Capitals create first NHL Female Fan Club

millbank

It's all about putting butts in the seats. If you can hook the wife, you can sell that family some tickets. And Hot dogs. And foam fingers. And maybe if mom feels really good about her newfound knowledge and the way it makes her connect with the husband and kids, they'll come back!

It's all about putting butts in the seats. If you can hook the wife, you can sell that family some tickets. And Hot dogs. And foam fingers. And maybe if mom feels really good about her newfound knowledge and the way it makes her connect with the husband and kids, they'll come back!

ba da bing.

For some reason I laughed when I read foam finger.

The Caps already have a good booster club, and the President and VP are both women.

http://www.capsfanclub.org/dnn/

What, Ted Leonsis doesn't think that's enough? I'm sorry, but I think this is just for publicity. It panders to a stereotype that women don't know hockey and can't understand it on their own.

P.S. FWIW, the Sabres Booster Club is co-ed as well Millbank. We already have our shiz together.

What is this? My post tells for information that Capitals are starting a all female fan club. Nothing else. All are free to make their own judgments. Frankly it would be my opinion, if Ladies find greater enjoyment following hockey by joining a all female fan group good for them, if they are happier in a non gender specific group good for them, if they do not care to join any group good for them.

The Caps already have a good booster club, and the President and VP are both women.

What, Ted Leonsis doesn't think that's enough? I'm sorry, but I think this is just for publicity. It panders to a stereotype that women don't know hockey and can't understand it on their own.

P.S. FWIW, the Sabres Booster Club is co-ed as well Millbank. We already have our shiz together.

What is this? My post tells for information that Capitals are starting a all female fan club. Nothing else. All are free to make their own judgments. Frankly it would be my opinion, if Ladies find greater enjoyment following hockey by joining a all female fan group good for them, if they are happier in a non gender specific group good for them, if they do not care to join any group good for them.

Your post read "Cmon Sabre Women get it going".

What it is is my response. Another Caps club is redundant and unnecessary. And pandering. And it would be in Buffalo too. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

for goodness sake child, read the top of my post, it has a link and below it the words I typed in

"Must be plenty of fine Sabre ladies.... no impostors allowed".

Your post read "Cmon Sabre Women get it going".

What it is is my response. Another Caps club is redundant and unnecessary. And pandering. And it would be in Buffalo too. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

So you believe that all women (or at least all female Caps fans) know hockey AND would be comfortable in a coed booster club that assumes you know what's going on?

If there's a market for a booster club that "dumbs it down" (no disrespect intended) for women who are new to the sport, don't understand it, or don't want to hang out with the guys, and the Caps provide an opportunity to bring those fans into the fold - well that's brilliant. It's not pandering or publicity - especially in this economic climate.

for goodness sake child, read the top of my post, it has a link and below it the words I typed in

"Must be plenty of fine Sabre ladies.... no impostors allowed".

Child? Time to stop taking this personally Millbank. My issue is with the Caps not you.

FWIW BMwolf21, yes I do know what is going on. I'm a member of the Sabres Booster Club and I have friends in the Caps club. You should not assume a girl or woman would be or should be afraid or intimidated to learn about hockey through a group like that. They wouldn't have to hang out with just "the guys" -- they are both co-ed. Why not learn about hockey from other fans who know the game rather than by some spokesperson of the team. Isn't going to a game with friends or family how we all learned to love and understand the game in the first place?

Let's hear from the other women on the board if they think I am completely wrong. I'd like to hear their point of view. Would any of you prefer a woman-only group?

Child? Time to stop taking this personally Millbank. My issue is with the Caps not you.

FWIW BMwolf21, yes I do know what is going on. I'm a member of the Sabres Booster Club and I have friends in the Caps club. You should not assume a girl or woman would be or should be afraid or intimidated to learn about hockey through a group like that. They wouldn't have to hang out with just "the guys" -- they are both co-ed. Why not learn about hockey from other fans who know the game rather than by some spokesperson of the team. Isn't going to a game with friends or family how we all learned to love and understand the game in the first place?

Let's hear from the other women on the board if they think I am completely wrong. I'd like to hear their point of view. Would any of you prefer a woman-only group?

[/crickets]They must all be posting on womens only boards. :lol:

And you should not assume that because there are women in the Caps or Sabres booster club that there is no need for a female-only club. Again, it's about connecting with every possible fan and since this club exists, there is obviously a need or desire for a women's-only booster club. It's not pandering or PR, it's about growing your fan base. Period.

[/crickets]They must all be posting on womens only boards. :lol:

:lol: Awesome.

I assumed that there could be a rational discussion of this here. What the hell was I thinking?

Are you upset because people have a differing opinion than you? Because I don't see anyone attacking you.

there is obviously a need or desire for a women's-only booster club. It's not pandering or PR, it's about growing your fan base. Period.

:lol: Awesome.

Are you upset because people have a differing opinion than you? Because I don't see anyone attacking you.

I think we will always disagree that this club is needed to grow a fan base. And we aren't going to change each other's minds. Fine.

I'm not upset-- just stating a differing opinion. Anyone who interprets my posts that way is mistaken.

Hmmmm. Where would I start.

Co-ed 'booster' or whatever club. I'm fine with that. I'd assume if you are married or have the significant other it would be fun. Go, hang out, meet other couples. I wouldn't be intimidated by going alone or with friends to a few meeting or gatherings.

A girls club for hockey? I'm fine with that too. I'd agree in the marketing world this is a decent thing. The more people you have involved the better when it comes to revenue. As far as the pandering, dumb it down part, meh. In my book, getting the girls together for sushi, a few martinis, and talking about hockey is cool. I'd suppose a few of them would like to learn more about the game from someone other than their spouse or boyfriend who just might "dumb it down" so much they feel inferior.

I think we will always disagree that this club is needed to grow a fan base. And we aren't going to change each other's minds. Fine.

I'm not upset-- just stating a differing opinion. Anyone who interprets my posts that way is mistaken.

I never said the Sabres need a women's-only club, but this may be something that works for the Caps. If the Sabres realize that there is a need for something similar, then the team should do what they have to in order to fill that need. It's just good business. They would be complete morons to say "we already have a booster club. That should be good enough."

The Caps director of fan development hit the nail on the head - female markets have, for much of pro sports' history, been ignored, marginalized or disregarded:

"We have a large and passionate female fan base, and like the rest of our audience, it is growing," senior manager of fan development Kim Frank said in a statement released by the team. "Women have been underserved in traditional sports experiences and coverage, and Club Scarlet will provide a customized outlet where our female fans can express their passion for the Caps year round."

According to the Capitals, the website will include "content specifically created for Washington Capitals female fans. The site will include hockey instruction, behind-the-scenes videos of Caps players and an outlet for women to discuss the team and hockey on an exclusive message board."

Website at Issue

Judge for yourselves the Scarlet Club...

-you hang in there P, you are appreciated.... :)

I'm fairly disappointed with this website for one reason. Under Hockey 101/Lingo:

Ice Resurfacer:

The vehicle used to resurface the ice before the game and after each period. The machine scrapes a thin layer off the ice, heats it and puts down a fresh coat of warm water that freezes to form a new, smooth layer of ice.

I know it's technically called an "Ice Resurfacer" but come on. How many people out there have actually referred to it as that.

I guess they have never heard the term "Zamboni" before.

Yeah, I watch all games on my back too. :nana:

It's easier if you do it like the Bloodhound Gang suggests. Then we can both watch. :thumbsup:

It's all about...butts. If you can hook the wife...Hot dogs...foam fingers. And mom feels really good

:unsure:

ba da bing.

For some reason I laughed when I read foam finger.

You weren't the only one. :D

Archived