Needed: 20 Kaletas

bottlecap

I don't care if we lose every game. If we had 20 Kaletas, no one would want to play us. I don't remember the last time a Sabres beat the crap out of the rest of the league. I'd like to see this team

rebuilt. Get rid of all the pussies and start getting guys who can steamroll other guys. It did my

heart good to see Brind'Amour go down hard last night (and not come back). Definately worth a two minute minor. If we're going to be mediocre or a little better than average, I'd like to see us mop up on the other teams, like they've been doing to us.

I don't care if we lose every game. If we had 20 Kaletas, no one would want to play us. I don't remember the last time a Sabres beat the crap out of the rest of the league. I'd like to see this team

rebuilt. Get rid of all the pussies and start getting guys who can steamroll other guys. It did my

heart good to see Brind'Amour go down hard last night (and not come back). Definately worth a two minute minor. If we're going to be mediocre or a little better than average, I'd like to see us mop up on the other teams, like they've been doing to us.

I completely agree that Kaleta is a MAJOR asset to this team. We actually sat him against Philadelphia for Peters...wow.

I completely agree that Kaleta is a MAJOR asset to this team. We actually sat him against Philadelphia for Peters...wow.

Which makes me wonder why Lindy isn't called out more regularly along with his players?

Anytime you play Peters over a healthy Kaleta, you deserve to be called on it.

Now, I don't know if Kaleta was down with the flu or something in this particular case, so if he was please excuse me.

FWIW, that penalty call last night was complete . Kaleta hadn't taken a stride for a good 15 feet. If he had actually 'charged' him, Brindamour would be out on Perry street.

FWIW, that penalty call last night was complete . Kaleta hadn't taken a stride for a good 15 feet. If he had actually 'charged' him, Brindamour would be out on Perry street.

like i said elsewhere, i liked that hit a lot.

but, again, the charging penalty doesn't get called on the basis of strides, and for good reason. the penalty gets called on a discretionary basis based on the ref's take on a combination of factors, chiefly the distance traveled and the resulting violence of the hit. kaleta got a good head of steam coming from our bench area (that's not shown on the replay below), and traveled about 1/2 the width of the rink to just obliterate brindamour.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFWLTYfMlc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFWLTYfMlc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

we can support the hit and the guy who delivered it, but saying the call was complete b.s. is over-reaching; let's own the hit for what it was.

but, again, the charging penalty doesn't get called on the basis of strides, and for good reason. the penalty gets called on a discretionary basis based on the ref's take on a combination of factors, chiefly the distance traveled and the resulting violence of the hit. kaleta got a good head of steam coming from our bench area (that's not shown on the replay below), and traveled about 1/2 the width of the rink to just obliterate brindamour.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFWLTYfMlc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFWLTYfMlc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

we can support the hit and the guy who delivered it, but saying the call was complete b.s. is over-reaching; let's own the hit for what it was.

Post of the year! With video evidence too.

I like Kaleta. But Marv's words come to mind: don't be dumb and don't be dirty. There's no applause appropriate for taking a stupid penalty so late in a near-playoff game.

After 4 games, you'd be calling for the GMs and head coaches head.

I completely disagree. That was a Star call. Kaleta originally comes over to play the puck. When Rod changes direction, he opened himself up for the hit and Kaleta took the opportunity, as he should have. BS call. Mair got hit the EXACT same way a few games ago and there was no call.

And do you really think that if Roy did that pirouette that Ryan did with 4 minutes to go, that he wouldn't have been called for a dive. Again...BS.

every team would want to play us for the easy win,

i understand the premise of toughness, but you also have to score more goals than the other team not just bash their heads in.

That was a Star call.

let's not so elevate rod the bod. ;)

that said, i agree that it matters to some refs who's on the receiving end of potentially punishable conduct.

Kaleta originally comes over to play the puck.

no disagreement there - as he comes into the screen, you can see his head/eyes focused on the puck in the players' skates. still, i'm not sure how that changes the call or the analysis of it. many, if not most, charges occur when the player delivering the hit was coming in to play the puck.

Mair got hit the EXACT same way a few games ago and there was no call.

no memory of that one, sorry.

And do you really think that if Roy did that pirouette that Ryan did with 4 minutes to go, that he wouldn't have been called for a dive. Again...BS.

as a corollary to the rule above, it also frequently matters who's doing the punishable conduct. roy has all but eradicated diving from his game -- what he can't do is erase his history of diving from the memories of each and every referee.

The is no reason that Kaleta should sit EVER! Sitting him for Peters to play is a complete joke.

Kaleta has shown he can score and skate well enough to be a full time 3rd liner and has been used on the PK. This is enough reason to say that he should never sit out again...let alone sit out so Peters can play.

let's not so elevate rod the bod. ;)

that said, i agree that it matters to some refs who's on the receiving end of potentially punishable conduct.

no disagreement there - as he comes into the screen, you can see his head/eyes focused on the puck in the players' skates. still, i'm not sure how that changes the call or the analysis of it. many, if not most, charges occur when the player delivering the hit was coming in to play the puck.

no memory of that one, sorry.

as a corollary to the rule above, it also frequently matters who's doing the punishable conduct. roy has all but eradicated diving from his game -- what he can't do is erase his history of diving from the memories of each and every referee.

True, which is why he shouldn't have been a diving in the first place.

That said, some players dive all the time without ever getting a reputation with the refs - Mark Recchi comes to mind.

A reputation with the media and players, yes. Not with the refs, for some odd reason.

every team would want to play us for the easy win,

i understand the premise of toughness, but you also have to score more goals than the other team not just bash their heads in.

I don't think there'd be many easy wins for the opponents if this were the case. I want to see a (different GM build a) Sabres team that will kick the other team's ass on a consistent basis, as a reaction to us getting our kicked and running scared for way too many years in a row! :death:

True, which is why he shouldn't have been a diving in the first place.

he got caught up in the new/new nhl. and he was only following his captain's lead at the time.

That said, some players dive all the time without ever getting a reputation with the refs - Mark Recchi comes to mind. A reputation with the media and players, yes. Not with the refs, for some odd reason.

agreed - it's a bit of a mystery. it may be that those players spent some time earning a certain reputation in the league, got some cred, and then, as they maybe started to lose a step or two, started using that cred to sell penalties.

I don't think there'd be many easy wins for the opponents if this were the case. I want to see a (different GM build a) Sabres team that will kick the other team's ass on a consistent basis, as a reaction to us getting our kicked and running scared for way too many years in a row! :death:

no thats absurd to claim that 20 kaleta type players will win. You need offense and some grit, but only some. Even when Anaheim won the cup and were considered the baddest team around, they still had tons of firepower. See Below. Name a team that won a cup that didnt have tons of firepower up front? who do we have thats even close to these guys? Look at the teams ahead of us in the standing, see how many 20 goal scoreres they have, then look at us, the prob isnt team toughness, the problem is lack of scoring.

GP G A P

1 Teemu Selanne ANA R 82 48 46 94

2 Andy McDonald ANA C 82 27 51 78

3 Scott Niedermayer ANA D 79 15 54

4 Chris Kunitz ANA L 81 25 35 60

5 Chris Pronger ANA D 66 13 46 59

6 Ryan Getzlaf ANA C 82 25 33 58

7 Dustin Penner ANA R 82 29 16 45

I completely disagree. That was a Star call. Kaleta originally comes over to play the puck. When Rod changes direction, he opened himself up for the hit and Kaleta took the opportunity, as he should have. BS call. Mair got hit the EXACT same way a few games ago and there was no call.

The call was absolute . That was less of a hit than Kaleta has thrown previously with no call. He didn't jump, he didn't hit the head. He did what he does. He slammed the guy with the puck. What a bunch of crap, and he coasted into him.

Just a note that I didn't see posted.

Does anyone remember who it was who got Spacek hurt in that game?

Yup, Brind'Amour.

Anyone remember who got their ars bashed in by Kaleta?

Yup, Brind'Amour.

Who still cares?

Yup, Kaleta.

Archived