GDT 9/22/2008 7:30PM

Knightrider

Tallinder looks like a weak link tonight. Giveaways, losing his stick on the PK...

Wake up Enroth this is the NHL, you can't give up on the play!

I thought Enroth gave up too, but on the overhead replay it looks like he almost had it. Nevertheless, Enroth is moving like he's playing in hummus. Too much equipment???

Sabres lose. Zagrapan with one goal, two assists. no max, no roy, no Pomminstein, no vanek, no lydman, no numminen, no connolly, no rivet, and still lose by one (empty netter 7-4) I feel okay.

Yea, im not concerned since they had their top two lines vs. hecht, stafford, paille and macarthur.

Tomorrow, we should have more of our stars, plus more of our key prospects. There were an awful lot of career AHLers out there tonight. We didn't have a single starting NHL center (no Roy, Connolly, Gaustad or Mair) and, no, I don't count Hecht as one, though he did have 80% FO wins tonight (at least according to NHL.com, though they also gave Hunter a -5 and near as I can tell, he wasn't on the ice for a single EV or SH goal against.)

In my opinion, here are some thoughts.

Plus-

Zagrapan. He looked great tonight. I thought he was the best player on the ice. His vision was better then what we have been used to and he's supposedly been asking for alot of help from several vets and been the first guy on the ice and last guy on the ice. It showed today. He was awesome. I don't care who he was playing against but credit goes to his good game.

Weber - Also looked great. Out of all the defensemen (defensively) he looked by far the best. He was rock solid. It looked like he was a 10 year NHL vet and no way was anyone going to get anything on this kid.

Stafford - Atleast in the first period, he looked like a guy who is fighting for a job. Which, he should be with the poor season he had, but we all know he'll be there October 10th. He was quick, he was smart and went to the net. I wish he would have scored that goal right after the faceoff where he was fouled. But oh well.

Negatives-

Enroth - They went after him and it was clear his size was a huge factor today. I know it's only his first game in North America, but i expected a bit more of a fight from a guy who once said he could be starting in the NHL in 2008. He was nailed and he allowed some goals because of it. He'll play in Portland for a few seasons thats for sure. And rightfully so, we have Lalime as a backup for 2 seasons. At the time of his signing, a few people on forums said "what if Enroth will be ready?".... another solid move by Regier, Enroth will be in AHL start of the 2009/10 season.

Gogulla - I know he scored but i don't really care. He scored last year in pre-season too and that was nice. But his off the puck play is still the same. This guy needs to be told to play in Portland and leave Germany. It's like the kid didn't learn a thing. Who cares if he keeps scoring goals in Germany? He has great hands and a good taste for the goal, but he's very weak off the puck. Loses alot of pucks and everyone man powers him. Get to know Dineen and he may be a good NHLer one day like i had hoped when we drafted him.

Paetsch - Poor game. I don't think he touched the puck once against Toronto's top 2 lines. For a guy who is fighting for his NHL life, i expected a bit more. Lindy Ruff said him and Weber would play each game as both are fighting for a spot with the team, and IMO he's way behind already. Out of the 6 d-men, including Mike Card, he played the least. Sabres offense could have really used a extra boost from him coming up the ice, but got nothing.

Poor lineup - As someone mentioned, we saw ALOT of AHLers in this game. Hunter, Mancari, Bouck and Card. Heck, Card isn't even good enough for the AHL, he should be in the ECHL. Wish we had seen a few more "prospects" like Kennedy, Gragnani, Gerbe or Butler in this game. The poor offensive lineup included guys like Peters and Kaleta as well. It was a no hope offense.

BTW, i watched this game on justin.tv, which is GREAT to see Sabres on it. The guy who ran the web site says Sabres/Leafs will be seen live on Saturday as well. I've been watching justin.tv for 2 years now (soccer games from all over the planet) but mostly i watch the Polish soccer league and watching the Olympics on that site this past summer. Great web site, and watching Sabres on it made me really happy. lol.

Nice insightfull post here Vanek-man.

Agreed on most of the above. But no mention of Tallider not even showing up?

That doesn't bode well for the confidence factor. Granted they had a half of squad of AHLers.

If they would have won the would the glass still be half empty?

on a side note I am feeling that I will have to get the center ice package. Justin tv and p2p is fine and all but

my ass gets sore sitting on the is hard chair all game and watching that fuzzy feed.

VM: nice summary.

What was your take on Mancari? I had mixed feelings - sometimes he looked like he was fighting and sometimes ... meh.

Zagrapan looked good enough that I hope he gets more time during the preseason. We need another center and there aren't too many prospects that are even close to ready (though, correct me if I'm wrong, but Gerbe can play center, even though he's listed as a winger, right?) If there's even the slightest chance that Zags has progressed, we need to give him the chance to show it.

Edit: it looks like Montreal might have done the same thing we did (played more scrubs tonight, saving their better guys for tomorrow.) At least I hope they did for their sake, as they got beaten worse than we did: 8-3 by Boston.

As soon as I saw the lineup posted of who was/wasn't playing, I went immediately over to the Favre Monday night ball wash and funeral..

I have zero interest in watching minor league hockey staged in the NHL. Hopefully, the real Sabres and their top prospects will play in the next game..

On the positive side, no one could complain about the newbie Rivet... :rolleyes:

Granted they had a half of squad of AHLers.
Edit: it looks like Montreal might have done the same thing we did (played more scrubs tonight, saving their better guys for tomorrow.) At least I hope they did for their sake, as they got beaten worse than we did: 8-3 by Boston.
As soon as I saw the lineup posted of who was/wasn't playing, I went immediately over to the Favre Monday night ball wash and funeral..

I have zero interest in watching minor league hockey staged in the NHL. Hopefully, the real Sabres and their top prospects will play in the next game..

On the positive side, no one could complain about the newbie Rivet... :rolleyes:

Isn't the half Sabres, half prospects lineup SOP for preseason? Someone correct me if I am wrong but from what I can remember, this is how it's always been.

Archived