Roy and Afinogenov

Larry Playfair

From the buff news

Roy has been one of Buffalo's most consistent producers since the new year. He extended his point streak to four games, the longest of his career. The last time he went consecutive games without a point was Jan. 1 and 5.

"He's a main cog for us," Ruff said of Roy. "When he's on the ice, he makes things happen, he creates things. He's been very nifty."

Afinogenov also established the longest streak of his career, picking up an assist on both of Roy's goals and another on Vanek's. Afinogenov has at least one point in six straight games.

The line of Roy, Afinogenov and Vanek has "been exciting to watch and they're only getting better," said Drury. "That includes defensively too. It's great to see."

RK Player POS GP G A P+/- PIM PP SH GW OT S

MAXIM AFINOGENOV R 53 15 31 46 6 60 9 0 3 0 156

7 DEREK ROY C 46 10 22 32 -1 41 3 0 1 0 97

These kids have tons of talent, and should not be sent off via a trade. Afingenov leads the team in points, and controls play with his speed and passing ability. He will never be Jagr, but he can certainly set up a lot of plays. Ill take 20-25 goals and 40 assist form him anyday.

Roy is just a rook, and his play last night shows the buzz he can create. he is 7th on the team in pts.

From the buff news

Roy has been one of Buffalo's most consistent producers since the new year. He extended his point streak to four games, the longest of his career. The last time he went consecutive games without a point was Jan. 1 and 5.

"He's a main cog for us," Ruff said of Roy. "When he's on the ice, he makes things happen, he creates things. He's been very nifty."

Afinogenov also established the longest streak of his career, picking up an assist on both of Roy's goals and another on Vanek's. Afinogenov has at least one point in six straight games.

The line of Roy, Afinogenov and Vanek has "been exciting to watch and they're only getting better," said Drury. "That includes defensively too. It's great to see."

RK Player POS GP G A P+/- PIM PP SH GW OT S

MAXIM AFINOGENOV R 53 15 31 46 6 60 9 0 3 0 156

7 DEREK ROY C 46 10 22 32 -1 41 3 0 1 0 97

These kids have tons of talent, and should not be sent off via a trade. Afingenov leads the team in points, and controls play with his speed and passing ability. He will never be Jagr, but he can certainly set up a lot of plays. Ill take 20-25 goals and 40 assist form him anyday.

Roy is just a rook, and his play last night shows the buzz he can create.

Was the only one shocked when Roy started the year in Rochester?

Max is the third most dynamic player in the league behind Oveckin and Kovalchuk. We've been patient with him this long and we're starting to see the type of player he can be. If we hold out even more, we're gonna have a super star.

He's always had the speed. His puckhandling is now one of the best in the league and his passing is getting better each game. If he can just get his shot in order, he'll be a top five player. The way he's played the last two games, I don't think there can be much better. He's making professional players look like novices.

Trading Max is the worst thing the Sabres could do. And you have to keep Roy with him because he's one of the few that can keep up. Just imagine this line as they grow together and Vanek becomes that clutch scorer like we all expect him to be. It's going to be lots of fun.

Max is the third most dynamic player in the league behind Oveckin and Kovalchuk. We've been patient with him this long and we're starting to see the type of player he can be. If we hold out even more, we're gonna have a super star.

He's always had the speed. His puckhandling is now one of the best in the league and his passing is getting better each game. If he can just get his shot in order, he'll be a top five player. The way he's played the last two games, I don't think there can be much better. He's making professional players look like novices.

Trading Max is the worst thing the Sabres could do. And you have to keep Roy with him because he's one of the few that can keep up. Just imagine this line as they grow together and Vanek becomes that clutch scorer like we all expect him to be. It's going to be lots of fun.

That may be a bit of an overstatement on Max.

I would be against trading away Roy or Max for a true rent-a-player. If it were a matter of "shifting depth" as Darcey put it? I would have no problem. Bringing in a young blueliner to add to the mix would be a good thing for the Sabres now and for the long run.

Paul Hamilton made a great point on Roy. He's the Sabres 5-6 center when all are healthy? Briere, Drury, Connolly and Gaustad are your top four and will be around for a long time. Roy is nice, but if you can strengthen your defense by moving him? I don't see the problem.

We can easily move Roy, or Connoley to a wing, but Roy won some big face-offs for us last night. Roy won't see Rochester ever again. He has played tons of time this year, especially on the power play.

Who comes off the wing and into the press box?

Who comes off the wing and into the press box?

The way this season has been going, someone will probably get hurt and answer that question. If by some chance they stay healthy and a forward isn't packaged in a Biron deal, my guess is Pyatt is the odd man out. With his improved play as of late, Pyatt could be a good addition to any Biron deal.

The way this season has been going, someone will probably get hurt and answer that question. If by some chance they stay healthy and a forward isn't packaged in a Biron deal, my guess is Pyatt is the odd man out. With his improved play as of late, Pyatt could be a good addition to any Biron deal.

Pyatt? Who is going to want him? If you want to acquire a good player you have to trade a good player. I don't want to part with Roy, but if the deal player being offered is a young talented defenseman, I just might do it

Pyatt? Who is going to want him? If you want to acquire a good player you have to trade a good player. I don't want to part with Roy, but if the deal player being offered is a young talented defenseman, I just might do it

Pyatt has really started to play up to his potential since returning from the injury, so I could see some teams being interested in a package of him and Biron. I am very reluctant to part with Roy because of how good that line is (and I've been saying it for a while now). The more they play together, the better they get. I could probably be convinced if we got the right defensive deal. I wonder how Briere or Conolly would work out Centering Afinogenov and Vanek.

PTS, Max is 26 and a half now. How long do you wait? Maybe Max is what he is, a good player who's a piece of the puzzle. If we're waiting for him to get his shot in order and be a 40-goal scorer, a superstar, it might be a long wait. Kind of like saying a young actor will win the Academy Award... once he gets the acting thing down. :)

PTS, Max is 26 and a half now. How long do you wait? Maybe Max is what he is, a good player who's a piece of the puzzle. If we're waiting for him to get his shot in order and be a 40-goal scorer, a superstar, it might be a long wait. Kind of like saying a young actor will win the Academy Award... once he gets the acting thing down. :)

I agree with you, but one thing to keep in mind is he seems to be bringing out the best in Roy and Vanek.

Max has been the best Sabre for the latest 5-6 games. Not only that, he's worth of price of admission himself. Trading him will be a huge mistake. There will be a lot of good solid defenseman available at the trading deadline that if we choose to go after won't require us trading away Max or someone like him. And if we do have to trade someone like that, I rather not and go with what we got.

PA, with speed like that, Max will be around for another 10+ years. Mike Gartner was great even at his old age because of his speed.

That may be a bit of an overstatement on Max.

I would be against trading away Roy or Max for a true rent-a-player. If it were a matter of "shifting depth" as Darcey put it? I would have no problem. Bringing in a young blueliner to add to the mix would be a good thing for the Sabres now and for the long run.

Paul Hamilton made a great point on Roy. He's the Sabres 5-6 center when all are healthy? Briere, Drury, Connolly and Gaustad are your top four and will be around for a long time. Roy is nice, but if you can strengthen your defense by moving him? I don't see the problem.

Overstatement? You tell me who controls a game more than Max with his speed and moves. He can turn the tide of a game with his puck control. He's a great player that needs to find his scoring touch to become a super star.

sometimes you guys are really out to lunch.

You wouldn't trade Max or Derrick?

So if you were offered ovichkin or crosby or hossa or gange or naslund or jagr or richards or nash or forsberg or pronger or blake or alfredsson or heatley or Spezza or Kavelchuk Staal or well you get the picture. I would think those two players would be had for the right price. Wouldn't you think?

Max has been the best Sabre for the latest 5-6 games.

Drury has not exactly been a slouch recently either.

If Biron and Max went, I'd want a young all star or multiple NHL caliber players in return. There would be a lot of talent being sent out with Marty and Max...

So if you were offered ovichkin or crosby or hossa or gange or naslund or jagr or richards or nash or forsberg or pronger or blake or alfredsson or heatley or Spezza or Kavelchuk Staal or well you get the picture. I would think those two players would be had for the right price. Wouldn't you think?

Those trades would never be offered so it's a mute point. Obviously I'd make those trades, but the only thing you can except is a decent defenseman. I wouldn't make that trade.

Most of the posters are dealing in reality. Spezza for Roy is science fiction.

Paul Hamilton made a great point on Roy. He's the Sabres 5-6 center when all are healthy?

I don't know if I'd call Roy the Sabres 5th or 6th center. As a matter of fact, I believe he has more upside than Connolly. Don't get me wrong...I think Tim has made great strides in his game, but Roy has an edge to his game that I really like.

I don't know if I'd call Roy the Sabres 5th or 6th center. As a matter of fact, I believe he has more upside than Connolly. Don't get me wrong...I think Tim has made great strides in his game, but Roy has an edge to his game that I really like.

I totally agree with that. I wish Connelly wasn't injured so he could be trade bait. He's a good player but I'd rather ship him out instead of Roy.

:lol: Sure I'd trade Roy or Afinogenov for one of those players. I'd also like someone to ring my doorbell and hand me a million dollars. :lol:

Fans in WNY like Roy. No doubt. The WNY sports fan have always loved the 'Little Engines That Could'.

Comparing Roy and Tim is very interesting. Has this season been just another flash by Conolly to be followed by more sub par hockey from the kid? If The Connolly remains at the level he has shown this year then Roy is very expendable. If Connolly is not to be trusted to have turned it around then maybe he should be the one dealt?

Fans in WNY like Roy. No doubt. The WNY sports fan have always loved the 'Little Engines That Could'.

Comparing Roy and Tim is very interesting. Has this season been just another flash by Conolly to be followed by more sub par hockey from the kid? If The Connolly remains at the level he has shown this year then Roy is very expendable. If Connolly is not to be trusted to have turned it around then maybe he should be the one dealt?

Another thing to keep in mind is age. Connolly is older and probably much further along in his development. Roy is still young and probably has a lot of room to grow.

Another thing to keep in mind is age. Connolly is older and probably much further along in his development. Roy is still young and probably has a lot of room to grow.

Not as big of an age difference as you would expect. Connolly will turn 25 in May, Roy will turn 23 in May. The big difference in development is that Connolly was thrown to the wolves as an 18 year old by Milbury.

Another question worth thinking about is will Connolly be able to bounce back and be the same player after this knee injury.

Archived