Hecht to return ...

BetweenThePipes00

Extra motivation? Like, "All you have to do is score, don't worry about learing to play a complete game, and you get rewarded!" Not sure that's the message to send to him or others in the organ-eye-zation. Not to mention it's the polar opposite of the message they have been sending Vanek for 4 years. Why is Gerbe special?

:unsure: (Not saying anything ... interested in the response, though ... )

I see your point, but are we really expecting someone of Gerbe's physical stature to be anything than an offensive threat?

The only positive I can see with having him play in his own zone at all, is that Miller will be able to see any shots coming at him, if it's Gerbe standing in front of him, that's about it.

I don't think you can compare him with Vanek, as Vanek has the physical attributes to play basically any position on the ice, at any given time.

I'm not following Tampa much, so maybe someone can eloborate on whether St. Louis plays a defensive game as well?

And I don't mean to ridicule him, but what kind of player exactly are we looking to make him? Personally, I think making him a two-way forward is playing to his downside rather than his tremendous upside, but that's just my take on it.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't learn basic NHL defensive responsibilities, though.

I see your point, but are we really expecting someone of Gerbe's physical stature to be anything than an offensive threat?

The only positive I can see with having him play in his own zone at all, is that Miller will be able to see any shots coming at him, if it's Gerbe standing in front of him, that's about it.

I don't think you can compare him with Vanek, as Vanek has the physical attributes to play basically any position on the ice, at any given time.

I'm not following Tampa much, so maybe someone can eloborate on whether St. Louis plays a defensive game as well?

And I don't mean to ridicule him, but what kind of player exactly are we looking to make him? Personally, I think making him a two-way forward is playing to his downside rather than his tremendous upside, but that's just my take on it.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't learn basic NHL defensive responsibilities, though.

I'm not saying he has to win the Selke and be a defensive stopper, but he has to know his responsibility in his own end. It's not like they can say "Oh, you're small, just hang in the neutral zone and wait for the puck." Roy is a small guy too but he has broken up many passes into the slot this season alone by busting his ass getting back and being in the right place.

I'm not saying he has to win the Selke and be a defensive stopper, but he has to know his responsibility in his own end. It's not like they can say "Oh, you're small, just hang in the neutral zone and wait for the puck." Roy is a small guy too but he has broken up many passes into the slot this season alone by busting his ass getting back and being in the right place.

Danny Briere was small and I don't recall him being a two way forward either.

So if you are small you don't have to learn to play the system like everyone else? You just get promoted ASAP and go balls to the wall offense? It seems that's what you guys are suggesting and that doesn't sound like something Lindy Ruff would go for. Call me crazy.

That said, Drury was small too and - when he was here at least - one of the most complete centers in the game.

Gerbe is Theo Fleury small though, but yeah, I agree with Pipes saying that as long as he has a stick he should be able to put it in passing lanes as well as the next guy, just as long it doesn't mean his offensive game development will suffer to greatly because of it.

It will be interesting to follow, that's for sure.

I wanna see Gerbe in the blue and gold just as much as the next guy, but let's get our priorities straight. I say waive Ellis.. and bench Stafford. Max hasn't been bad, and if you consider his lack of production bad, then have a look at Staffords. Shootout's mean nothing.. so that puts him at what, 3 pts?

OK back to what we know instead of what we want ... http://wgr550.com/Rivet-rests--Connolly-practices/3270412 ...

The Skill was back at The Practice ... The Captain got the day off ... and The Jochen skated on the "5th" line with The Blind Haymaker and The Waiver Guy ... but the Hamilton is not buying that The Lindy plans to sit The Jochen again ...

sorry, got carried away ...

I still don't get why Gerbe would deserve a callup before Kennedy or Mancari.

I have no problem with Mancari being the 1st call-up. I don't remember anything special from his 3 game stint two years ago, but his start to the season in the AHL is certainly warranting being the 1st injury call-up.

I know there have been questions of Mancari being soft for such a big man and I believe he isn't really fleet of foot. What else are the negatives of his game?

Hard to believe he is only 23.

When thinking about Gerbe's size (funny jokes aside- I especially like him being able to travel in the overhead bin), seems like there are plenty of smaller players tearing it up these days. Brian Gionta is one that comes to my mind. St. Louis, Briere (who could be a more complete 2 way player if he was so inclined), etc.

From what I see, Gerbe is smaller than even Gionta (according the official stats which are usually inflated) but there should be no reason he can't flourish. Good though he's getting a year in the AHL - I'd be fine if he didn't get any NHL games or just a limited few - make him that much readier for next season. Afinogenov & Connolly are definitely gone & who knows about Kotalik so there should be some roster spots open.

OK back to what we know instead of what we want ... http://wgr550.com/Rivet-rests--Connolly-practices/3270412 ...

The Skill was back at The Practice ... The Captain got the day off ... and The Jochen skated on the "5th" line with The Blind Haymaker and The Waiver Guy ... but the Hamilton is not buying that The Lindy plans to sit The Jochen again ...

For some reason I am LMAO reading this post. It's a whole new lingo.

The Blind Haymaker. The Waiver Guy. The Jochen. Priceless!

GO SABRES!!!

I wanna see Gerbe in the blue and gold just as much as the next guy, but let's get our priorities straight. I say waive Ellis.. and bench Stafford. Max hasn't been bad, and if you consider his lack of production bad, then have a look at Staffords. Shootout's mean nothing.. so that puts him at what, 3 pts?

If benching Stafford is the plan, I'd much rather send him to the AHL. Ellis is marginal at best, but he's still an NHL body. At this point, if I can avoid losing an NHL body (even if the chance of him being claimed is very low), that's what I'm going to do. There will be injuries and I would like to have as much depth as possible.

I have no problem with Mancari being the 1st call-up. I don't remember anything special from his 3 game stint two years ago, but his start to the season in the AHL is certainly warranting being the 1st injury call-up.

I know there have been questions of Mancari being soft for such a big man and I believe he isn't really fleet of foot. What else are the negatives of his game?

Hard to believe he is only 23.

So much of what I hear lately is about the chemistry of this team and the makeup of the locker room. Not only has Mancari put up the best numbers, but he's been around this team 3 years now. He would probably fit into that locker room better, if not, much quicker than Kennedy or Gerbe. He might be the best move if they needed to make one.

But then again, who knows how people are playing if/when the need for a callup arrises.

:lol: :lol:

The problem i face with Stafford, is, unlike Max, he just lacks the effort. I don't really see much desire out of Stafford. It's like he plays for a paycheck and that's it. I do think a trip down to Portland would do wonders for him. Max, even though i agree he's struggling the most out of our forwards, but he's trying and giving 110%. You gotta think that's respected in the locker room. I'm not a big Max fan, but right now, only thing to separate Stafford and Max is Stafford's shootout ability, going 3 for 3 so far. However, Connolly could be that 3rd shooter. Kotalik, Connolly, Vanek.

One thing about Lindy Ruff, he won't tolerate players with no passion for their game. IMO, Stafford is a stiff on the ice. He has a ton of talent and even when he doesn't play at the top level, he still stands out but not enough.

I think Max survives yet another day in Buffalo. His hard effort will earn him a spot for a bit longer.

The problem i face with Stafford, is, unlike Max, he just lacks the effort. I don't really see much desire out of Stafford. It's like he plays for a paycheck and that's it. I do think a trip down to Portland would do wonders for him. Max, even though i agree he's struggling the most out of our forwards, but he's trying and giving 110%. You gotta think that's respected in the locker room. I'm not a big Max fan, but right now, only thing to separate Stafford and Max is Stafford's shootout ability, going 3 for 3 so far. However, Connolly could be that 3rd shooter. Kotalik, Connolly, Vanek.

One thing about Lindy Ruff, he won't tolerate players with no passion for their game. IMO, Stafford is a stiff on the ice. He has a ton of talent and even when he doesn't play at the top level, he still stands out but not enough.

I think Max survives yet another day in Buffalo. His hard effort will earn him a spot for a bit longer.

That's a great post, well put.

I obviously agree that if Stafford would play with some passion and more consistent, Max is the odd man out. But I don't see that right now, and decisions like this boil down to whats best for the team right now. Long term, Stafford is the answer and Max is gone, but for now, Stafford needs some "down" time just like Roy and Pommers did.

BTW, we DO NEED Hecht. Bottom line is he's a very solid two way who puts the puck on the net and creates chances. His experience doesn't hurt either.

Good post. I agree with you. As much as I would like to see Stafford snap out of it - or would it be come to his senses - I think he's sitting this next game. Max has been putting in the effort, without a doubt. As long as he doesn't have a bad turn-over night, but who can predict that?

Drew's issue is his attitude; he needs to grow up some more and appreciate the place he's at right now.

Very true. Gerbe is putting in a lot of goals, especially on the PP, but he still needs to work on his game away from the puck. Kennedy is definitely a more complete player at this point. I do find it a little ironic that somebody with an anti-B-rod avatar wants to rush a one-way player due solely to his offensive production.

I certainly hope that Gerbe has the desire to play in the defensive zone unlike B-rod. I'm sure it's this franchise's intention to make all players accountable defensively. For example Vanek.

I'm not saying bring Gerbe up permanently and over pay him. I'm just saying give the kid a taste. Actually, I like the idea if any kid is playing lights out in Portland they should be rewarded with some shifts with the Sabres. That would be a valuable usage of the shifts often skated by Peters or Ellis.

76 and 75 games played over the last two seasons. That's hardly "getting injured all the time".

This was brought up earlier. When Hecht went down my first reaction was "wow, Hecht is hurt again." Maybe it is because he was hurt early when he first joined the Sabres. I can see why others feel he is hurt a lot when it's just not the case.

This was brought up earlier. When Hecht went down my first reaction was "wow, Hecht is hurt again." Maybe it is because he was hurt early when he first joined the Sabres. I can see why others feel he is hurt a lot when it's just not the case.

He does seem to get hurt a decent amount, but they tend to be one or two game injuries. Obviously we'd rather have him full time, but I don't see that as a major injury issue.

Archived