Hecht to return ...

BetweenThePipes00

I assume this was not posted because it is not news when The Skill misses practice anymore .. http://wgr550.com/Connolly-hurt--Hecht-ready/3263243 ... sore groin, might not need to miss any game time ...

I was expecting this. He blocked a couple shots the other night. One IIRC was a slapper from the point that hit him mid-section.

Ruff doesn't expect him to miss Friday's game, and him sitting out practice was just a standard thing, like Mac missing practice last week.

Right, I guess judging by Ruff's commments on Timmy's earlier injuries that means he'll be back early December :wallbash:

This is just getting old.

Basing a roster decision on the shoot out instead of the 60-65 minutes of actual hockey is pure lunacy.

I wouldn't say it's pure lunacy. Stafford has been red hot in the shootouts and he is a better hitter than Max.

I'm still up for Max playing, though. He can create more scoring chances, which could prevent a shootout.

I wasn't going to get into it, so I won't go so far as "pure lunacy" ... but I have to say I strongly disagree with it as a reason to keep Stafford in the lineup.

Yeah, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but it is still a very flawed reason to keep a guy in the lineup.

Yeah, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but it is still a very flawed reason to keep a guy in the lineup.

As is often the case, it is a factor, but there are many other factors that are more important. If two players are otherwise similar, I'll take the one who money in shootouts verses the one that is not. However, I would take better skills in the first 65 minutes first, even if it means sitting the better SO guy. It's up to Lindy to decide how the rest of their skill sets compare, in terms of contribution, in order to know if their SO abilities are needed as a tie-breaker.

As similar illustrative example, Yanic Perreault is not a center on this team despite being a far better face-off performer than anyone on this team, perhaps in the league. Why? Because all of our centers beat him in terms of speed, passing, shooting, stickhandling, grit ... Faceoff ability is a factor, but it is outweighed by several others.

For the record, somethings gotta give. If Hecht is coming back they need to either:

Put Connolly on IR, so he's out 7 days

Put down Sekera, Stafford, or Kaleta. All of which don't have to clear waivers

Put down Paetsch or Ellis. Both of which have to clear waivers.

I'd guess if Connolly is back, then Stafford is down.

I wasn't going to get into it, so I won't go so far as "pure lunacy" ... but I have to say I strongly disagree with it as a reason to keep Stafford in the lineup.

Sit Max and Stafford and bring Gerbe up. If you need a roster spot send Max to Portland and hope someone picks him up.

If only teams could find a way to have Yanic take the faceoff and then immediately get off the ice. Every team would want him. I wish I could find that old chart of where he was good on the ice. That thing was hilarious.

Hire him as an assistant coach to teach our centers how to take faceoffs? Can that be taught? In his worst season in the last eight (don't have numbers for before that), he was 61.3%. Over those eight, he's a combined 62.7%!

Sit Max and Stafford and bring Gerbe up. If you need a roster spot send Max to Portland and hope someone picks him up.

Well, let's try to stay in the realm of possibility here ... you know they are not going to do that.

As I mentioned in the other Gerbe thread ... why rush him? The Sabres have been SO much better this season in their own and and away from the puck ... why bring in a kid who you KNOW is going to have growing pains in this area? If they go on a skid and need an offensive spark, maybe, but not now.

Well, let's try to stay in the realm of possibility here ... you know they are not going to do that.

As I mentioned in the other Gerbe thread ... why rush him? The Sabres have been SO much better this season in their own and and away from the puck ... why bring in a kid who you KNOW is going to have growing pains in this area? If they go on a skid and need an offensive spark, maybe, but not now.

The kid is hot right now. Give him a taste of the NHL as extra motivation. The call up doesn't have to been permanent.

Very true. Gerbe is putting in a lot of goals, especially on the PP, but he still needs to work on his game away from the puck. Kennedy is definitely a more complete player at this point. I do find it a little ironic that somebody with an anti-B-rod avatar wants to rush a one-way player due solely to his offensive production.

The kid is hot right now. Give him a taste of the NHL as extra motivation. The call up doesn't have to been permanent.

You'd have to sit Max, send down Stafford and Kaleta (or waive Ellis) to bring Gerbe up with Hecht coming back. I'd like to see Gerbe before the end of the season, but not now.

Extra motivation? Like, "All you have to do is score, don't worry about learing to play a complete game, and you get rewarded!" Not sure that's the message to send to him or others in the organ-eye-zation. Not to mention it's the polar opposite of the message they have been sending Vanek for 4 years. Why is Gerbe special?

I do find it a little ironic that somebody with an anti-B-rod avatar wants to rush a one-way player due solely to his offensive production.

:unsure: (Not saying anything ... interested in the response, though ... )

Archived