All-Star Voting

frisky

So, I've been trying to vote our boys to the All-Star game. One problem is I can't seem to get to the website. Perhaps it's overloaded? Anyone else have trouble or has been able to vote yet?

Yup, blows goats. Good ol' NHL probably put the voting on the same server as everything else they have on their website.

I had a bit of trouble simply because the load times were taking forever. However, once I got in, I voted no problem.

However, I do have a complaint. Remember that writer that was saying people in Buffalo have nothing better to do than vote on the All Star starters? I'd like to hear what he has to say this year. So far, all six of the eastern All Star leaders are....Montreal Canadiens. And when I say leaders I mean LEADERS.

For example (all numbers are current as of about 12:30pm Thursday, November 13):

Forwards: 1.) Saku Koivu 103,269 votes; 2.) Alex Kovalev 101,698 votes; 3.) Alex Tanguay 100,790 votes; 4.) Alexander Semin (Washington Capitals) 51,777 votes.

We are talking almost double the votes for the lowest Canadien over the highest non-Canadien player. To drive it furthur home, Crosby comes in at 8th place with a mere 21,617 votes. No Sabres in the top 10, btw.

Defense: 1.) Andrei Markov 109,801 votes; 2.) Mike Komisarek 103,232 votes; 3.) Kimmo Timonen (Philadelphia Flyers) 26,564 votes.

That is nearly four times as many votes over the highest non-Canadien player. No Sabres in the top 10.

Goalie: 1.) Carey Price 112,452 votes; 2.) Henrik Lundqvist (New York Rangers) 41,157 votes.

More than double the highest non-Canadien player. Miller cracks the top 5 in fifth place with a paltry 6,906 votes.

And just fyi, the Western conference numbers are in line with all the non-Canadien players' vote numbers.

I guess since it is the 100th anniversary for the Habs they get to have six retro jerseys, host the All-Star game and have the entire starting line up on the ice, too. Perhaps even with all the 100th anniversary events going on in Montreal there is still nothing better for the fans to do there...

Do we want Sabres in the all-star game? Risk of injury, effect on player's mindset, increased cost to retain such players.

The injury issue is minimal at best. As for the price, right now our top candidates are obviously Vanek and Miller. They're locked up for a while so that's not an issue. No one beyond them would be getting any consideration at this point.

The injury issue is minimal at best. As for the price, right now our top candidates are obviously Vanek and Miller. They're locked up for a while so that's not an issue. No one beyond them would be getting any consideration at this point.

What about mindset. I recall that Miller went in the tank after being named to the All-star game -- or immediately after the game, I forget.

What about mindset. I recall that Miller went in the tank after being named to the All-star game -- or immediately after the game, I forget.

By being exposed in the skills competition, right? Eh, I don't put much weight into it. I can't see Vanek being effected by it, only a goalie. You'd like to think that with the extra experience, the possibility of getting lit up wouldn't shake Miller this time. The whole thing seems very unlikely to me.

Personally, I want to see a few of our players earn a spot on the team, but not by the fan vote. If they earn the spot, that means they've been playing well, which obviously helps in the standings.

By being exposed in the skills competition, right? Eh, I don't put much weight into it. I can't see Vanek being effected by it, only a goalie. You'd like to think that with the extra experience, the possibility of getting lit up wouldn't shake Miller this time. The whole thing seems very unlikely to me.

Personally, I want to see a few of our players earn a spot on the team, but not by the fan vote. If they earn the spot, that means they've been playing well, which obviously helps in the standings.

IIRC, the year Ryan went to the ASG 5 of the 6 AS goalies struggled after the AS break. (As usual, I think the New Jersey freak was the only one NOT to struggle right after the break.)

There was talk about it here, because Lindy basically admitted that he screwed up in playing Miller in the first couple games after the break.

Dumbass Montreal fans. Top 3 forwards, top 2 defensemen and the top goalie are all habs. Stupid homers...have another beer and do your stupid ole ole chant as you stuff the ballot box.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the NHL will do if it ends up being six Canadien starters. It was bad enough when we had three starters while we were leading the league in 2006-07. This is just a joke.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the NHL will do if it ends up being six Canadien starters. It was bad enough when we had three starters while we were leading the league in 2006-07. This is just a joke.

I'm sure they have the capability to doctor those numbers. It might be an interesting story with the game being played up there and it being the 100th anniversary, but there is no way they'll let this happen. If nothing else, some random interns may end up sitting at a computer all day and voting for Vanek and Semin (hehe, Semin).

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody must have figured out a way to cheat the system because this problem happened in the NFL as well.

Check this out-

As of Nov. 19th-

Clinton Portis had a 51% lead on 2nd place Adrian Peterson, but Portis deserves it so whatever.

-FB Mike Sellers lead by 143%

-And rookie 7th-round draft choice Chris Horton had an unbelievable 206% lead over his next closest competitor at free safety.

-Punter Ryan Plackemeier, who was picked up in early October and heads the worst punting unit in the league, is winning

-Defensive end Andre Carter, who hasn't laid a hand on the quarterback in weeks, is second at his position.

lol

If Montreal has their entire line in the ASG, NHL will be the joke of the week of the All Star game.

Am I the only one here hoping and praying that the starting 5 + goalie are canadiens? A) It will completely make the NHL all star game a joke and B) nobody will give a rat's behind about any sabre. Remember all the props that campbell got for being an all star starter? None of our choads need that right now.

Am I the only one here hoping and praying that the starting 5 + goalie are canadiens? A) It will completely make the NHL all star game a joke and B) nobody will give a rat's behind about any sabre. Remember all the props that campbell got for being an all star starter? None of our choads need that right now.

No.

:chris:

So here's the guys not on the list but can still vote for tallies:

POMINVILLE, Jason 2343

RIVET, Craig 1466

MAIR, Adam 1107

SPACEK, Jaroslav 900

SEKERA, Andrej 727

LYDMAN, Toni 491

TALLINDER, Henrik 457

AFINOGENOV, Maxim 394

KALETA, Patrick 390

MACARTHUR, Clarke 281

GAUSTAD, Paul 211

CONNOLLY, Tim 184

HECHT, Jochen 153

KOTALIK, Ales 147

STAFFORD, Drew 113

PAETSCH, Nathan 99

PETERS, Andrew 95

PAILLE, Daniel 88

MANCARI, Mark 19

And, I guess there's some delay in tallies? If a computer is doing the work wouldn't U see an immediate increase in "real-time" vote count?

I vote for a guy 10 times and it never changes? WTF?

So the voting isn't broke. It's the fact that 99% of the bandwidth is being allocated to the Montreal area and the other 1% goes to the rest of the world.

I'd say it's split 50/50 between Detroit and Mo're all. Detroits got 3 forwards, 2 d and goalie in too.

• 3 weeks later...

Does ANYBODY outside of Moe-ray-all give a rat's rear end about the All-Star Game? (And if the game weren't in Moe-ray-all, would anyone there care either?)

The game hasn't had a single check thrown since '82 when Langway got hurt during the game.

Does ANYBODY outside of Moe-ray-all give a rat's rear end about the All-Star Game? (And if the game weren't in Moe-ray-all, would anyone there care either?)

The game hasn't had a single check thrown since '82 when Langway got hurt during the game.

Can U imagine Kaleta at the all star game? Riots I say, Riots.

Archived