GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

wonderbread

I seem to remember thinking the same thing last year after the Bruins game, which gave me (false) hope for this season. :wallbash:

Yeah, been there, done that. I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm watching an average team with nothing on the line playing a good team that has their minds set on tasks greater than a non-playoff team, regardless how they may have preferred not to face the Sabres in the playoffs this year.

Yeah, been there, done that. I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm watching an average team with nothing on the line playing a good team that has their minds set on tasks greater than a non-playoff team, regardless how they may have preferred not to face the Sabres in the playoffs this year.

I agree, Mr 2K(posts). No matter how good the Sabres look, You can just tell that the Bruins are a better team.

I sure hope that after today's big win they all go out tonight, get laid, and have a great time. Because tomorrow they should all go f#%K themselves for all the plays they left on the ice this year.

There isn't a team out there that doesn't leave plays out on the ice. Your emotional attachment to the Sabres just makes it seem like we left more out there, when it's probably not true.

Farewell for this season, Sabres. I had a good time, for the most part. Just fell a little bit short in the end.

And congrats to Vanek on the 40th goal...with 16 seconds remaining in the season, no less.

Well, nice way to end the season, but boy is it frustrating. Clearly, the Sabres are good enough to be a playoff team considering how they played against Boston, Montreal, Carolina, Washington, and other top teams in the East. But, they will not make the playoffs because they could not beat bottom feeders like Ottawa, the Islanders, and Atlanta. Very frustrating knowing what the Sabres are capable of. Now, I know Boston did not play their best lineup tonight, but man Buffalo looked really good. It's frustrating that they were so inconsistent and the injuries to Vanek and Miller ultimately prevented this team from making the playoffs, not because they were injured, but because nobody stepped up in their absence.

Otherwise, nice to see Vanek get two goals to get up to 40 for the season. I don't have much hope for changes next year aside from not re-signing the UFAs and re-signing the RFAs. I expect a very similar team next year, but hopefully a little bit more mature and play more consistently to make the playoffs next year. Oh well.

There isn't a team out there that doesn't leave plays out on the ice. Your emotional attachment to the Sabres just makes it seem like we left more out there, when it's probably not true.

Farewell for this season, Sabres. I had a good time, for the most part. Just fell a little bit short in the end.

And congrats to Vanek on the 40th goal...with 16 seconds remaining in the season, no less.

You're right. My bad. They were great this year. C'mon. My emotional attachment is not why they aren't in the playoffs.

Well, nice way to end the season, but boy is it frustrating. Clearly, the Sabres are good enough to be a playoff team considering how they played against Boston, Montreal, Carolina, Washington, and other top teams in the East. But, they will not make the playoffs because they could not beat bottom feeders like Ottawa, the Islanders, and Atlanta. Very frustrating knowing what the Sabres are capable of. Now, I know Boston did not play their best lineup tonight, but man Buffalo looked really good. It's frustrating that they were so inconsistent and the injuries to Vanek and Miller ultimately prevented this team from making the playoffs, not because they were injured, but because nobody stepped up in their absence.

Otherwise, nice to see Vanek get two goals to get up to 40 for the season. I don't have much hope for changes next year aside from not re-signing the UFAs and re-signing the RFAs. I expect a very similar team next year, but hopefully a little bit more mature and play more consistently to make the playoffs next year. Oh well.

That didnt help however the lack of foresight from the front office is to blame...The fact we only had 2 real Centers, noone to win faceoffs when it counted and a bunch of europ%^sies on defense is the real reason...They needed to acquire another number 1 or 2 center and another defenseman that could hit besides Rivet...Resigning Teppo was a waste they couldve used that money to sign a player like jason smith who wouldve helped..That still tweaks me...

You're right. My bad. They were great this year. C'mon. My emotional attachment is not why they aren't in the playoffs.

That's not what I said and you know it. They aren't missing the playoffs because they "left plays out on the ice". Didn't the Rangers do that too? Didn't the Canadiens do that too? They're missing the playoffs because they were a mediocre team (maybe the 6th or 7th best in the East) who were beset with a lengthy injury to their most important player down the stretch. I'm not blaming anything on Lalime, because the offense didn't back him up sometimes, but don't you think we'd be somewhere in the area of 97 points if he doesn't get injured?

That didnt help however the lack of foresight from the front office is to blame...The fact we only had 2 real Centers, noone to win faceoffs when it counted and a bunch of europ%^sies on defense is the real reason...They needed to acquire another number 1 or 2 center and another defenseman that could hit besides Rivet...Resigning Teppo was a waste they couldve used that money to sign a player like jason smith who wouldve helped..That still tweaks me...

I think there's a lot of blame to go around for this season. I didn't like the Lalime acquisition, I would have preferred Auld or Tellqvist for the the whole season, but that of course is not the only reason. I liked the Rivet acquisition, but they should have taken the opportunity this past offseason to get some value from Tallinder. I think they could have gotten a really good player in return for Tallinder. Maybe a package deal for Jokinen or Cammalleri as both of these players were traded in the offseason and a package of Tallinder and maybe Paille/Stafford could have done it, but that didn't happen, either. A lot of mistakes by the front office, but I don't think it ends there.

The players did not show up consistently enough. This team in its current format is talented enough to make the playoffs, they just don't have the heart and integrity to do it. How much of that is on the front office and how much of that is on the players themselves? Within the constraints of the salary cap, there are only so many moves you can make, after that, it's up to the coaches and players to put up, and they did not do that this year with enough consistency.

I have tough time putting blame on Lindy as these players are more the problem than he is, but he also made some mistakes as well. I think Lindy not effectively utilizing 2 lines of scoring and 2 lines of grinding throughout the year hurt. I think guys like Gaustad and Hecht are not meant to be playing on scoring lines and they should be grinders. I think there needs to be a checking line that goes against every team's top offensive line like we had with Peca, then Curtis Brown, and then Chris Drury. I think Gaustad, Hecht, and Paille fill those roles, but Lindy has not used them much in that role, and I think he could.

Overall, there's a lot of blame to go around. It's frustrating because it seems like the talent is there, the mind is not, and that's what's preventing this team from taking the next step. So do you get a new coach or do you get new players? My expectation, with Darcy Regier as the GM, neither will happen. But, there's plenty of blame to go around, that's for sure.

That's not what I said and you know it. They aren't missing the playoffs because they "left plays out on the ice". Didn't the Rangers do that too? Didn't the Canadiens do that too? They're missing the playoffs because they were a mediocre team (maybe the 6th or 7th best in the East) who were beset with a lengthy injury to their most important player down the stretch. I'm not blaming anything on Lalime, because the offense didn't back him up sometimes, but don't you think we'd be somewhere in the area of 97 points if he doesn't get injured?

I know what you meant and I disagree. I think they left WAY too many plays on the ice. I believe that they WERE good enough to make the playoffs, even with the injuries, but consistently underachieved and did not play up to their potential. That's why this season has left a bitter taste in my mouth and why I'm ready for Ruff to finally go.

What was with the Salute to the fans at the end of the game? It looked about as sincere as the effort they gave this season. The fans at the game seemed to love it though. Some of which are the same fans that boo after a terrible period of play.

That dog don't hunt.

Game thoughts...

-I get to see my 3rd win of the season. I don't even remember how many losses there were...9 or 10?

-The game was very preseason like or even worse. No hitting at all and not much passion on either side.

-Tellqvist played really well especially in the 2nd period.

-Glad to see Teppo get one last chance to put on the Sabres jersey. I can't see him coming back next year nor do I want to see him back.

-I'll be interested to see the strides in Butler's game next year. I'd like to see him be more physical, but I have a feeling he may just end up being one of those defensemen who when they are playing well, you just don't notice them much.

-The organist playing "See you in September" late in the game was outstanding!!

NOW FOR MY RANT...Golisano is a F***ing cheapskate and things may get worse for this franchise before they get better. Where is the fan appreciation for supporting a on ice product for two years running? I saw other teams have players jersey(game worn) giveaways after their last home game. What about reduced priced concessions? How about some sort of giveaway to all fans as they enter the arena? Where was the deadline deal that may have cost the Sabres more in salary but might have pushed them into the playoffs?

I'm sort of hoping they get blown out with a huge 5-0 or 6-0 defeat, even though I could never ever find myself rooting for that to happen.

Something to wake Darcy up from that dream of his, if that's even possible, or perhaps get OSP's attention somehow.

Finishing close is a sure-fire way making sure nothing changes over the summer, as Larry the Moron will just chalk another playoff miss up to "bad luck".

I stopped by to get the score, I didn't bother to watch today because, well, WTFRC :wallbash: :wallbash:

But anyhow...how much of a wake up does Darcy need...5 out of 7 years out of the playoffs, two in a row now!!! Same sh** - different day

It's not working, it's not going to work!!!Hitched their wagons to the wrong big money people!!!

Set the charges and implode the whole thing and start from scratch..From the GM to the Coaches and beyond!!!

What was with the Salute to the fans at the end of the game? It looked about as sincere as the effort they gave this season. The fans at the game seemed to love it though. Some of which are the same fans that boo after a terrible period of play.

That dog don't hunt.

I thought it was a nice moment. The boo birds stayed home I guess. The AP did report this, however: "Sabres fans weren't happy. Even as the win was apparent, fans spent most of the third period calling for the team to fire general manager Darcy Regier and coach Lindy Ruff." How exactly did the fans do that?

NOW FOR MY RANT...Golisano is a F***ing cheapskate and things may get worse for this franchise before they get better. Where is the fan appreciation for supporting a on ice product for two years running? I saw other teams have players jersey(game worn) giveaways after their last home game. What about reduced priced concessions? How about some sort of giveaway to all fans as they enter the arena? Where was the deadline deal that may have cost the Sabres more in salary but might have pushed them into the playoffs?

Didn't all the kids get a poster?

Archived