Another confirmation of the trouble that is

tom webster

How ironic this is coming from the guy who had his picture taken while having his sausage grabbed by teammates.

"We're a young team. We keep saying that every year," center Derek Roy said. "At some point, we're going to have to mature as individuals."

I'd be much more impressed if he said..."I need to mature".

If those scenes where no one is talking in the lockerroom or on the ice during practice aren't Exhibit A and B that Ruff has lost these guys, has "coached" the life out of them, I'll eat Punch Imlach's fedora.

I also question Vogl's use of "creative non-fiction" where he recreates the lockerroom scene. :)

If those scenes where no one is talking in the lockerroom or on the ice during practice aren't Exhibit A and B that Ruff has lost these guys, has "coached" the life out of them, I'll eat Punch Imlach's fedora.

I also question Vogl's use of "creative non-fiction" where he recreates the lockerroom scene. :)

I'm not sure how that equates to Lindy has lost the team. The article deals with players not being able to take criticism from their own teammates and not knowing how to handle it when it is given. It is the same thing that Campbell alluded to in his Toronto interview after being dealt to San Jose. If anything, it is an indictment of Reiger for assembling these guys and not being able to see that bringing in just Rivet asn't going to change things.

I wonder why this story was not written until after this past season when it has obviously been this way for a long time if Campbell was complaining about it.

It's funny ... the media repeatedly beat up the Sabres (and sometimes STILL beat up the Sabres) about botching Drury/Briere/Campbell ... so much so that everyone in town screamed and screamed for the Sabres to sign guys to long-term deals so it would not happen again ... so the Sabres signed a bunch of guys to long-term deals ... and now it turns out all those guys with the exception of Miller are a bunch of quiet followers and everyone wants them to get rid of them.

I'm not saying that the Sabres did all those deals because of public pressure or that they should be absolved from blame, just saying it is kind of ironic. Why has it taken this long for the players to be taken to task? Again, management is a huge issue and they put the players in place, I get it, but why was this not brought up over the last two seasons? Every time there was a rough stretch, everyone jumped right to blaming management for letting Drury and Briere go and the lack of leadership. As far as I am concerned, that gave every guy in that locker room a built in excuse and they have been leaning on it for two seasons. I can understand for 2007-08, but not this season. But all year, all we heard from the players is "We need to grow up" and the media was like Pavlov's dogs and automatically translated that into "Hey, not my fault, blame management for letting our leaders go." Why did it take missing the playoffs TWICE for someone to lay some blame on the players in that area?

Again, not condoning or endorsing anything management has done ... I am as down about this team as I can ever remember because I am convinced Quinn has his hands in way too much of the hockey side and nothing good can come from that. But it's ironic, in my opinion, for the media to all of a sudden start saying the players need to hold each other accountable when for two years they have not held the players accountable and laid everything at the feet of management, giving the players an easy out.

I'm not sure how that equates to Lindy has lost the team. The article deals with players not being able to take criticism from their own teammates and not knowing how to handle it when it is given. It is the same thing that Campbell alluded to in his Toronto interview after being dealt to San Jose. If anything, it is an indictment of Reiger for assembling these guys and not being able to see that bringing in just Rivet asn't going to change things.

I took the article as being about how lifeless the Sabres players were off the ice, and it certainly showed up on the ice a lot of times. There was one blurb about one night where someone was offended. To me, the question is why so many of the guys are so down. Take a look at this video, particularly the goal celebration, and tell me what happened to this guy (30-second mark on the video):

Any guesses at to who the off-the-record chats were with? I'd betting on Adam Mair and Andrew Peters. There are always guys on every team whose mouth is bigger than their game. Gaustad is another candidate, since he spoke up the night of the Washington game.

QFT. Rivet was a step in the right direction, but not nearly enough to get the job done.

How ironic this is coming from the guy who had his picture taken while having his sausage grabbed by teammates.

This pic?

I don't think it's any different then the old days. I've heard plenty of stories about "alumni" boozing it up back in the day. Just that people didn't have cameras on their hip to snap pics and post 'em in 3 seconds to the world.

I know he said other stuff, but I don't remember Campbell saying anything about this. Not saying he didn't, I just don't remember it. It must not have been that big of a deal for him, though, seeing as how shocked and upset he was for being traded.

When Campbell was here, I felt that he had a good vocal presence in the locker room. With him on the team, I felt the Sabres were stronger both on the ice and off the ice. It was one of the reasons I hoped the Sabres would try to retain him.

Im not saying he's worth the vastly inflated 7 million he receives now in Chicago, nor was he the perfect defensive player. But I felt he was a team veteran worth investing in, one that did indeed hold both himself and teammates accountable for their play.

Oh well.

I agree with this article though. The Sabres need someone to yell at them. Make them feel uncomfortable; it makes you play with more of an edge. This team needs a drastic wake up call and a strong message: the party is over, time to get back to work.

I think this is a big indicator that this is a team now that lacks character. In 05-06 we had Jay McKee, Brian Campbell, and Marty Biron, three players with outgoing personalities who, with Andrew Peters and Miller, probably made for a very loose, more vocal locker room. Now what do we have? Nothing. This team needs some personality back. As much as I hated him in the 06 Playoffs, Mike Commodore is that kind of player this team lacks.

This pic?

I don't think it's any different then the old days. I've heard plenty of stories about "alumni" boozing it up back in the day. Just that people didn't have cameras on their hip to snap pics and post 'em in 3 seconds to the world.

Wow, you seemed to have that link quite handy!

Do you think Jerry Korab would have let Danny Gare grab his junk? Oh my now I'm all flushed with excitement!

I know he said other stuff, but I don't remember Campbell saying anything about this. Not saying he didn't, I just don't remember it. It must not have been that big of a deal for him, though, seeing as how shocked and upset he was for being traded.

When San Jose played Toronto after the trade last year, Campbell did an interview with a Toronto paper and he commented that the difference between San Jose and Buffalo was that players on the Sharks took criticism better then players on the Sabres. I don't remember the exact words but I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this site with regard to it if someone wants to look it up.

When San Jose played Toronto after the trade last year, Campbell did an interview with a Toronto paper and he commented that the difference between San Jose and Buffalo was that players on the Sharks took criticism better then players on the Sabres. I don't remember the exact words but I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this site with regard to it if someone wants to look it up.

I do remember that. I guess my point is that it must not have been that bad because he was upset that he was traded. Also, if he was one of those veteran leaders that I keep hearing so much about, then why didn't HE say something while he was here.

I think that is why we are all hanging on to this Rene Robert story, someone actually cares enough to get mad.

I do remember that. I guess my point is that it must not have been that bad because he was upset that he was traded. Also, if he was one of those veteran leaders that I keep hearing so much about, then why didn't HE say something while he was here.I think that is why we are all hanging on to this Rene Robert story, someone actually cares enough to get mad.

I believe that he and others on the team did say something within the room. This is the kind of thing that while you are on the team has to be kept in the room. Can you imagine the repercussions if someone on the team blasted his teammates in public? That has never worked out.

I believe that he and others on the team did say something within the room. This is the kind of thing that while you are on the team has to be kept in the room. Can you imagine the repercussions if someone on the team blasted his teammates in public? That has never worked out.

Yup. You don't bring out the "dirty laundry" like that.

Yup. You don't bring out the "dirty laundry" like that.

I was actually taliking about in the lockeroom. HE is the one who said that critisism wasn't taken well while he was here. Well tough, if he was the leader that people keep telling me he was, then he should have pursued it, even if it meant ruffling some feathers. You can get people mad at you and still be friends. In fact some of my best friends piss me off the most. That's what is wrong with this team and it goes along with your WGR/darcy and quinn discussion. A fire has to be lit under someone because right now it does not seem like anybody really cares other than us.

Archived