you think life is bad as a Sabres fan?

Eleven

They've advanced out of the first round exactly one time in the last twenty years.

Meanwhile, Lindy Ruff has guided the Sabres to "final four" appearances in one third of the seasons he's coached (4 out of 12).

Not so bad when you look at it that way, is it? (In fact, how many teams have reached the conference finals more than 4 times in the last 12 years? I suspect Detroit, Jersey, maybe one or two more of the "usual suspects," and that's it.)

They've advanced out of the first round exactly one time in the last twenty years.

Meanwhile, Lindy Ruff has guided the Sabres to "final four" appearances in one third of the seasons he's coached (4 out of 12).

Not so bad when you look at it that way, is it? (In fact, how many teams have reached the conference finals more than 4 times in the last 12 years? I suspect Detroit, Jersey, maybe one or two more of the "usual suspects," and that's it.)

The better question is how come they only advanced to the cup finals once despite four trips to the conference finals? <_<

The better question is how come they only advanced to the cup finals once despite four trips to the conference finals? <_<

The most hated team of all, the Flyers, made the conference finals 5 times in the last 14 years, reaching the Cup finals only once.

How many coaches during that period? They are not content.

Or they suffer from a lack of consistency. There are lots of ways to look at it, but I know this: The Sabres have been "in it" in the last 12 years more than most other teams have been.

Thanks, Shrader, for noting the Flyers--they are one of the "usual suspects" as far as I'm concerned.

1998: Kolzig & Bondra.

2006: Injuries. Nothing else would have stopped that team.

2007: Too full of themselves down the stretch. Undeserved sense of entitlement. Incredibly motivated opponent.

How many coaches during that period? They are not content.

I'm not sure if using the idea of emulating Flyers fans is a good rhetorical strategy. Philly could win the cup in back to back seasons and they would call for their coach's head the first time their team lost three in a row.

Or they suffer from a lack of consistency. There are lots of ways to look at it, but I know this: The Sabres have been "in it" in the last 12 years more than most other teams have been.

Thanks, Shrader, for noting the Flyers--they are one of the "usual suspects" as far as I'm concerned.

They don't fit in with Detroit-New Jersey since those teams actually win, but yeah, I can see how they get that label. The interesting thing about Philly is that they have also fallen to the bottom, only to rebuild just like Buffalo did at one point. Buffalo did that once and now has to again. But then again, like X and PA have pointed out, they did it in a very different way than Buffalo did (or will after this second fall from grace).

Yet another example of how Darcy Regier is smarter then most fans, including myself. I was very much for bringing in Olli Jokinen at what ever cost, and thought he would help us a lot. And when Calgary traded for him, i'll admit and I was jealous of the Flames. But Jokinen was a nobody in the playoffs. Each game i read in the Canadian press how disappointed their fans were and the TSN feed on versus, announcers kept referring to Jokinen as a failure in Calgary. Thanks for not shipping out some talent to get Jokinen, Darcy! :beer:

They won a cup in '89. I don't feel that bad for them.

Yet another example of how Darcy Regier is smarter then most fans, including myself. I was very much for bringing in Olli Jokinen at what ever cost, and thought he would help us a lot. And when Calgary traded for him, i'll admit and I was jealous of the Flames. But Jokinen was a nobody in the playoffs. Each game i read in the Canadian press how disappointed their fans were and the TSN feed on versus, announcers kept referring to Jokinen as a failure in Calgary. Thanks for not shipping out some talent to get Jokinen, Darcy! :beer:

I was thinking to myself last night that I hadn't seen anything from Jokinen during the bit I watched. I feel the same way about Jason Blake, he never seems to do much when I'm watching.

Present day, they've got to be frustrated. They've got bigger names than the Sabres do, but they get nowhere.

I'm sure they are. We went something like 13 straight seasons without getting out of the first round in the 80's and 90's that I remember all too well, so I know how they feel. They can still say they won a cup, something every Buffalo sports fan dreams of.

What's your explanation for 1998 and 2007?

The explanation for '98 was that in the final game of BUF vs WSH, there was a blatent offsides play that wasn't called. Of course they scored and the Sabres lose. Not saying Buffalo would have beaten Detroit that year, but with Dom in net, I'm sure they would not have been swept like the CAPS were. I was very pissed off after that game.

'05-'06 was the Sabres year, hands down. Edmonton would not have stood a chance. DAMMIT!! :wallbash:

'07 they ran out of grit and also the line of Heatly Alfie and Spezza killed them.

The explanation for '98 was that in the final game of BUF vs WSH, there was a blatent offsides play that wasn't called. Of course they scored and the Sabres lose. Not saying Buffalo would have beaten Detroit that year, but with Dom in net, I'm sure they would not have been swept like the CAPS were. I was very pissed off after that game.

'05-'06 was the Sabres year, hands down. Edmonton would not have stood a chance. DAMMIT!! :wallbash:

'07 they ran out of grit and also the line of Heatly Alfie and Spezza killed them.

I thought it was an icing, but whatever... I remember being livid about that too. Little did I know what would be in store the following year.

No excuses. At some point the coach has to take some responsibility for his team not being able to get over the hurdle.

Blue, I didn't present an excuse for either year. 1998, I simply think that Bondra and Kolzig outplayed Hasek and the Sabres anemic offense. 2007, what I wrote definitely doesn't represent any kind of excuse. I do think the coach should take and in fact took some responsibility. What about the on-ice leaders? Shouldn't Briere and Drury take some responsibility? And if so, why did we want them back?

Archived