Forward lines for Friday night's game

nfreeman

Well, suddenly we're overflowing with great forwards! Vanek is back, Timmy is here to stay (knock on wood), Moore will be in the lineup, and Max certainly played well enough to stay in. So who sits, who plays, and with whom? Here are my predicted lines (with the center 1st, Carp, and the wingers following in no particular order):

Connolly-Vanek-Stafford

Roy-Max-Paille

Moore-Pommer-Hecht

Gaustad-Kaleta-MacArthur

Press box: Petey, Ellis, Mair

Dare I say that we are going to be rolling 4 lines?

Bonus prediction: Butler stays in the press box. Lindy doesn't like to mess with success.

Go Sabres.

Here are my predicted lines (with the center 1st, Carp, and the wingers following in no particular order):

Connolly-Vanek-Stafford

Roy-Max-Paille

Moore-Pommer-Hecht

Gaustad-Kaleta-MacArthur

Close, with one change (two, if you count putting the center where they belong :nana: ):

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

Paille-Roy-Max

Hecht-Moore-Pommer

Mair-Gaustad-Kaleta.

Connolly-Vanek-Stafford

Roy-Max-Paille

Moore-Pommer-Hecht

Gaustad-Kaleta-MacArthur

i agree with everything except macarthur - i don't see playing him over mair, who can play (has played?) left wing, i believe.

Dare I say that we are going to be rolling 4 lines?

oh, you can say it, but i don't see that happening a la the 2005-2007 era. i think you will see a healthier dose of the top 2 lines (although vanek's not quite ready for full-time duty).

Bonus prediction: Butler stays in the press box. Lindy doesn't like to mess with success.

that is true about lindy - but, boy, teppo just didn't look like he benefitted from the rest last night - a half-step behind or more in a lot of situations - if he weren't so damned smart and savvy he'd look utterly lost out there.

I just don't want Butler becoming a permanent resident of the press box for the stretch run. He needs to play, whether it's here or in Portland. Sitting in the box does nothing for his development at this stage in his career.

I just don't want Butler becoming a permanent resident of the press box for the stretch run. He needs to play, whether it's here or in Portland. Sitting in the box does nothing for his development at this stage in his career.

My thoughts exactly. If they continue to play like yesterday, I have no problem with returning Butler to Portland. He needs to keep playing and they badly need the bodies.

Vanek - Tim C - Stafford

Roy - Moore - Max

Hecht - Goose - Jason

Paille - Ellis - Kaleta

t-web, is that the lines you'd like to see, or the ones you think lindy will roll out? (both?)

i can't see moving roy to left wing.

EDIT: Doh! Per Harrington at http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

UPDATE II: The lines on the ice look like this: Vanek-Connolly-Stafford, Hecht-Gaustad-Pominville, Paille-Roy-Afinogenov, Ellis-Mair-Kaleta. The spares are MacArthur and Peters. Not having Moore here is a difficult problem. Now he'll have to be slotted on a line during tomorrow's morning skate, not the best proposition. Will be interesting to hear what Ruff has to say about this one afterwards.

UPDATE III: Ruff said he may use Moore at center and move Derek Roy to left wing. Ruff also said Patrick Lalime is going too well and he will start Friday but that Tellqvist definitely has a chance to play Saturday in Ottawa.

you shoulda dropped a footnote there, man.

Vanek - Tim C - Stafford

Roy - Moore - Max

Hecht - Goose - Jason

Paille - Ellis - Kaleta

Same Defense

Lalime

Based on Lindy's comments today, this makes sense, at least the part with Paille having to move in favor of Roy. But after the game Lindy also said Paille forced him to move him up the way he was skating ... the competition is nice and it will be interesting to see how Paille responds if he is "demoted" ... if he pouts I will be disappointed, they really need him to find his game not only for this season but next.

t-web, is that the lines you'd like to see, or the ones you think lindy will roll out? (both?)

i can't see moving roy to left wing.

EDIT: Doh! Per Harrington at http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

UPDATE II: The lines on the ice look like this: Vanek-Connolly-Stafford, Hecht-Gaustad-Pominville, Paille-Roy-Afinogenov, Ellis-Mair-Kaleta. The spares are MacArthur and Peters. Not having Moore here is a difficult problem. Now he'll have to be slotted on a line during tomorrow's morning skate, not the best proposition. Will be interesting to hear what Ruff has to say about this one afterwards.

UPDATE III: Ruff said he may use Moore at center and move Derek Roy to left wing. Ruff also said Patrick Lalime is going too well and he will start Friday but that Tellqvist definitely has a chance to play Saturday in Ottawa.

you shoulda dropped a footnote there, man.

It was actaully an educated guess based on a few things.

1) Ruff has stated in the past that he likes both Goose and Roy on the wings.

2) Paul looked comfortable between Hecht and Jason

3) Paille started the game on the fourth line

4) Clarke and Mair have been non factors lately and Ruff really likes Ellis

What I would really like to see is a line up without Jochen but I know Lindy seems to like him for some reason.

Vanek - Tim C - Stafford

Roy - Moore - Max

Hecht - Goose - Jason

Paille - Mair Ellis - Kaleta

It's a tough call between Ellis and Mair. They both work hard. Ellis can kill penalties, but Mair brings more physical play. With Moore in the lineup, we have another solid PKer, so I'd go with Mair.

Connolly-Vanek-Stafford

Roy-Max-Paille

Moore-Pommer-Hecht

Gaustad-Kaleta-MacArthur

If everyone stays healthy from here on out, I could see the last forward spot being rotated between MacArthur, Mair & Ellis with Mair getting most of the games. Of course as soon as he goes back to being "Stupid Max" he will also join the rotation.

My thoughts exactly. If they continue to play like yesterday, I have no problem with returning Butler to Portland. He needs to keep playing and they badly need the bodies.

QFT. I am extremely happy with the way Butler has played, and through our injuries, he was MORE than serviceable as a defenseman, perhaps one of our better ones at times during his stretch. If the D-Men continue to play well through the weekend, send him back to Portland to continue to develop. If I were Lindy, I would tell him that sending him back in no way is a demotion. He has played well enough to prove to be able to hang with the big boys, and will continue to get better.

There is NO doubt he will be one of our top 6 next season.

Vanek - Tim C - Stafford

Roy - Moore - Max

Hecht - Goose - Jason

Paille - Ellis - Kaleta

Same Defense

Lalime

Good call. Based on what Lindy said about moving Roy to the wing, I'd expect either that lineup or Mair in Ellis' spot.

I think my preferred lines would be

Tommy - Timmy - Drew

Goose - Roy - Max (at least until he plays his way back out of the lineup)

Hecht - Moore - Poms

Paille - Ellis - Kaleta.

Man, I'm looking forward to April and actually getting to see a game in person again.

Close, with one change (two, if you count putting the center where they belong :nana: ):

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

Paille-Roy-Max

Hecht-Moore-Pommer

Mair-Gaustad-Kaleta.

I stand by my original fourth line ...

post-1053-1236323775_thumbjpg

Note: I actually traded for Moore (gave Toronto Kotalik) and played the above lines (and Lalime.)

It was actaully an educated guess based on a few things.

1) Ruff has stated in the past that he likes both Goose and Roy on the wings.

2) Paul looked comfortable between Hecht and Jason

3) Paille started the game on the fourth line

4) Clarke and Mair have been non factors lately and Ruff really likes Ellis

What I would really like to see is a line up without Jochen but I know Lindy seems to like him for some reason.

wow - i didn't give you enough credit, boss - nicely reasoned.

i should probably start another thread for this, but what's the projection of the winning % we need down the stretch? do we need to play .625 hockey? better than that?

i should probably start another thread for this, but what's the projection of the winning % we need down the stretch? do we need to play .625 hockey? better than that?

If the 93 point mark holds up again this year, then we need play .611 (22 points out of 36 available) hockey. Another way to put it is that we need to go 4 over .500 in the last 18 (11-7-0 or 10-6-2 or 9-5-4 or ...)

Last year, through 64 games, 4-10 (not counting Division leaders slots) looked like:

Canadiens: 77

Bruins: 76

Rangers: 72

Flyers: 71

Sabres: 71

Hurricanes: 67

Capitals: 66

The Hurricanes and Sabres missed, while the rest made it in with 94+ points (though, 93 would have been sufficient.) Most of the grouping is a little tighter this year, but the average is about the same (through 64 games):

Flyers: 78 (+1 game)

Canadiens: 75

Panthers: 74

Penguins: 70

Carolina: 69

Fortunately, the top three teams are from different divisions, so we don't have to worry about the 9th or 10th best team getting the 3rd place spot on that technicality. The Panthers already lost their 65th game, while the Rangers, Pens and Hurricanes won their 66th game. The Pens also won their 67th. The Sabres will have to win their games-in-hand (this weekend's games) to stay ahead of the Penguins in 8th place for equal games played.

Last year, through 64 games, 4-10 (not counting Division leaders slots) looked like:

Canadiens: 77

Bruins: 76

Flyers: 71

Hurricanes: 67

Capitals: 66

Most of the grouping is a little tighter this year, but the average is about the same (through 64 games):

Flyers: 78 (+1 game)

Canadiens: 75

Panthers: 74

Penguins: 70

Carolina: 69

man, i owe you a beer or three after all you've given today. :beer: :beer: :beer:

in other news, it is staggering, and ominous, to me that we were at 71 points through 64 games last year as well.

Archived