GDT 9/22/2008 7:30PM

Knightrider

Gogulla - I know he scored but i don't really care. He scored last year in pre-season too and that was nice. But his off the puck play is still the same. This guy needs to be told to play in Portland and leave Germany. It's like the kid didn't learn a thing. Who cares if he keeps scoring goals in Germany? He has great hands and a good taste for the goal, but he's very weak off the puck. Loses alot of pucks and everyone man powers him. Get to know Dineen and he may be a good NHLer one day like i had hoped when we drafted him.

I am sick of this nonsense where the Sabres sign a player to a contract and then they don't come over(Persson & Gogulla; there may be others). Get your over here and get accustomed to the NA style of hockey. Not to sound like Don Cherry but screw the primadonna Euros who don't want to come across the pond.

Isn't the half Sabres, half prospects lineup SOP for preseason? Someone correct me if I am wrong but from what I can remember, this is how it's always been.

Yes, numbers-wise it was a pretty standard mix, but when you look at who was there, it wasn't really half of our NHL team.

NHLers: Miller, Hecht, Paille, Stafford, Kotalik, Spacek, Tallinder, Sekera, Paetsch, Kaleta, Peters and, if you count him, Weber.

That's no Pominville, Roy, Vanek, Connolly, Gaustad, Mair, Max, Rivet, Numminen, Lydman. So, our three top players in goals, assists (top four here with Timmy) and point from last year weren't there, not to mention Max and Timmy, who are offensive threats when healthy. All four of our starting centers weren't there. Two players (Roy and Pommer) that get more ice time in more situations than any other players weren't there.

In addition, many of our top prospects (except Enroth), who aren't on their last chance before becoming career AHLers (Mancari, Zagrapan, etc.), weren't there. Tonight, we have the potential to put together (with just a few carry-overs from last night) an all-star lineup by comparison.

In addition, many of our top prospects (except Enroth), who aren't on their last chance before becoming career AHLers (Mancari, Zagrapan, etc.), weren't there. Tonight, we have the potential to put together (with just a few carry-overs from last night) an all-star lineup by comparison.

Zags still has a year.

I'm surprised to hear that. It seems like he has been sucking in the AHL forever.

I don't think he's been sucking. He goes on streaks. He definetly has his weaknesses. This summer i heard he's been getting alot of help from some vets and in last week's pre-camp at the Pepsi Center i heard he was the first player on the ice and the last off. I think he's realized he must make the NHL at some point this year or he'll probably never make it. I think this is his last year in the AHL. If he doesn't make the Sabres at some point, i think he will go over seas next season and quit his NHL/Stanley Cup dream.

But like i said last night, he looked solid last night. And i know i am getting WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of myself, but his "potential" is a best case senerio center for Vanek. A pass first player with great vision.

A pass first player with great vision.

Doesn't that also describe Timmy?

Maybe our top lines should be:

Hecht-Roy-Pommer

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford/Max

Oooooo ... that first line would be a hard line to score against, but boy could they burn you with a quick transition.

Isn't the half Sabres, half prospects lineup SOP for preseason? Someone correct me if I am wrong but from what I can remember, this is how it's always been.

Yeah, but, last night the prospects were all bums. Card is a ECHL player. Hunter is horrible. Mancari is the biggest hockey player i've ever seen to be such a wuss, even Pyatt. Mancari doesn't hit anyone and when he does, the player barley moves. Brock is a career AHLer and not even a scorer. He's more of a Gaustad, AHL version.

On top of that, we had Kaleta and Peters. I love Kaleta, but neither of these guys was in the game to score any goals, if you know what i mean.

I wish last night's game would have featured someone better then Card, like Chris Butler. With such a weak offense, we should have build a better defense. And Marc-Andre Gragnani is a player i really want to see play. Guy is unreal ever since he was moved to forward. But players like Kennedy, Gerbe or even Felix Schutz would have been an upgrade on any of those those forwards i listed last night, and would still be prospects in the game.

But i'm not here to judge Lindy. lol I'm sure he knows what hes doing.

Doesn't that also describe Timmy?

Maybe our top lines should be:

Hecht-Roy-Pommer

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford/Max

Oooooo ... that first line would be a hard line to score against, but boy could they burn you with a quick transition.

Yeah, but i always thought Connolly was too smart/creative for Vanek. lol

I think Vanek needs to just keep it simple. Connolly would confuse the crap out of him. haha

One thing is for sure, i don't think Roy and Vanek should be linemates.

With back-to-back games, I'm sure he wanted to see what the good prospects could do with real teammates, so he underloaded one game and overloaded the other.

Totally. He had to have a gameplan. There's a reason why he's coaching this team and i drink beer and watch games! lol

I just love talking hockey. haha

I don't think he's been sucking. He goes on streaks. He definetly has his weaknesses. This summer i heard he's been getting alot of help from some vets and in last week's pre-camp at the Pepsi Center i heard he was the first player on the ice and the last off. I think he's realized he must make the NHL at some point this year or he'll probably never make it. I think this is his last year in the AHL. If he doesn't make the Sabres at some point, i think he will go over seas next season and quit his NHL/Stanley Cup dream.

But like i said last night, he looked solid last night. And i know i am getting WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of myself, but his "potential" is a best case senerio center for Vanek. A pass first player with great vision.

Yeah, but, last night the prospects were all bums. Card is a ECHL player. Hunter is horrible. Mancari is the biggest hockey player i've ever seen to be such a wuss, even Pyatt. Mancari doesn't hit anyone and when he does, the player barley moves. Brock is a career AHLer and not even a scorer. He's more of a Gaustad, AHL version.

On top of that, we had Kaleta and Peters. I love Kaleta, but neither of these guys was in the game to score any goals, if you know what i mean.

I wish last night's game would have featured someone better then Card, like Chris Butler. With such a weak offense, we should have build a better defense. And Marc-Andre Gragnani is a player i really want to see play. Guy is unreal ever since he was moved to forward. But players like Kennedy, Gerbe or even Felix Schutz would have been an upgrade on any of those those forwards i listed last night, and would still be prospects in the game.

But i'm not here to judge Lindy. lol I'm sure he knows what hes doing.

I am enjoying the dichotomy of these posts.

I am enjoying the dichotomy of these posts.

Well, in his defense, he never mentioned Zagrapan specifically in the second post and Zags playing well would not be sufficient to make the general intent of the second post wrong; there were a ton of AHL bums out there. He should have thrown an "(except Zagrapan)" after "the prospects" or at least an "almost all of" before it.

Well, in his defense, he never mentioned Zagrapan specifically in the second post and Zags playing well would not be sufficient to make the general intent of the second post wrong; there were a ton of AHL bums out there. He should have thrown a "(except Zagrapan)" after "the prospects" or at least an "almost all of" before it.

You're right. I didn't mean Zags or MacArthur.

Sorry.

Archived