Capitals create first NHL Female Fan Club

millbank

Okay. Here's my 2 cents.

First Penny: I'm a woman and I don't do clubs. I learned the game by watching the game. Most sports have few rules and they are easy to learn. Where it gets tricky is when stats are analyzed, memorized and spewed at will. Men are better at this than us. I'm a simple gal. I just want to watch the game I love with the people I love. Which brings me to my...

Second Penny: I am also a business owner and appreciate what the Caps are trying to do. Like I said previously, it's all about putting butts in the seats, growing your fan base. If it works for them, great! Maybe one of those club gals will connect on a deeper level with her man, marry him in an on-ice ceremony between periods, have babies who can skate before they can walk and live happily after as Cap fans. Court the women and eventually you may have a family holding season tickets. You all laugh, but I've got three kids and let me tell you I've bought my share of foam fingers, hotdogs, candy, popcorn, jerseys, t-shirts, pins, pucks, and tiny little sticks. I've bought programs, posters, ice cream and Build-a-Bear Sliders. I'm not rich nor do I spoil my kids but we do go to lots of different events, and we like souveniers.

So while a club like that might not be for me, it might be just what some ladies are looking for.

Here's a first -- I admit I was wrong.

I did not consider that the DC area does not have diehard hockey fans like WNY and Southern Ontario. It shouldn't be surprising to me that the Caps have to work to expand their fan base -- especially when alot of the fans who go to their games don't know enough to cheer unless someone is blowing an annoying horn.

It's an area that's been long dominated by Redskins football and college hoops. I get it now why the Washington Caps would do anything possible to attract and educate new fans.

I'm off my soap box now. Let's talk Sabres hockey.

Here's a first -- I admit I was wrong.

I did not consider that the DC area does not have diehard hockey fans like WNY and Southern Ontario. It shouldn't be surprising to me that the Caps have to work to expand their fan base -- especially when alot of the fans who go to their games don't know enough to cheer unless someone is blowing an annoying horn.

It's an area that's been long dominated by Redskins football and college hoops. I get it now why the Washington Caps would do anything possible to attract and educate new fans.

I'm off my soap box now. Let's talk Sabres hockey.

:thumbsup:

Fair enough. I can respect anyone who admits to an error or misunderstanding.

Now, about those damn Sabres....

Archived