[OT] Marshawn Lynch charged with felony

cdexchange

WTF is up with the ending.... LOL

anyways, i really don't see the point of that youtube. Fights do happen and ironically this is a hockey forum and fights in hockey are allowed. Compared to all the fights in all the sports between players the NHL obviously has more fights a year than all the other sports combined yet you don't see Gaustad packing a glock.

Well with people like these in sports, I'm not surprised they carry guns since they have such a flagrant disrespect for other people. And I don't care how caught up in the game, emotion, adrenaline, etc... you don't do this sh!t.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXE2hq3IKuE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXE2hq3IKuE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I like the baseball player that kicks the catcher first and then goes after the pitcher.. Haven't seen that before..

As a Prosecutor, I can tell you that (at least in florida) it's not that easy wjaq. There are a ton of variables from the initial basis for the traffic stop, the basis for the seach, and finally the location of the gun, that will dictate where this is headed. Time will tell I suppose. Why don't these idiots just get concealed carry permits?

I'm not disputing that he may untangle himself from the law with a good defense team. But the NFL doesn't necessarily care. In one sense, they're like insurance companies, they're not accidents, but incidents. Get enough incidents and they drop you. With Goodell at the helm, players get suspended for repeated incidents. They also get suspended when the frequency of the incidents appears to be close or on the rise. Two off seasons, two problems... Not good.

My only question is how many games will he get suspended for: one, two, three or four? I'll wager two.

From the NFL.com story:

Lynch's lawyer, M. Gerald Schwartzbach, said his client was not involved in a traffic accident and was in California visiting friends.

"This incident did not involve any violence," Schwartzbach told NFL Network. "Although I am in the process of gathering facts, my current understanding is that the weapon wasn't on Marshawn's person, he was not driving. This weapon was in the trunk."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

If the weapon was in his trunk, then he's not guilty of anything, thus I doubt the lawyer is accurately portraying this. When I live in CA (albeit nearly 20 years ago), they did not have concealed weapons permits, but you were allowed to have your gun in a car, provide it was unloaded and the ammo locked up separately. The gun couldn't be loaded. If the weapon was in the trunk, the police would need a search warrant to get in there, since they are only allowed to seize weapons/articles within the reach of the driver or passengers...i.e., weapons, drug items, etc in plain view. Seems there was more going on here than meets the eye.

Regardless...what a dumb ass. Michael Phelps, Marshawn, the list grows of athletes who have all the potential in the world, but do stupid ass stuff for whatever reason.

Yep. I'd say the majority of the league operates similarly to Marshawn. They own guns, smoke weed, are beligerent to most everyone. I accepted that a while ago.

Which is why I stopped watching/supporting the NFL about 5 years ago. I certainly will never spend a dollar on the NBA and the NFL has gotten there as well. Money talks and the only way it changes is either in the wallet or in the heart. Since I can't change their hearts, I can definitely change (albeit a very small amount) their wallets.

If the weapon was in his trunk, then he's not guilty of anything, thus I doubt the lawyer is accurately portraying this. When I live in CA (albeit nearly 20 years ago), they did not have concealed weapons permits, but you were allowed to have your gun in a car, provide it was unloaded and the ammo locked up separately. The gun couldn't be loaded. If the weapon was in the trunk, the police would need a search warrant to get in there, since they are only allowed to seize weapons/articles within the reach of the driver or passengers...i.e., weapons, drug items, etc in plain view. Seems there was more going on here than meets the eye.

Regardless...what a dumb ass. Michael Phelps, Marshawn, the list grows of athletes who have all the potential in the world, but do stupid ass stuff for whatever reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_t...ate)#California

They do now.

I have my GA permit simply because I like shooting at paper targets. The laws are so complex that I worry about inadvertently breaking one. I've never felt the need to carry a gun for protection or anything like that. It's purely holes in paper. NY has some of, if not *the* most restrictive laws in the country.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law lives in Alabama. He walked in to the courthouse with $50 and walked out 30 minutes later with an AL carry permit (which is accepted by most surrounding states).

Oh well. Not surprising. Thugism (new word?) like this is yet another reason I've been losing interest in the NFL over the past 5 or 6 years.

millbank posted this in the TSW thread on Marshawn's arrest:

California Firearms Law

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

Would appear if reports are correct he had gun in trunk, he may have been within his rights...

millbank posted this in the TSW thread on Marshawn's arrest:

Exactly. There's a very real possibility Lynch did nothing wrong. Remember, we're talking about Los Angeles cops here! What was the reason for him being stopped, aside from being black and in an expensive car? I'm going to give Marshawn the benefit of the doubt until we know more about the situation. As for questions of why he'd have a gun in the first place? Remember in his 2007 draft writeup that he's been shot at in the past (mistaken identity for some Oakland gang member). As far as I know, this is still the United States and we still have a second amendment right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_t...ate)#California

They do now.

I have my GA permit simply because I like shooting at paper targets. The laws are so complex that I worry about inadvertently breaking one. I've never felt the need to carry a gun for protection or anything like that. It's purely holes in paper. NY has some of, if not *the* most restrictive laws in the country.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law lives in Alabama. He walked in to the courthouse with $50 and walked out 30 minutes later with an AL carry permit (which is accepted by most surrounding states).

Oh well. Not surprising. Thugism (new word?) like this is yet another reason I've been losing interest in the NFL over the past 5 or 6 years.

So it's o.k. for you to carry but not Marshawn??

I didn't see any reports of him waiving it around, shooting himself in the leg at a club, or pillaging women and children. I'm surprised by the negative feedback he's received about this prior to the whole story coming out. Of course, creaming some Canadian Woman on the Chipp. could be to blame for the kneejerk reactions :unsure:

Either way, carrying a gun is protected under the constitution, assuming it's done within the constraints of the law. Until it's proven otherwise, I don't see the problem. If you don't like guns, fine. But that doesn't make him a thug, much less a criminal....... just my 2 cents, and I'm not picking on you, McJeff, just going off what you said.

Exactly. There's a very real possibility Lynch did nothing wrong. Remember, we're talking about Los Angeles cops here! What was the reason for him being stopped, aside from being black and in an expensive car? I'm going to give Marshawn the benefit of the doubt until we know more about the situation. As for questions of why he'd have a gun in the first place? Remember in his 2007 draft writeup that he's been shot at in the past (mistaken identity for some Oakland gang member). As far as I know, this is still the United States and we still have a second amendment right.

Is Lynch licensed to have a firearm? Isn't that the big question here? If the idiot feels he need to own a firearm then spend a few bucks and go through the training and legally own the weapon.

So it's o.k. for you to carry but not Marshawn??

I didn't see any reports of him waiving it around, shooting himself in the leg at a club, or pillaging women and children. I'm surprised by the negative feedback he's received about this prior to the whole story coming out. Of course, creaming some Canadian Woman on the Chipp. could be to blame for the kneejerk reactions :unsure:

Either way, carrying a gun is protected under the constitution, assuming it's done within the constraints of the law. Until it's proven otherwise, I don't see the problem. If you don't like guns, fine. But that doesn't make him a thug, much less a criminal....... just my 2 cents, and I'm not picking on you, McJeff, just going off what you said.

Thug? No. Moron? Yes.

Is that based on the assumption that the gun is not legal, or just because he owns a gun?

Because he is a NFL football player that owns a gun that may be illegal. If he isn't smart enough to understand that as a NFL player he has a huge spotlight on him at all times what dose that say about him? NFL players responsibilities extend beyond the field. It's a 365 day a year job. He works for one of the biggest marketing firms in the country. He is less than a year away from running a women down in his car. If that wasn't enough to turn the light on in his head? What will be?

The number of people defending this moron on TSW(and to a lesser extent here) is even worse than when the Chippewa incident occurred. If you replace him with Fred Jackson full time, the team would be no worse off for it(and may even be better). I could see if this was your star QB and fans just don't want to accept how much it would hurt if he wasn't on the team, but this guy is an average RB who is far from irreplaceable.

Is Lynch licensed to have a firearm? Isn't that the big question here? If the idiot feels he need to own a firearm then spend a few bucks and go through the training and legally own the weapon.

Good point. To me, the $64,000 question is "why aren't the agents and players union doing more to educate these idiots about gun laws, gun safety, etc.?"

Ummm well seems like so far I will go contrary to the some of the opinions inferred here.

1.) He was not doing anything illegal and I will presume innocent before guilty.

2.) IMHO, Until BOR is changed he is still within his 2nd amendment right.

Culver City Captain Dave Tankenson told Adam Benigni and WGRZ-TV Tuesday night that there was more to the Marshawn Lynch arrest than previously reported. Police detected a strong odor of marijuana after the windows were rolled down of the car Marshawn Lynch was in that was suspiciously parked with the engine running. Four "blunts or swisher sweets" were found in the Mercedes but no charges were suggested because the officers could not determine who had been smoking or who was in possession of the "blunts or swisher sweets."

My Marshawn is a good boy. He wouldn't do anything wrong.

Yeah, right.

Good point. To me, the $64,000 question is "why aren't the agents and players union doing more to educate these idiots about gun laws, gun safety, etc.?"

Maybe he loses "street cred" if he takes the time to learn how to properly handle and maintain a firearm. Maybe he won't be let in the Clubs if they find out that he registered a gun and took the steps to ensure the his safety and the safety of others around him.

As I hear more about the gun and now that there was pot in the car as well I have to go back to his running down of that women on Chippewa. Was he drunk and stoned and that is why he fled the scene? Did he have pot and guns in his car then and that's why he took off? Did he avoid contact with the police to allow masking agents to do their job? I guess we'll never know unless someone in the car decides to make some money by telling the entire story.

Archived