is john vogl really calling for lindy to be axed?

blugold43

I remember that team almost as well as I remember Paul Cyr hitting slappers from the blue line 30 rows up on breakaways.

That, and Doug Smith flying down the ice making a nice move or 2 or 3 to get to the net and then either shooting wide or right into the crest of the goalie. :doh:

If that guy had 1/2 a pair of hands, I'm tellin' ya, we coulda been a contender.

That, and Doug Smith flying down the ice making a nice move or 2 or 3 to get to the net and then either shooting wide or right into the crest of the goalie. :doh:

If that guy had 1/2 a pair of hands, I'm tellin' ya, we coulda been a contender.

If there were messager boards then, we could have had the chance to read...

trade Cyr, Lacombe, Smith, and Halkidis for Lanny McDonald.

Here's a question: If Larry Quinn took a more hands off approach, and let Darcy freely go about, do you think it would be worth keeping Darcy around?

Until I see some compelling evidence, I can't go along with the demonization of LQ. To me it all goes back to TG's refusal to agree to long-term $20MM+ contracts for Briere, Drury and Soupy. He didn't finally come around on this until the Summer of 2008 -- but by then the horse had left the barn.

So, while plenty of blame lies with Darcy, I'm OK with giving him one more year to clean up this mess.

If there were messager boards then, we could have had the chance to read...

trade Cyr, Lacombe, Smith, and Halkidis for Lanny McDonald.

Now, THERE was a mustache.

I have no problem with Ruff being shown the door as long as Regier goes too. I don't want to hear this team doesn't have enough talent to be in the top 16 teams in the NHL. I don't like the job Regier has done with the makeup of the team, but they should have been good enough to make the playoffs the last two years.

They didn't and therefore IMO Regier and Ruff should both go.

man, the team WAS NEVER THAT GOOD. they signed two guys in drury and briere who came in here and lit guys on fire and turned this into a should-have-been cup-winning team...by the force of their will, and lindy's expertise as a playoff coach (remember when we almost won the cup as a 7 seed?).

then a-hol darcy thinks he's got "the new nhl" all figured out and runs them both out of town to save money. now we're back in the schitter again, and in other news, the sun came up today.

you want ruff fired for that?

man, the team WAS NEVER THAT GOOD. they signed two guys in drury and briere who came in here and lit guys on fire and turned this into a should-have-been cup-winning team...by the force of their will, and lindy's expertise as a playoff coach (remember when we almost won the cup as a 7 seed?).

then a-hol darcy thinks he's got "the new nhl" all figured out and runs them both out of town to save money. now we're back in the schitter again, and in other news, the sun came up today.

So it's "a-hol" Regier's fault for following a policy that his owner forced upon him?

So it's "a-hol" Regier's fault for following a policy that his owner forced upon him?

he had a chance to lock up both briere and drury (the glue that held the whole thing together) at a more reasonable price the year before. he didn't do it because he was too stupid to see their value. and then he cast them off and overpaid "his own" players, rationalizing to himself that he had the whole thing figured out and the team would be fine when all his young amerks "matured". we all know how that turned out and some of us have seen the whole thing coming. darcy sucks.

he had a chance to lock up both briere and drury (the glue that held the whole thing together) at a more reasonable price the year before. he didn't do it because he was too stupid to see their value. and then he cast them off and overpaid "his own" players, rationalizing to himself that he had the whole thing figured out and the team would be fine when all his young amerks "matured". we all know how that turned out and some of us have seen the whole thing coming. darcy sucks.

The point's over there. You missed it.

If we missed the playoffs before and after Drury and Briere... and it was them that did all the ass lighting... then isn't Lindy irrelevant.

The point's over there. You missed it.

no i don't think so, buddy. the guy talked about having "policy forced upon" poor darcy. the only policy in buffalo is "don't spend too much money." so the guy took the limited resources he had and used them to overpay his own guys while letting our best players walk. he's garbage.

If we missed the playoffs before and after Drury and Briere... and it was them that did all the ass lighting... then isn't Lindy irrelevant.

you don't think ruff is a good playoff coach? tell me if you really think that because then i'll know what i'm dealing with here. four conference finals in how many trips to the playoffs?

with the garbage he's had to coach during most of his time here, what he's done with the limited number of opportunities he's had is a miracle.

no i don't think so, buddy. the guy talked about having "policy forced upon" poor darcy. the only policy in buffalo is "don't spend too much money." so the guy took the limited resources he had and used them to overpay his own guys while letting our best players walk. he's garbage.

Keep on searching. You'll find it eventually.

you don't think ruff is a good playoff coach? tell me if you really think that because then i'll know what i'm dealing with here. four conference finals in how many trips to the playoffs?

with the garbage he's had to coach during most of his time here, what he's done with the limited number of opportunities he's had is a miracle.

Can we drop the whole,"He didn't have any players" crap. He had an all world goalie and a team with 3(I'll say it again...THREE) number one lines on it.

Ruff was outcoached by LaViolette.

By Captain Kagaroo as well.

Hey, folks - take a look around. Pittsburgh goes to the Finals in '07-'08 with Therrien. Their performance goes downhill this season and poof - they got a new coach (a rookie, at that). They made the playoffs and are a game away from advancing. In Montreal - Carbonneau out, Gainey in. Geez, the Rangers fired Renney when they were already IN a playoff spot!

I like Lindy Ruff. He's a good coach, probably not great. But he has been here TWELVE YEARS. I've never understood this area's acceptance of mediocrity. Does taking the team to the Finals once give Lindy a free ride forever?

Sometimes, even if the coach is good, the message begins to sound stale. New blood, new ways of looking at things. That has to happen once in a while or the team stagnates.

Sure, the players need to shoulder blame. So does the GM. Frankly, it would be refreshing to see a top-to-bottom house cleaning.

BTW, please don't think this means I endorse firing coaches in mid-season. A little more stability would be a good thing. Twelve years may be overkill, though.......

Hey, folks - take a look around. Pittsburgh goes to the Finals in '07-'08 with Therrien. Their performance goes downhill this season and poof - they got a new coach (a rookie, at that). They made the playoffs and are a game away from advancing. In Montreal - Carbonneau out, Gainey in. Geez, the Rangers fired Renney when they were already IN a playoff spot!

I like Lindy Ruff. He's a good coach, probably not great. But he has been here TWELVE YEARS. I've never understood this area's acceptance of mediocrity. Does taking the team to the Finals once give Lindy a free ride forever?

Sometimes, even if the coach is good, the message begins to sound stale. New blood, new ways of looking at things. That has to happen once in a while or the team stagnates.

Sure, the players need to shoulder blame. So does the GM. Frankly, it would be refreshing to see a top-to-bottom house cleaning.

BTW, please don't think this means I endorse firing coaches in mid-season. A little more stability would be a good thing. Twelve years may be overkill, though.......

I truly understand your point and the point many people make for firing a coach and showing proof how other clubs have had success with new coaches, but, honestly i hate it more then anything when people bring up Pittsburgh as an example. We never had 3 top 2 or whatever it was as they did (Staal, Crosby, Malkin). We don't have their type of players. Ruff has kept us competitive many times with a pretty poor roster. The Pens have a loaded roster. And last season they added Marion Hossa to the mix.

I truly understand your point and the point many people make for firing a coach and showing proof how other clubs have had success with new coaches, but, honestly i hate it more then anything when people bring up Pittsburgh as an example. We never had 3 top 2 or whatever it was as they did (Staal, Crosby, Malkin). We don't have their type of players. Ruff has kept us competitive many times with a pretty poor roster. The Pens have a loaded roster. And last season they added Marion Hossa to the mix.

I have to throw this one out there. Staal does not belong in the same sentence as Crosby and Malkin. Those two have essentially put up more points in one season than Staal has in his entire career up to this point.

I don't think his MESSAGE is stale, he has changed over the years. He is stuck with the players that worked during run and gun and tried his best to change them to d-type play. that's what hasn't worked.

Archived