Dominic Moore

RayFinkle

Moore has been playing very well though. He wasn't brought in to be a goal scorer, he was brought in to win faceoffs, provide some energy and make some setups. Too bad his team mates couldn't put the puck in a soccer net. And he's fine on the PK, plays well positionally. He's the last person we should be complaining about.

You know who the worst pick up was? Dainus Zubrus. Because we didn't even keep him.

6 games in a Sabre uniform.

0 goals

0 assists

8 dumbass penalty minutes

Takes more penalties than Ales, has no shot from the point, and can't score. Also our PK has sh-t the bed since his arrival. Good times. Is Bob Corkum still available?

Corkum's season with Maine just ended this weekend, so he's free.

6 games in a Sabre uniform.

0 goals

0 assists

8 dumbass penalty minutes

Takes more penalties than Ales, has no shot from the point, and can't score. Also our PK has sh-t the bed since his arrival. Good times. Is Bob Corkum still available?

Our penalty killing sucked for almost a month from late January to late February. They were then perfect for 4 games. After that, they killed 29 out of 37 78% over the last 6 games. I highly doubt that Moore is at the root of the problem.

I'll stick with my initial reaction to the Kotalik/Moore trades. They should have traded Kotalik and just kept the 2nd round pick instead of flipping it for Moore.

Our penalty killing sucked for almost a month from late January to late February. They were then perfect for 4 games. After that, they killed 29 out of 37 78% over the last 6 games. I highly doubt that Moore is at the root of the problem.

I'll stick with my initial reaction to the Kotalik/Moore trades. They should have traded Kotalik and just kept the 2nd round pick instead of flipping it for Moore.

Problem is that Darcy likely would've used that pick on yet another "puck carrying" defenseman, or another 5'9" forward.

Moore has been playing very well though. He wasn't brought in to be a goal scorer, he was brought in to win faceoffs, provide some energy and make some setups. Too bad his team mates couldn't put the puck in a soccer net. And he's fine on the PK, plays well positionally. He's the last person we should be complaining about.

You forgot one of the most important reasons for bringing him in. He was brought in as an insurance policy for scoring-line center in case Connolly (or Roy) was injured down the stretch. This hasn't happened, thankfully, but it was a smart thing to get. Now, not having seen him with true scoring-line linemates too often, it's hard to say how he would really have perform in that position. He has created some chances that were missed by teammates.

I don't think that I would give him the $2.5 million per year that he wanted based on his performance so far, but if I could trade Hecht away and use Moore in the same role for, say, $2 million a year, I do believe that we would be better off. He has been very good on the PK (bad pass to a shouldn't-have-been-jumping-in-on-the-rush-during-a-PK Tallinder aside) and great on faceoffs (83% last night, for example, including 5-for-5 against Spezza, who was 4-for-6 against Roy, 3-for-4 against Timmy and 5-for-5 against Goose.)

what did you expect to get for Kotalik? Someone who might actually make the team better? hahahahahahhhahaha :doh:

False logic.

You should have asked:

1) What did you expect to get for Kotalik? A second-round pick? No

2) What did you expect to get for a second-round pick? Someone who might actually make the team better? Yes

You forgot one of the most important reasons for bringing him in. He was brought in as an insurance policy for scoring-line center in case Connolly (or Roy) was injured down the stretch. This hasn't happened, thankfully, but it was a smart thing to get. Now, not having seen him with true scoring-line linemates too often, it's hard to say how he would really have perform in that position. He has created some chances that were missed by teammates.

I don't think that I would give him the $2.5 million per year that he wanted based on his performance so far, but if I could trade Hecht away and use Moore in the same role for, say, $2 million a year, I do believe that we would be better off. He has been very good on the PK (bad pass to a shouldn't-have-been-jumping-in-on-the-rush-during-a-PK Tallinder aside) and great on faceoffs (83% last night, for example, including 5-for-5 against Spezza, who was 4-for-6 against Roy, 3-for-4 against Timmy and 5-for-5 against Goose.)

BINGO!!!

Not flipping that pick would have given us NO chance at a playoff run. At least by doing this, we added depth at our weakest spot, or potentially weakest spot, Center.

Moore has Hockey talent, and while he hasn't found his stride with a new team yet, he's a helluva lot better than 3-4 guys on the team now. If we could move some money (looking at you, Hecht) it would be a giant upgrade to keep him on, given the money's right (2 mil. would be fair),

You know who the worst pick up was? Dainus Zubrus. Because we didn't even keep him.

He wasn't brought in to be a pure goal scorer, but he was brought in for his play making abilities in case we had an injury at center. He has been skating with solid players, it's not like he is running around out there with Peters and Kaleta as his wingers.

Problem is that Darcy likely would've used that pick on yet another "puck carrying" defenseman, or another 5'9" forward.

5'9" is being generous, I think DR looks for 5'8" or smaller. I would have rather we kept Kotalik though, as rickshaw stated above, he was a big plus in shootouts. Besides, he still has one of the best one timers around. Moore hasn't shown me anything yet. Who cares if he's in good position or makes great passes....this team doesn't understand the whole concept of playing together. Except for the fact that instead of being selfish and shooting the puck more often, they would rather pass it off. Paille had a great opportunity for a shot on goal from down close with no one around him, but instead he tries passing it through traffic and it goes the other way. Same ol' story with these guys.

He wasn't brought in to be a pure goal scorer, but he was brought in for his play making abilities in case we had an injury at center. He has been skating with solid players, it's not like he is running around out there with Peters and Kaleta as his wingers.

Solid players? No one on this team is solid. And he might be better off with Kaleta as a winger. He's another one that knows where to be on the ice. When his center takes the puck behind the net he swings around front and gets in the goalie's face. I watch him do it and wonder to myself why the rest of the damn team doesn't play that way. Hockey sense is something a lot of players on this team lack.

To put it nicely, you've exhaggerated. Moore is definitely an upgrade over Mair, who can't score or make a simple pass to save his life, but he has a big yap and gives great motivating material for other teams' (particularly the Sens) pegboard and yet they inexplicably skate this loser night after night.

Solid players? No one on this team is solid. And he might be better off with Kaleta as a winger. He's another one that knows where to be on the ice. When his center takes the puck behind the net he swings around front and gets in the goalie's face. I watch him do it and wonder to myself why the rest of the damn team doesn't play that way. Hockey sense is something a lot of players on this team lack.

I know this would never happen, but maybe they could bring in a bunch of rental players...literally.

Love for the game, not "love for the paycheck".

What play making ability? He has 29 assists this year which is about half of his career total. Before this year his career high was 18 points. A team that needs to build through the draft pissed away a second round pick, which looks like it will be early in the round, for a nothing player.

What play making ability? He has 29 assists this year which is about half of his career total. Before this year his career high was 18 points. A team that needs to build through the draft pissed away a second round pick, which looks like it will be early in the round, for a nothing player.

Two things:

(1) He had never played on anything other than a third-line prior to this season, so his prior numbers are necessarily indicative of what his numbers might be were he ever put on a scoring line here. He was considered a two-way, grinding forward (and you can see that he does have skills there) for the early part of his career. He was placed on one of Toronto's scoring lines this season out of necessity. By all accounts, though, he had done much better there than anyone would have anticipated (unlike our third/fourth line centers that had tryouts on higher lines this year and last with Connolly out.) He was noted, in particular, for being able to setup Blake very well.

(2) The second round pick was Carolina's, which right now would be 18th in the round (+/- any lottery-based movement, which is limited to +4.) I wouldn't call that "early in the round"; more like "mid-round".

He's probably a 3a/2b center, not a true 2a center, but your depth at center is rarely 2a capable (Roy in 2006-07 may have been an exception.)

trade Hecht away and use Moore in the same role for, say, $2 million a year, I do believe that we would be better off

Yeah.

Decent pick-up, and this would be the only way he stays aboard here.

He may get some team out there to pay him what he wants, but we'll see.

Good on face-offs so far.

I still am amazed that Darcy dealt Kotalik to Edmonton especially considering the 'Vanek-offer sheet' wounds still have to be open.

The three-or-four-way trade probably played a role in that.

I strongly feel that Brian Burke would still not ever deal with the Oilers in the future.

If Moore stays, It will be another Regier fleecing.

Moore has upside which is more than can be said of Kotalik's treadmill existance outside his howitzer point shot and all-league shoot-out skills.

(2) The second round pick was Carolina's, which right now would be 18th in the round (+/- any lottery-based movement, which is limited to +4.) I wouldn't call that "early in the round"; more like "mid-round".

And with complex structure of that deal, the 2nd round pick never really was ours. That deal was conditioned on all that other craziness with Edmonton and LA. That draft pick was Sabres property about as much as Steve Reinprecht was.

And with complex structure of that deal, the 2nd round pick never really was ours. That deal was conditioned on all that other craziness with Edmonton and LA. That draft pick was Sabres property about as much as Steve Reinprecht was.

True. It was more like "here's what each team gives up and here's what each team gets ... everyone happy?"

Archived