[OT] TO signs with Buffalo

deluca67

Just shows how smart the kid is. Owens will not only open up the passing game, teams will not be able to stack the box to stop the run. I can't see many teams willing to blitz with Owens and Evans on the edges. This also allows Reed to work the slot and Parrish makes a excellent fourth receiver with all of his speed. When you add talent at the top of the depth chart it allows other players to fall into their more natural roles.

I agree with you 100%. This is the best-case scenario, and it makes perfect sense to me. :thumbsup:

You've gotta love some of the TSW posters who are so downright giddy about the move that they whipped out their Ralph Wilson-issued blue, red & white glasses for anything and everything regarding TO. "He's a leader!" "He's the ANTI-cancer!" "He's a great teammate!" and on and on and on...

I'm definitely not a Kool-Aid drinking Bills fan. I do have to admit the Bills front office did a great job in one day of energizing their fan base. I haven't heard two words about the Sabres crapping the bed again during their so called playoff drive. The Bills spent $10 million which they will make up in tickets sales and merchandise. This is a type of move that could have really helped the Sabres at the deadline. Sometimes when you make a splash it has ripple effects. It would have been nice if the Sabres would have accomplished something at the deadline. Unfortunately for the Sabres I think the NFL season started in Buffalo last Saturday.

I can't believe the koolaid drinking going on at TBD. Next thing I expect to see posted is that TO is going to play a role in getting Bass Pro and the new Peace Bridge built.

Don't get me wrong, desperate times require desperate measures. TO should keep things interesting but IMO he won't be enough to take a 7-9 team that happens to have a much tougher schedule in 09 and turn them into a SB contender let alone a playoff team.

So far I have seen nothing done to improve the front 7 on defense and if anyone believes you are going to get instant help from the draft may need to pull their heads out of the sand.

Only time will tell.

I can't believe the koolaid drinking going on at TBD. Next thing I expect to see posted is that TO is going to play a role in getting Bass Pro and the new Peace Bridge built.

Don't get me wrong, desperate times require desperate measures. TO should keep things interesting but IMO he won't be enough to take a 7-9 team that happens to have a much tougher schedule in 09 and turn them into a SB contender let alone a playoff team.

So far I have seen nothing done to improve the front 7 on defense and if anyone believes you are going to get instant help from the draft may need to pull their heads out of the sand.

Only time will tell.

Too bad Brian Campbell didnt play football..He would rule on D!!!!! :thumbsup:

Only time will tell.

I don't think you can count on the Bills schedule being tougher. In their division alone there are questions. How will the Jets be without Farve? Does Miami come back to earth. Will the Pats be the same old Pats?

The important thing about the TO singing is the buzz that it has caused. There has been more Bills talk over the past two days as there has been in the past two months.

I don't think you can count on the Bills schedule being tougher. In their division alone there are questions. How will the Jets be without Farve? Does Miami come back to earth. Will the Pats be the same old Pats?

The important thing about the TO singing is the buzz that it has caused. There has been more Bills talk over the past two days as there has been in the past two months.

I agree about the buzz.

Out of division schedule in 2008 and 2009

Home - SEA, OAK, SD, CLE & SF

Away - JAX, STL, ARI, KC & DEN

Home - HOU, IND, CLE, NO & TB

Away - JAX< TEN< KC< ATL & CAR

I realize a lot of things can change between now and September, but I don't care what happens the 2009 schedule will be much tougher and there is no reason to believe that the division games will be any easier.

I agree about the buzz.

Out of division schedule in 2008 and 2009

Home - SEA, OAK, SD, CLE & SF

Away - JAX, STL, ARI, KC & DEN

Home - HOU, IND, CLE, NO & TB

Away - JAX< TEN< KC< ATL & CAR

I realize a lot of things can change between now and September, but I don't care what happens the 2009 schedule will be much tougher and there is no reason to believe that the division games will be any easier.

Agree. I have no problem with the football side of signing TO, I'm just already tired of the over-the-top ball-washing that's going on over at TSW. We signed a locker room cancer who has HOF ability to dominate teams and an equal talent for causing problems with damn near everyone on his team, as evidenced by his last three teams.

But for next year - just check with a couple of the know-it-all posters on TSW. They'll tell you how we can go 12-4 or 13-3 next year, because apparently half of our schedule is not as good as their playoff record from last year indicates, and how we apparently got better than the other half by adding a WR and a C. Let's face it, rankings aside we still had some big problems on D last year, Trent struggled a lot, and we still have Skeletor as our head coach. Dick alone is good for 4-6 losses next year.

I'm definitely not a Kool-Aid drinking Bills fan. I do have to admit the Bills front office did a great job in one day of energizing their fan base. I haven't heard two words about the Sabres crapping the bed again during their so called playoff drive. The Bills spent $10 million which they will make up in tickets sales and merchandise. This is a type of move that could have really helped the Sabres at the deadline. Sometimes when you make a splash it has ripple effects. It would have been nice if the Sabres would have accomplished something at the deadline. Unfortunately for the Sabres I think the NFL season started in Buffalo last Saturday.

Yep you pretty much nailed it. I am shocked but as a business major I have to also say pretty shrewd business move. Look at the amount of free PR they will get nationally. One other thing is he doesn't have to compete with anybody in Bflo for top billing. I do not see any other EGO's on this team providing any competition or threat to his attention getting.

Scary to think of him as the team Poster boy but truth be told he has never had any off field legal issues or problems. What we do know, he gets in trouble for calling out other players or coaches on the team. But was there any truth to what he was saying? Easier to get rid of one player(like a coach almost) then whole team.

From what I've seen and read from last season allot of people have been calling out allot of the team, the coach for not calling out plays and players so what I am sure of we are going to see more of that happen now, so let the entertainment begin....

Yep you pretty much nailed it. I am shocked but as a business major I have to also say pretty shrewd business move. Look at the amount of free PR they will get nationally. One other thing is he doesn't have to compete with anybody in Bflo for top billing. I do not see any other EGO's on this team providing any competition or threat to his attention getting.

Scary to think of him as the team Poster boy but truth be told he has never had any off field legal issues or problems. What we do know, he gets in trouble for calling out other players or coaches on the team. But was there any truth to what he was saying? Easier to get rid of one player(like a coach almost) then whole team.

From what I've seen and read from last season allot of people have been calling out allot of the team, the coach for not calling out plays and players so what I am sure of we are going to see more of that happen now, so let the entertainment begin....

That's pretty much what I was thinking with bringing in T.O. First it was Mariucci and Garcia vs. T.O., then McNabb vs T.O., then Romo vs T.O. and now, probably be T.O. vs T.O.

That's pretty much what I was thinking with bringing in T.O. First it was Mariucci and Garcia vs. T.O., then McNabb vs T.O., then Romo vs T.O. and now, probably be T.O. vs T.O.

Now that'll make for some interesting theatre :D

I have recent thought on this...

I think I like this move a lot and its great they did it, but why does it take a player to make a move? Why can' this bills GM come up with interesting player prospects?

In the article (don't have the reference but could find it) it said Trent texted Brandon and said, "what about TO?" Then Brandon sent one back with a "?" like it never even crossed his mind.

As a GM I would think he had a plan for filling holes, and one was WR as evident by the Coles attempted signing. Why wouldn't you evaluate every single UFA RFA out there and consider it? He is so close minded T.O. was never an option. To me this just speaks volumes about this guys ability to bring in talent, and is possibly one of the weakest links. He also seems to avoid any major heat for poor player performance.

There seems to be no plan unless a player just happens to fall in their lap and seems like a good idea. I would expect a good GM to have a short term, mid team, and long term building plan that included free agency along with drafting and I see none of this from them.

Right now I'd be looking for line men on both sides or they will still suck.

You don't really believe that do you? Ralph spending $6.5 million as a pr spin?

In all seriousness, they are gambling a rather small amount of money and I see no down side to move. For all your rants about the criminal element in the league, on some of which I support your position, TO has never been in trouble with the law as far as I know.

When I first heard this whole chain of events, I couldn't take it seriously. I still don't. While there are some on here who have differing degrees of optimism over this signing, I think of it as nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Wake me up at the last week of December 2009 when the season's over and TO goes off to another market...

No matter whether TO makes the Bills any better this year, you've got to hand it to Russ Brandon. This dude knows how to market an NFL team. Will it work? No one knows. Will it sell tickets and make fans forget about last year? A resounding yes.

These are cynical Buffalo fans that really believe there might be a chance for the team this year.. and if they don't believe that, they're just excited that ESPN is going to pay attention to the team. Unbelievable.

Archived