So, any good Sabre gifts this year?

PASabreFan

I got the Paul Wieland book, "Then Perreault Said to Rico..." A pretty good, quick read. Hilarious stories involved Bill Hajt recounting one explanation for his first star performance in Colorado and how Seymour Knox found out that Taro Tsujimoto was a hoax. A few too many typos and factual errors for my liking ("Wowie Howie" and Sabres in the finals in the "late 70s").

I was very disappointed that Wieland spent half of a chapter on Ted Darling praising the man and the other half tearing down play by play announcers whose style was different than Ted's. Wieland referred to announcers who "hype." It's pretty clear he's referring to Jeanneret, and that there must be some very bad blood between the two. If he's not referring to Jeanneret, shame on the author. Without a kind word about Jeanneret in the chapter, he had to know people would assume the worst. (Jeanneret is referred to earlier in the book as a "hardy soul" who liked to whet his whistle with beer during the games.)

The lack of source material from the greatest living figure in franchise history is telling. Too bad that the men couldn't have buried the hatchet so that some of Jeanneret's stories could be put in print. Maybe he'll write a book after his play by play days are done in 2033. :)

Hey,i was thinking about this earlier. Does "the making of a classic" dvd have RJ on the play by play for the game? Or is it still that crappy verus announcer? Mike Emerick? I dont remember his name.

I got one, but I don't know that the whole game is on it...

The part I watched was a summary, that included calls from Rick, Bob Costas, and CBC announcers.

Got tickets to the afternoon game in Boston next Saturday, too.

I got one, but I don't know that the whole game is on it...

The part I watched was a summary, that included calls from Rick, Bob Costas, and CBC announcers.

Got tickets to the afternoon game in Boston next Saturday, too.

Ohh wow,i just assumed that the whole game was on the dvd. But i'm not really sure either.

About a month or so ago, as I was making my list for Santa, I did some online searching for vintage logo gear and was surprised (well, not really) about the dearth of the vintage logo gear out there. Sure, you can find a tee shirt or hat, but looking for a fleece or a sweatshirt, forget it. I still refuse to ask Santa for slug-logo stuff...just refuse to.

Also, has anyone noticed the abundance of stuff available for this year's Winter Classic? Last year, on nhl.com, I think there was about a page of stuff...this year, there's tons of items. Ugh.....

Also, has anyone noticed the abundance of stuff available for this year's Winter Classic? Last year, on nhl.com, I think there was about a page of stuff...this year, there's tons of items. Ugh.....

It still bothers me that they never released a true Winter Classic jersey for the Sabres. The only one marketed as a WC jersey was simply the same throwback replica jersey that was out already. It didn't even have a laced collar and there was no authentic (on-ice version) released. We got hosed there. I did see a Roy game-worn WC jersey on Ebay, but the $2,999 buyout was a little rich for my blood. :death:

My sixteen-day-old niece, courtesy of her totally awesome uncle, got:

1 miniature third jersey, suitable for a three-to-six month old;

1 Sabres sleeper set, which, like the jersey, she can't wear for a couple of months; and

1 sluggalo print bottle.

Don't care that the kid lives in Wrigleyville. I'll be damned if I let her grow up a Blackhawks fan.

Archived