Why can't the Sabres do it?

spndnchz

The headline reads:

OILERS' PENNER BENCHED, RIPPED BY MACTAVISH

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256277&lid...=topRelated_nhl

TSN:

"He's not competitive enough or fit enough to help us, so why put him back in? He's never been fit enough to help us," Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish told the Sun. "We signed him to be a top-two line player and that's kind of where it ended. The difference was we thought the contract was a starting point, and he's viewed it as a finish line.

"It's been one thing after another. I can't watch it for - certainly not another two and-a-half years."

The Oilers signed Penner to a five-year, $21.25 million restricted free agent offer sheet in August of 2007 after he had scored 29 goals and 16 assists in his rookie season with the Anaheim Ducks. When the Ducks declined to match the offer, the Oilers thought they had a young power forward in the fold.

Instead, Penner has folded. He did score 23 goals for Edmonton last season, but his conditioning was a problem. This season, Penner has just three goals and one assist in 16 games.

vid: http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip113550#clip113550

I read that and say to myself, hey, just insert "same your name" here. I think of a few that could use a good beat down like that from the coach. Step up or step out.

"We signed him to be a top-two line player and that's kind of where it ended. The difference was we thought the contract was a starting point, and he's viewed it as a finish line.

Ouch. It sounds like Penner won't be an Oiler much longer.

Maybe they need a russian playmaking winger? I wonder if Darcy ever deals with Kevin Lowe.

"We signed him to be a top-two line player and that's kind of where it ended. The difference was we thought the contract was a starting point, and he's viewed it as a finish line.

When you look at the road he took to get to the NHL, this really doesn't surprise me. He was never supposed to make it. He finally caught that carrot that was hanging in front of him, so what's next?

The headline reads:

OILERS' PENNER BENCHED, RIPPED BY MACTAVISH

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256277&lid...=topRelated_nhl

TSN:

"He's not competitive enough or fit enough to help us, so why put him back in? He's never been fit enough to help us," Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish told the Sun. "We signed him to be a top-two line player and that's kind of where it ended. The difference was we thought the contract was a starting point, and he's viewed it as a finish line.

"It's been one thing after another. I can't watch it for - certainly not another two and-a-half years."

The Oilers signed Penner to a five-year, $21.25 million restricted free agent offer sheet in August of 2007 after he had scored 29 goals and 16 assists in his rookie season with the Anaheim Ducks. When the Ducks declined to match the offer, the Oilers thought they had a young power forward in the fold.

Instead, Penner has folded. He did score 23 goals for Edmonton last season, but his conditioning was a problem. This season, Penner has just three goals and one assist in 16 games.

vid: http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip113550#clip113550

I read that and say to myself, hey, just insert "same your name" here. I think of a few that could use a good beat down like that from the coach. Step up or step out.

Well, this was discussed a lot last year, and several posters were talking about how Lindy, being benched as player and being completely devastated by it, pretty much views a benching as the most embarassing that can happen to a hockey player, and as such doesn't see it as a way to get someones attention.

Unless your name is Dan Paille that is, in which case he'll happily bench you, no matter how crappy everyone else is playing.

I can't say I really like Lindy's pratice of benching some guys over and over, and letting other guys suck up mega-minutes, regardless how they play.

Kalinin springs to mind, although he did bench him late last year, when it finally became clear that he was a goner.

Can't say I'm not smiling a little over this, considering how Penner ended up being an Oiler :thumbsup:

They are married to Penner. No one is going to take that contract. From what I've been reading, MacTavish is the one whose days are numbered.

You'll see plenty of this with the way deals are being handed out now. Paying longterm based on potential instead of actual results? There's going to be a hell of a lot of misses. It should be fun to sit back and watch.

unless of course one or more of our recent long-term deals falls into the "miss" category, which is likely to be the case.

unless of course one or more of our recent long-term deals falls into the "miss" category, which is likely to be the case.

The three that we have to worry about are Pommer, Vanek and Miller. Pommer had me worried early on, but is back to producing at the level that he needs to. His defensive game, like the rest of the team, has slipped a little lately, but he'll get that back. Vanek is still not totally consistent, but he is better in both ends this year than last and, goal-wise, should hit numbers more like two years ago. Miller's really the big potential miss. He, too, is inconsistent, but when the team plays solid defense, he is good enough to keep us in every game. I suppose that you could add Roy in there, too, but at only $4 million per year, I doubt that he will ever be a true "miss". He may play like only a $4 million player, but not less; he just contributes to too many aspects of the game (EV, SH, PP, offense, defense, faceoffs.) I'd say that there is far more potential for him to play above the $4 million level.

I'm hesitant to throw Pominville and Miller under the label I threw out there earlier. They at least had some sort of track record before signing their deals. I was thinking more in the line of players like Vanek and Penner. They were just coming out of their entry level deals, with not very much experience and had a big offer thrown at them. I'd also be tempted to put Roy under that label. His money is very similar to Penner's.

But still, all of these guys are paid under the assumption that they will continue to grow as players. Basically all of the longterm deal players were signed in that manor. So yes, I'd say we can talk about all of these guys in this hit/miss perspective.

Maybe a little fire is starting. Lindy moving the lines up. Telling Roy he sucks right now (in not so many words). I guess we'll see tonight.

Now how about LR telling DR and the FO to "FO and get me a vet center!"

What makes us think he hasn't been saying that since July 1st 2007?

:lol: :lol: Nice Job Kevin Lowe. :lol: :lol: How does he still have a job. He is like the Matt Millen of the NHL.

Lowe isn't a bad GM. He pissed a lot of people off with those offer sheets but he couldn't get a free agent to even look at Edmonton after the Pronger fiasco. The Vanek and Penner moves were statements he made to show player agents and other GMs that the franchise is serious about winning. He's less than three year's removed from a stanley cup finals appearance, has assembled one of the best young team's in the NHL, and he's done it almost exclusively via trades and the draft, which to me is the measure of a GM's real worth. Saw them play Columbus Tuesday and they made the Jackets look like an ECHL team based on the speed and skill comparison.

Archived