Craig Rivet...How big an impact will he make this year

frisky

It's halfway thorugh pre-season and Craig Rivet has played two games so far. I didn't see the second game but my indirect impression is that I think he and Teppo will have a pretty big impact on this still young team. I think the younger players like Gaustad, Roy, Pommer, etc. will continue to learn about leadership from someone like Rivet. I just like the way he talks.

?When we?re battling in front of the net, you hear a whistle there?s a few extra jabs and things happen. You just want to protect your goaltender.?

Holy poop-sticks. Maybe, the other D-men will take a page from his book and finally start sticking up for Miller. I also liked his comment in the video interview where he confidently said that things would get cleaned pretty quick. Not the kind of wishy washy answer of we have to work on it, get better, yada yada. Just sounded like it would get done.

I'm also glad he's signed for a couple more years.

Anyways, anyone else have impressions of him. Especially those who've been able to see him play yesterday?

?When we?re battling in front of the net, you hear a whistle there?s a few extra jabs and things happen. You just want to protect your goaltender.?

If you watch the video, the rest of the Sabres on the ice were looking at Rivet like he was crazy. The whole dropping the gloves idea hadn't really dawned on them I guess.

Holy poop-sticks. Maybe, the other D-men will take a page from his book and finally start sticking up for Miller. I also liked his comment in the video interview where he confidently said that things would get cleaned pretty quick. Not the kind of wishy washy answer of we have to work on it, get better, yada yada. Just sounded like it would get done.

The blueliners who are pussies aren't going to change just because of Rivet. That is why it is important for Weber to make the full-time jump to the NHL ASAP.

The blueliners who are pussies aren't going to change just because of Rivet. That is why it is important for Weber to make the full-time jump to the NHL ASAP.

Don't worry, Tallinder will breakdown or God forbid, Teppo's health becomes an issue; we will see Big Mike before you know it.

Don't worry, Tallinder will breakdown or God forbid, Teppo's health becomes an issue; we will see Big Mike before you know it.

You know, when we signed Teppo, a lot of people said that Weber will be up when Teppo goes out. At this point, I'd say it's more likely that Mike will be filling in for Hank or Toni, and I don't think that's bad for the team. I'd rather see Teppo and Mike in the lineup than either one of those other two (especially Hank with the way he's been, for lack of a better word, playing.)

You know, when we signed Teppo, a lot of people said that Weber will be up when Teppo goes out. At this point, I'd say it's more likely that Mike will be filling in for Hank or Toni, and I don't think that's bad for the team. I'd rather see Teppo and Mike in the lineup than either one of those other two (especially Hank with the way he's been, for lack of a better word, playing.)

Boom Boom Boom.....

Weber shouldn't be a "fill in". He is good enough to be in the lineup on opening day and should be. Donte Whitner is being hailed as hero for his late hit in the Raider game. The toughness and willingness to send a message to the opposing is important. That is something Weber brings to the game. It is something the Sabres need desperately.

Weber for Toni is a nobrainer.. You remove the multiple giveaways a game and add about 5 solid checks...The only thing you might lose is 1 or 2 offensive rushes a week...

Didn't Weber lead in hits the last game? Bye Bye Paetsch, posh, pooch, whatever your name is. (Chz crosses fingers)

Didn't Weber lead in hits the last game? Bye Bye Paetsch, posh, pooch, whatever your name is. (Chz crosses fingers)

Still don't understand the hate for a guy who does a pretty good job playing his role. Paetsch is the no.7, a reliable fill-in who will spend half the season in the press box. He's not going to be the guy who keeps Weber, Myers, anyone out of the top-6.

While i agree, i am not sure if that's possible unless we bench Teppo which i don't see. We need guys to bring the puck up in a hurry and Sekera is the best at it right now, with Spacek. One of Lydman or Tallinder i think needs to be dealt, then bring in Weber to this lineup. If they can get an asset for one of those two, that would be great, because we could fill that void with Weber.

Still don't understand the hate for a guy who does a pretty good job playing his role. Paetsch is the no.7, a reliable fill-in who will spend half the season in the press box. He's not going to be the guy who keeps Weber, Myers, anyone out of the top-6.

I won't give you a double thumbs up like blue, but yeah, dead on. When someone gets hurt, a multi-game injury, not just a last second scratch, Weber is called up and inserted into the starting lineup ahead of Paetsch. The team saves money by keeping Weber down there, all while getting him the non-pressbox experience he needs.

I won't give you a double thumbs up like blue, but yeah, dead on. When someone gets hurt, a multi-game injury, not just a last second scratch, Weber is called up and inserted into the starting lineup ahead of Paetsch. The team saves money by keeping Weber down there, all while getting him the non-pressbox experience he needs.

Bingo. Weber gets the on-ice experience he needs until he forces the team's hand and makes them find a spot in the top-6. Paetsch can fill in as needed for the bumps and bruises that keep guys out of the lineup for one or two games, and gives Lindy a little versatility with another body that can be used up front in a pinch.

I'm not dissin' Paetsch, just I don't see Paetsch being number 7. (or maybe our definition of #7 is different) That's Weber. As we've debated before (maybe not you) is it better to have Weber in Portland so he plays and leave Paetsch as the quicky or no? Weber can't sit like Pratt did, he needs more gametime. I don't see Myers an issue for a few years.

I'm not dissin' Paetsch, just I don't see Paetsch being number 7. (or maybe our definition of #7 is different) That's Weber. As we've debated before (maybe not you) is it better to have Weber in Portland so he plays and leave Paetsch as the quicky or no? Weber can't sit like Pratt did, he needs more gametime. I don't see Myers an issue for a few years.

WRT Weber: he is NOT the no.7. He's either top-6 or he's in Portland.

The way to look at it is this: you have your top-6, followed by a journeyman-type no.7 who isn't going to be a regular top-6 guy. The no.7 guy isn't necessarily the top defenseman who is not a top-6 guy.

Weber would be top of the depth chart of the prospects/guys in the minors. If he is not on the ice as a top-6 in Buffalo then he needs to be in Portland on the ice.

Since you wouldn't diss Paetsch, i will. The guy is horrible. He's never going to be a PP QB. He's average in his own zone, loses the puck, doesn't even have good vision skating up the rink. I think he stays on the roster, in case something happens to Sekera or Spacek, we'll need SOMEONE to be able to move the puck, even though he's not that good at it. Our offense is build for the defense to bring the puck up quickly. We ain't going anywhere fast if our defense is missing a Sekera/Spacek and Weber is in to fill the void.

The way to look at it is this: you have your top-6, followed by a journeyman-type no.7 who isn't going to be a regular top-6 guy. The no.7 guy isn't necessarily the top defenseman who is not a top-6 guy.

Weber would be top of the depth chart of the prospects/guys in the minors. If he is not on the ice as a top-6 in Buffalo then he needs to be in Portland on the ice.

Definetly. Weber will play full time minutes in Portland and Paetsch will sit. Weber has a future and needs every second of time he can get, Paetsch is just a band-aid player and can sit and play once in a great while. He won't last long. It's only a matter of time before Regier finds another puck moving d-men and moves Lydman or Tallinder.

So top 6 is in.

if 7 then 8 or 9.

if 7 then top six minus broken 'something'.

if 8 on ice.

if 7 off ice.

if 8 goes 6 then 7 still 7.

and 8>7 when D<6.

Gotcha?

So top 6 is in.

if 7 then 8 or 9.

if 7 then top six minus broken 'something'.

if 8 on ice.

if 7 off ice.

if 8 goes 6 then 7 still 7.

and 8>7 when D<6.

Gotcha?

:blink:

This is why I moved away from math-based majors.

The answer is 2.

Actually the answer is 42.

Weber for Toni is a nobrainer.. You remove the multiple giveaways a game and add about 5 solid checks...The only thing you might lose is 1 or 2 offensive rushes a week...

I could see that.

Bingo. Weber gets the on-ice experience he needs until he forces the team's hand and makes them find a spot in the top-6. Paetsch can fill in as needed for the bumps and bruises that keep guys out of the lineup for one or two games, and gives Lindy a little versatility with another body that can be used up front in a pinch.

Makes sense to me and I would not be surprised to see Lindy even pull up Meyers for a couple of games like he did with Weber last year.

Archived