if it's physical fatigue or mental fatigue or what, but this is clearly a problem with the star players not the coaching.

Having said that, there are still some guys on that team that I'd love to have in Buffalo. I don't think Thornton or Marleau are realistic given their no trade clauses and all, but I would love to have a Joe Pavelski or Ryan Clowe or Milan Michalak. I especially like Clowe because he's big and physical and is exactly what Buffalo needs up front. Just my opinion, though.

Thornton always does great during the regular season, which would help us get to the playoffs. Then, since we all know that Miller is a playoff goalie, we could start riding him in them. Oh, and Lindy's a playoff coach, too.

OK, OK, a little bit of sarcasm there. Honestly, I don't think that either of these guys would hurt the team in any way and certainly would help us in the regular season. Marleau has had several decent playoff performances (e.g., 8G, 4A in 11 Games during the 2003-04 playoffs and 9G, 5A in 11 Games during the 2005-06 playoffs) and is known for his leadership abilities. Unfortunately, the real time to get him was probably last year after his disappointing regular season (18G, 29A, 47P which is his only year below 30G and 70P since the lockout, including this year), when they were supposedly shopping him. Thornton has a bigger "book" on him as far as playoff choking, so they may definitely be shopping him this year.

I thought that as soon I responded.

For the last couple days I've been trying to figure out which result sucks more, missing the playoffs or winning the President's Trophy, only to be bounced quickly in the first round. I think we could make a solid case for both.

Dare i say the sabres shallow their pride,admit to Grier that he took alot of heart with him into the shark tank,and give him an offer sheet?

2.1 for 2 seasons?

I dont many people will disagree with this. Having Grier back for 2.1 a season is much better than giving that money to the general.

In a heartbeat.

2.1 for 2 seasons?

I dont many people will disagree with this. Having Grier back for 2.1 a season is much better than giving that money to the general.

Agreed 100%. I want Grier back. He is a bigger, more physical, and more talented version of Matt Ellis. And he is a guy you can match up against any team's top line as a shutdown winger. I'd love to bring him back, and he won't cost all that much.

For the last couple days I've been trying to figure out which result sucks more, missing the playoffs or winning the President's Trophy, only to be bounced quickly in the first round. I think we could make a solid case for both.

with the 2nd choice at least we get to watch playoff hockey. It is so easy to lose interest when we are out. Watching the intensity and excitement of these games really pisses me off that we are not in it.

Agreed 100%. I want Grier back. He is a bigger, more physical, and more talented version of Matt Ellis. And he is a guy you can match up against any team's top line as a shutdown winger. I'd love to bring him back, and he won't cost all that much.

I have no one specific in mind, but I can't believe that DR could not find a vet player with a similar skill set of Grier's for a lot less than 2+ mil a year. I'll pass.

I highly doubt that Grier would come back. Too much water under the bridge.

From what I've been reading, Marleau is the guy SJ is expected to move. 6'2, 220, age 29, center, team captain, 38-33-71 pts last year in 76 games -- I'd take him in a heartbeat. However, he's only got 1 year left on his contract, at $6.3MM, then he's a UFA. I'd have a hard time giving up Roy or Connolly for 1 year of Marleau. OTOH, if we could get him with an extension, I'd gladly give up Roy, Gerbe and our #1 pick for him. (We're not getting him for Hecht and Tallinder.)

Grier left Buffalo voluntarily...and convinced Drury to do the same because he said management isn't committed to winning. The guy's mediocre and doesn't believe in management here. Do you really want him back? I don't. The Sabres have enough mediocrity.

Last I saw Drury was underachieving elsewhere too.

Grier seen the truth. Management hasn't been commited to winning for 2 seasons now. I dont blame Grier for one second for leaving. Why would he chose to stay for a team who refused to give him a half a million dollar raise? Instead electing to hold on to Max for 3 more seasons,at 3 mil a pop.

Its unbelivable how they've destroyed this team. We can only pray that this off season they "revamp" the roster. In sabres standards that would mean 2 off season trades. :death:

He only wrote it like that because he was talking about a black man.

Haha. :thumbsup:

Someone mentioned the Sharks were rumored to be shopping Marleau, but Im not quite sure if San Jose would shop their captain (Marleau) before shopping Thornton.

However, if you management/ownership wanted to make a statement, what better way than trade their captain? That would certainly rock the ship.

Im not entirely sure what the Sharks would look for in a trade for Marleau though. They got knocked out of the playoffs by a bigger, stronger team, so I'd doubt they'd be enticed by anything we could offer them.

2.1 for 2 seasons?

I dont think many people will disagree with this. Having Grier back for 2.1 a season is much better than giving that money to the general.

Which is exactly why Darcy would never make such a move. It makes too much sense.

Which is exactly why Darcy would never make such a move. It makes too much sense.

Hang on, Kristian. Regier did try to bring Grier back, for the same amount that SJ gave him. Grier said no.

And Regier might try again, with Grier saying no again, without us ever knowing it.

Hang on, Kristian. Regier did try to bring Grier back, for the same amount that SJ gave him. Grier said no.

And Regier might try again, with Grier saying no again, without us ever knowing it.

He might indeed, however the point was that the poster would rather pay Grier 2.1 a year than paying MacArthur the same amount, and in that particular case I'm 100% certain Darcy would rather spend his free cash on the brat pack, before bringing anyone else in.

Darcy loves the brat pack for some weird reason, and he seems to be just about the only one these days.

Grier seen the truth.
He only wrote it like that because he was talking about a black man.

Murdering of the English language AND racial comments... Wow, this site really does make me feel like I'm back home. ;)

Archived