Well, The Optimism Is Done

CallawaySabres

I just kept hoping and hoping that these guys would finally get it and pull together during the adversity of the past few weeks. Well, after reading the quotes after the Islanders game, I have finally had it. No more ups and downs, just time to accept it. Facing the worst (absolute worst) team in the NHL with points at a premium, they say that they could not match intensity and the other guys wanted it more?? You really have to be kidding me....right??

Oh my goodness, this is just unacceptable in this league. These guys can't even use the goalie as an excuse. Get rid of the garbage (I mean ALL the garbage) at the deadline even if it means getting a C rate grit player for Hecht. These Sabres are DEFINITELY not changing their spots and an overhaul is needed. That Islander game could not have come at a better time abd I pray that Regier has had enough. Yes, I thought these guys would still make the Playoffs a week ago. Now, not a chance. They have dropped below the 8 spot and no way are they getting above it again. Pitt has won 5 of 6 and Florida's schedule will get them in.

The Rangers gave Buffalo EVERY opportunity to leap past them and that window looks like it has been shut too. Accept the year as another failure and do something about '09 - 10. Get the softies out of the dressing room NOW. You want to at least battle for the 8 spot, get them out now! At least I got my moneys worth one last time at the Ranger game (that's all you get).

I just kept hoping and hoping that these guys would finally get it and pull together during the adversity of the past few weeks. Well, after reading the quotes after the Islanders game, I have finally had it. No more ups and downs, just time to accept it. Facing the worst (absolute worst) team in the NHL with points at a premium, they say that they could not match intensity and the other guys wanted it more?? You really have to be kidding me....right??

Oh my goodness, this is just unacceptable in this league. These guys can't even use the goalie as an excuse. Get rid of the garbage (I mean ALL the garbage) at the deadline even if it means getting a C rate grit player for Hecht. These Sabres are DEFINITELY not changing their spots and an overhall is needed. That Islander game could not have come at a better time abd I pray that Regier has had enough. Yes, I thought these guys would still make the Playoffs a week ago. Now, not a chance. They have dropped below the 8 spot and no way are they getting above it again. Pitt has won 5 of 6 and Florida's schedule will get them in.

The Rangers gave Buffalo EVERY opportunity to leap past them and that window looks like it has been shut too. Accept the year as another failure and do something about '09 - 10. Get the softies out of the dressing room NOW. You want to at least battle for the 8 spot, get them out now! At least I got my moneys worth one last time at the Ranger game (that's all you get).

I'm glad you started this thread. I can see this thread lasting deep into the summer. A great number of posters will be coming to the same realization that the Sabres just are not good enough and don;'t have close to the amount of heart needed to overcome their deficiencies. Fans shouldn't have needed the last three games to come to that conclusion. The final piece of evidence was the Ranger game. If a team can't get angry at a team for running their goalie out of the game they can't possibly be expected to muster up the intensity to make a playoff run. That game should have been the catalyst for a run to the playoffs. All the Sabres ended up doing was making excuses. "our backs were turned, we didn't see the play" or "We didn't what to jeopardize the two points". This team and these players always have an excuse. Was there any doubt that this team would run and hide once they had the excuse of Miller and Vanek being out?

I'm glad you started this thread. I can see this thread lasting deep into the summer. A great number of posters will be coming to the same realization that the Sabres just are not good enough and don;'t have close to the amount of heart needed to overcome their deficiencies. Fans shouldn't have needed the last three games to come to that conclusion. The final piece of evidence was the Ranger game. If a team can't get angry at a team for running their goalie out of the game they can't possibly be expected to muster up the intensity to make a playoff run. That game should have been the catalyst for a run to the playoffs. All the Sabres ended up doing was making excuses. "our backs were turned, we didn't see the play" or "We didn't what to jeopardize the two points". This team and these players always have an excuse. Was there any doubt that this team would run and hide once they had the excuse of Miller and Vanek being out?

I can't tell if you are mad, because it looks like they aren't going to make the playoffs or if you are happy, because you get to say,"See, everyone, I was right."

For me, until they are out...they're in.

I have to agree with you. I sense no real desperation from this team. They seem to continue to coast. I want to say..."hey if they make the playoffs anything can happen" But I know that isn't true. This team lacks everything a cup contender needs. Lack of scoring, inconsistent goaltending, soft D. The problem is they seem to string it all together. One night no D the next night no O the next night shaky tending. It is maddening. The excuses never end.

I can't tell if you are mad, because it looks like they aren't going to make the playoffs or if you are happy, because you get to say,"See, everyone, I was right."

For me, until they are out...they're in.

They haven't looked like a playoff team to me at any point this season, except for maybe their early hot start. The only reason they are close now is because of the weak Eastern Conference and teams like the Habs, Pens and Rangers falling off the face of the earth.

I am mad about them not being a playoff team. This would have been a great time for them to put it together. Their major competitor, the Bills, have a lower approval rating right now than GW had when he left office. The Sabres could be the Kings of this town. Fans want to love this team. I want to love this team. I can't because they don't have the traits I need in order to get behind them 100%. This team has no work ethic, they lack toughness and they don't look out for their teammates. I will always cheer for the blue in gold and the crest on the front. There are few names on the backs of the current jerseys I would ever care to remember their names.

The final piece of evidence was the Ranger game.

While I do still think it is possible that they make the playoffs -- they are getting Vanek back, we don't know what, if anything, Darcy will do over the next two days and they are inconsistent enough that they could switch to a hot run just like they've had their cold run -- the game that really tested my fanhood was the Carolina game on February 15 (3-1 loss at home.) They were coming off of a huge win against the best team in the league and sitting in a position to leapfrog the Rangers and put a death grip on the Hurricanes and Penguins (would have been 7 points ahead of each.) It wasn't so much that they lost -- they were playing a good team that was desperate to stay in the playoffs -- it was how they lost. That was possibly their worst game of the season, when it needed to be their best. They never looked flatter or more disinterested.

I don't know if the necessary moves will come before Wednesday, probably not, but there do need to be some moves this summer. Despite what some doom-and-gloomers say, the whole team is not worthless, but they do need to trim so worthless players and pump up the lead-by-example, blue-collar presence in the top-six forwards. It's there in the bottom six (not all, but several) and, to some degree, in the defense, but it's not there up front. They need someone to steer the head of the proverbial snake. The guys with the potential to (Roy and Vanek, in my mind) aren't there yet. They're still too young, still working on their own game. We need someone who's already there.

While I do still think it is possible that they make the playoffs -- they are getting Vanek back, we don't know what, if anything, Darcy will do over the next two days and they are inconsistent enough that they could switch to a hot run just like they've had their cold run -- the game that really tested my fanhood was the Carolina game on February 15 (3-1 loss at home.) They were coming off of a huge win against the best team in the league and sitting in a position to leapfrog the Rangers and put a death grip on the Hurricanes and Penguins (would have been 7 points ahead of each.) It wasn't so much that they lost -- they were playing a good team that was desperate to stay in the playoffs -- it was how they lost. That was possibly their worst game of the season, when it needed to be their best. They never looked flatter or more disinterested.

I don't know if the necessary moves will come before Wednesday, probably not, but there do need to be some moves this summer. Despite what some doom-and-gloomers say, the whole team is not worthless, but they do need to trim so worthless players and pump up the lead-by-example, blue-collar presence in the top-six forwards. It's there in the bottom six (not all, but several) and, to some degree, in the defense, but it's not there up front. They need someone to steer the head of the proverbial snake. The guys with the potential to (Roy and Vanek, in my mind) aren't there yet. They're still too young, still working on their own game. We need someone who's already there.

The problem is they'll put up something like 5-10 games of that kind a year.

Then there are the games where they may be the better team, but get shaky goaltending, or the opposition goalie stands on his head, get some bad bounces, or they flat out can't score.

Put all those together, and you end up with no playoffs 5 of 7 seasons.

I'm really sad about the Vanek and Miller injuries, because if gives Quinn and Regier the perfect excuse yet again, and we all know how those two love their excuses.

Never mind that Lalime has been a more than servicable backup in Millers absence - In Quinn's great book of excuses, the chapter on how Miller and Vanek being out cost the Sabres a playoff spot is already written.

The FO should be looking at the lack of scoring in Vanek's absence as a wake-up call, but for them it'll just be yet another excuse.

Oh well, here's to hoping I'm dead wrong.

Well you all can look back at my posts and see while I always tried to stay positve I never harbored any disillusions this was a SC champion team.

What I was hoping for was to watch a playoff round or two with a team that grew along with some of the future players before my eye's as a harbinger of still better things to come. Other than Vanek, Butler(not expected) and Kaletta I cannot say any other players really elevated/improved their games this year and painful fact is many more got worse(max, hecht, pominville, paille, Teppo, Tallinder, etc..). And that was the kick in the Kahona's and now you have the rest of the story.....(Paul Harvey tribute)

I got this team figured as a talented bunch of followers. None of the young guys on this team will stand up and demand more from his teammates, because, above all else, they're buddies.

What this team needs is a daddy. Someone who will play the bad guy and call out teammates in the locker room (not necessarily the press) after stupid give aways and soft play.

They could problably turn this thing around if they were able to bring a Drury-type leader. A guy who rubs their noses in their mistakes and makes their lives uncomfortable until they pay more attention to detail.

I don't think wholesale changes are needed, becuase these guys will fall in line under a real leader, but it might take a couple of the Rochester Frat boys to get this type of tough-minded player, and I wouldn't mind overpaying for that type of guy.

I got this team figured as a talented bunch of followers. None of the young guys on this team will stand up and demand more from his teammates, because, above all else, they're buddies.

What this team needs is a daddy. Someone who will play the bad guy and call out teammates in the locker room (not necessarily the press) after stupid give aways and soft play.

They could problably turn this thing around if they were able to bring a Drury-type leader. A guy who rubs their noses in their mistakes and makes their lives uncomfortable until they pay more attention to detail.

I don't think wholesale changes are needed, becuase these guys will fall in line under a real leader, but it might take a couple of the Rochester Frat boys to get this type of tough-minded player, and I wouldn't mind overpaying for that type of guy.

If you're bad, you're bad. No amount of yelling is going to make a difference. It's up to the GM to package these flawed players and send em packing. Unfortunately there's a combination of DR always wanting to make "the perfect deal," casing inerita most of the time and TG seems to have hogtied management.

We need a new owner, management, coaching and players and once that's done maybe we can see some progress...

If you're bad, you're bad. No amount of yelling is going to make a difference. It's up to the GM to package these flawed players and send em packing. Unfortunately there's a combination of DR always wanting to make "the perfect deal," casing inerita most of the time and TG seems to have hogtied management.

We need a new owner, management, coaching and players and once that's done maybe we can see some progress...

We are never going to have a free spending owner here in Buffalo. A new owner with some NHL experience would be nice though.

I disagree with the Coaching. I said this before and I truly feel that a lessor Coach than Ruff and the Sabres are dead last in the Conference. He is the only member of the organization that wears his heart on his sleeve. I think he was embarrassed by the Ranger game and was hoping his team would respond. I wouldn't be surprised if he was more disappointed than anyone when his team backed down.

You know, for all the bellyaching about losing to the Islanders, they are 7-1-3 in their last 11 at home. And I do understand the complaing goes back farther than the last game, but I'm just saying, no shame losing to New York. They have turned it around and that goalie they have is really on fire now.

I'm hoping one of the players becomes the vocal leader of the locker room; Miller tried to take on that role last season, but was criticized for it. Unfortunately, he is the only one I really see as a true leader on the team.

This team needs a player(other than Miller) who will demand those play well around him. As jad1 pointed out, this team needs a "daddy": A veteran player who isn't there to make friends, and who isn't afraid to call out his team mates if they're playing sub par. He's there to win, and damn it the team around him better strive for that same goal. This of course was Chris Drury, but that ship has set sailed.

I fear no one on the team, as of right now, can assume that role. We may need an outsider, similar to Craig Rivet, who can pull the reigns on this team and lead them. We have great talent on this team, and this is a team that can win. It's just a matter of how badly they want it, and how much they believe in themselves.

You know, for all the bellyaching about losing to the Islanders, they are 7-1-3 in their last 11 at home. And I do understand the complaing goes back farther than the last game, but I'm just saying, no shame losing to New York. They have turned it around and that goalie they have is really on fire now.

I've said it a million times before :

It's not the losing that bothers me, it's that they don't even bother to show up for the game.

Spacek himself said the team thought this would be an easy game, hence they decided to mail it in yet again, and that is just plain unacceptable.

They're trying to squeeze in at 8th, and they figured "it would be an easy game".

You can read the Isles home record, why can't the Sabres?

Guest Sloth

Both you and Callaway wrote good posts. Management has to come to the realization that they need to prepare for the 2010/2011. Yes, that's not next season. Darcy needs to clean house and change the grit, the mentality, and the style of play for this team. Right now, the Sabres have far too many softies (not willing to lay a HUGE hit when needed)/setup players.

I like Spacek a lot, but Buffalo could possibly get something good in return. Connolly may raise some GM's eyebrows as well. Trade to build for the upcoming seasons, not to make a playoff run this year.

Both you and Callaway wrote good posts. Management has to come to the realization that they need to prepare for the 2010/2011. Yes, that's not next season. Darcy needs to clean house and change the grit, the mentality, and the style of play for this team. Right now, the Sabres have far too many softies (not willing to lay a HUGE hit when needed)/setup players.

I like Spacek a lot, but Buffalo could possibly get something good in return. Connolly may raise some GM's eyebrows as well. Trade to build for the upcoming seasons, not to make a playoff run this year.

Indeed.

Even if we did creep in at 8th or even 7th, what are we hoping to accomplish? A first round exit? A second round exit at best?

Time to cut losses, and build for years to come.

Exactly too many of the same player. There is limited leadership in that locker room. That is what bothered me about Revit being named Captain after 2 weeks in camp. This team is starving for new blood at the top. We can scream about lack of heart all we want, but what I think is missing is whatever Drury and perhaps Briere provided and management has to find a way to revive that lockerroom.

Archived