The plain truth about the Sabres

zow2

After that pathetic 2-0 loss to Nashville on home ice this much is clear.

The Buffalo Sabres as assembled now cannot play a defensive muck and grind game and expect to be successful. They do not have the players to perform in that style and consistently win 2-1 type games.

Unfortunately, The Sabres do not trust their defense and goalie to play a wide open style either. Sorry Ryan Miller Fans...if the Sabres want to play that entertaining style where they get 20+ scoring chances, they are also going to give up 4, 5, 6 goals a game. The D and Miller are average at best....and they can't survive on Miller's 3 or 4 mini slumps per year. That's the truth.

They are (and have been... Last year) and will be hovering around as a .500 club until they find replacements for the centers they lost... And no... Those two weren't the be all and end all... Just saying that is where the talen gap is.

Oh... And tweak the system for more steady D play.

Finding another scoring center(or even two) would be great, but until you find 12 forwards who are willing to commit to giving 100% in their own end(all about effort, not talent) and find at least 1 or 2 blueliners who are physical, all your solution will fix is winning some games 6-5 instead of losing them 4-2 or 3-1.

I wonder if anyone noticed which two ultra soft defenseman were on the ice, unable to clear the puck or the front of the net for both Nashville goals. If you guessed Lydman and Tallinder you'd be correct. But what else is new? Why is Weber not on the team and why does Regier refuse to move either of these idiots?

Finding another scoring center(or even two) would be great, but until you find 12 forwards who are willing to commit to giving 100% in their own end(all about effort, not talent) and find at least 1 or 2 blueliners who are physical, all your solution will fix is winning some games 6-5 instead of losing them 4-2 or 3-1.

Those two games would have put the Sabres in the playoffs last year... ;) And there, anything can happen... Crank the defensive screws down...

Those two games would have put the Sabres in the playoffs last year... ;) And there, anything can happen... Crank the defensive screws down...

I fixed my post...

Finding another scoring center(or even two) would be great, but until you find 12 forwards who are willing to commit to giving 100% in their own end(all about effort, not talent) and find at least 1 or 2 blueliners who are physical, all your solution will fix is winning and LOSING some games 6-5 instead of losing them 4-2 or 3-1.

I fixed my post...

Finding another scoring center(or even two) would be great, but until you find 12 forwards who are willing to commit to giving 100% in their own end(all about effort, not talent) and find at least 1 or 2 blueliners who are physical, all your solution will fix is winning and LOSING some games 6-5 instead of losing them 4-2 or 3-1.

Miller is a steady 2.50 GAA or so goalie... You think his average would jump that much (over 3?) I hope they would be able to ride him and in turn he would realize how important he is to the team.

After that pathetic 2-0 loss to Nashville on home ice this much is clear.

The Buffalo Sabres as assembled now cannot play a defensive muck and grind game and expect to be successful. They do not have the players to perform in that style and consistently win 2-1 type games.

Unfortunately, The Sabres do not trust their defense and goalie to play a wide open style either. Sorry Ryan Miller Fans...if the Sabres want to play that entertaining style where they get 20+ scoring chances, they are also going to give up 4, 5, 6 goals a game. The D and Miller are average at best....and they can't survive on Miller's 3 or 4 mini slumps per year. That's the truth.

I agree 100%

I wonder if anyone noticed which two ultra soft defenseman were on the ice, unable to clear the puck or the front of the net for both Nashville goals. If you guessed Lydman and Tallinder you'd be correct. But what else is new? Why is Weber not on the team and why does Regier refuse to move either of these idiots?

Every time that they play Paetsch, they put Lydman back with Tallinder. The best thing that happened to Lydman was being separated from Tallinder this year. He has been one of the best blueliners all year, except when that pair is together. I would be fine with trading Tallinder away, so that Tallydman is never on the ice together again.

Question: who plays the right side defensemen in the Tallydman pair? When paired with the right-handed Rivet, Lydman plays his natural left side. I haven't taken noticed, but wouldn't be surprised to find that he plays the right when paired with Tallinder. Either way, one is playing off-side, which could be part of what hurts their play. Obviously, it's not the only reason, but it definitely doesn't help.

To me its pretty simple: The Sabres do not have the offensive firepower to play the way that made them extremely successful a couple of years ago, which masked the flaws of the defense. Now, that guys like Max, Stafford, Paille, Connolly, Kotalik and Hecht have not performed up to expectations for various reasons, the Sabres are not scoring as much and now have nowhere near the defensive prowess to make up for the flaws in the offense.

Hence, the mediocre start. Get Kotalik back and on track, make a deal for a C, and maybe another move, and I think you will see a better Sabres team in the 2nd half.

Question: who plays the right side defensemen in the Tallydman pair? When paired with the right-handed Rivet, Lydman plays his natural left side. I haven't taken noticed, but wouldn't be surprised to find that he plays the right when paired with Tallinder. Either way, one is playing off-side, which could be part of what hurts their play. Obviously, it's not the only reason, but it definitely doesn't help.

I am pretty sure Lydman plays on the right side.

To me its pretty simple: The Sabres do not have the offensive firepower to play the way that made them extremely successful a couple of years ago, which masked the flaws of the defense. Now, that guys like Max, Stafford, Paille, Connolly, Kotalik and Hecht have not performed up to expectations for various reasons, the Sabres are not scoring as much and now have nowhere near the defensive prowess to make up for the flaws in the offense.

Hence, the mediocre start. Get Kotalik back and on track, make a deal for a C, and maybe another move, and I think you will see a better Sabres team in the 2nd half.

The rest are fine, but Paille does not belong in that group. Sure, he's not scoring, but he's not supposed to. Last year was an added bonus. Sure we want to see him throw in a few points here and there, but his role is to be that lockdown defensive forward.

Paille does not belong in that group. Sure, he's not scoring, but he's not supposed to. Last year was an added bonus. Sure we want to see him throw in a few points here and there, but his role is to be that lockdown defensive forward.
That's a hell of a thing for a 1st round pick.

i'll disagree with that sentiment on paille as well -- the kid, imo, should be peca light, circa 1996-1997 -- that means something like 20/20 (or 17/23, whatever), some grinding, some hitting, some scoring, and playing in all key defensive situations.

i'll disagree with that sentiment on paille as well -- the kid, imo, should be peca light, circa 1996-1997 -- that means something like 20/20 (or 17/23, whatever), some grinding, some hitting, some scoring, and playing in all key defensive situations.

25 goals over 142 career games. You're going to expect 20+ a season from a guy like that? 15 would be a very pleasant number. They need to count on other players for production long before they count on him.

Inkman, take a look at the rest of the 2002 draft. I'd be very happy getting a lockdown defensive forward in the first round of a pretty thin draft. Sure we want everyone to put up 20+ goals, but there are other roles to fill too.

25 goals over 142 career games. You're going to expect 20+ a season from a guy like that? 15 would be a very pleasant number. They need to count on other players for production long before they count on him.

Inkman, take a look at the rest of the 2002 draft. I'd be very happy getting a lockdown defensive forward in the first round of a pretty thin draft. Sure we want everyone to put up 20+ goals, but there are other roles to fill too.

That draft would have looked a lot better if they chose to sign Wideman. They haven't made many mistakes when deciding which guys to sign but he was definitely one of them.

That draft would have looked a lot better if they chose to sign Wideman. They haven't made many mistakes when deciding which guys to sign but he was definitely one of them.

I meant the whole draft as a whole across the entire league. It looks very thin. I guess it's still early, but there should be more production than there is. It seems like there was a very high miss rate throughout the entire draft too.

As for Wideman, I have no idea what the thinking there is. He may very well be a case where he needed to be exactly where he is now to become a player. He didn't exactly set the world on fire in St Louis.

Archived