Sabres get Zero games on NBC

Two or less

Good. Now if only we could get rid of VS. too...

Gary doesn't seem to think so (at least, that's what he's been on the record as saying...).

I had to think about that for a second when you said "VS," but then I realized that you meant Vs. I see what you mean...

Well, I'll be the contrarian about this one. I think national TV games are good for the franchise, and maybe, ever so slightly, for the city. I think a good percentage of the players league-wide watch the national TV games. If they see the Sabres on TV frequently, playing a wide-open, entertaining style, and winning, and interviews with guys like Miller and Pommer looking psyched and happy, it helps dispel the negative perception of the franchise among the players league-wide. Maybe over time it helps the Sabres become known as a desirable destination, instead of NHL Siberia.

Well, I'll be the contrarian about this one. I think national TV games are good for the franchise, and maybe, ever so slightly, for the city. I think a good percentage of the players league-wide watch the national TV games. If they see the Sabres on TV frequently, playing a wide-open, entertaining style, and winning, and interviews with guys like Miller and Pommer looking psyched and happy, it helps dispel the negative perception of the franchise among the players league-wide. Maybe over time it helps the Sabres become known as a desirable destination, instead of NHL Siberia.

Yep. And NBC >>>>>>>>>>> Vs.

I agree that being on national TV does nothing to hurt the team or the city. The reason I am happy that NBC didn't choose any Sabres games is, at least in other sports, when a network choses which teams to show based off last year's results it invariably misses the up and comers and instead shows the entrenched guard and the pretenders that either can't carry over last year's success or are suddenly "hot" simply because they added a player or 2 "that we've heard of."

How many times has MNF had absolute stinker games through the years? How many times are the friggin' Cleveland Browns on national TV this year? Those guys look VERY bad right now and the national media are going to be creating a season-long scrap book celebrating :huh: it.

I think the Sabres will have a solid team this year (though I would still like to see one more center on the roster), the fact that NBC DOESN'T expect the Sabres to be solid only reassures me.

I might just be ornery today, but I'll disagree a bit with this too. I don't really mind the VS coverage. Certainly I'd prefer an HD showing by MSG, CBC or TSN to the VS coverage, but if MSG isn't showing the game in HD (i.e. EVERY road game), I'm happy to get an HD showing on VS. I also think their play-by-play and color guys are decent-to-good and that their overall production has gotten steadily better over time to the point where it's actually pretty solid. And they don't bail on a game before it's over, like NBC does. Finally, I think a decent percentage of the NHL players watch the VS national games.

Having said that, one thing that VS did way too often last year was have some kind of graphic up during the play that actually obstructed the view of the action. That is completely unacceptable. It's not just VS, though -- CBS did that during a play in the Bills game last Sunday, and it blocked the view of the Bills' CB making a critical 3rd-down tackle.

I 100% disagree.

NBC's audio is just plain godawful. One of the biggest media companies on the planet, and their audio guys can't even stop the pumping and breathing from the compressor/limiters. It's pathetic. Boys, that threshold setting is there for a reason!

Crowd roars? Can't hear anything.

Puck hits the boards or a pipe? Can't hear anything.

And besides the audio, if a playoff game doesn't finish within regulation, NBC's bound to cut to a rerun of Friends or some #%^$#!.

Verus is better than NBC? Are we forgetting about the period-long interviews, ignoring the play on the ice, odd camera angles, the humongous pop-up ads for bull riding and the next NHL on Versus contest, awful play-by-play guys, constant ball-washing of Crosby and Ovechkin...they've had the contract for how long, and in disagreement with n's post, I haven't seen them come close to improving their broadcast to an acceptable standard yet.

It's not even close, IMO. I'd rather have 8 games on NBC and none on Versus.

I'll take ANY broadcast that's in HD. Announcers, graphics, interviews, bias or other I could care less about.

I actually like hearing other teams feeds/announcers occassionally. As long as they call THE game, I don't care what their bias is. I guess I'm more use to it. I was always selecting the HD feed last year over the non-HD Sabres broadcast.

• 2 weeks later...
I 100% disagree.

NBC's audio is just plain godawful. One of the biggest media companies on the planet, and their audio guys can't even stop the pumping and breathing from the compressor/limiters. It's pathetic. Boys, that threshold setting is there for a reason!

Crowd roars? Can't hear anything.

Puck hits the boards or a pipe? Can't hear anything.

And besides the audio, if a playoff game doesn't finish within regulation, NBC's bound to cut to a rerun of Friends or some #%^$#!.

...which we all know happened a couple of seasons ago during the Sabres/Sens ECF final game. NBC thought that horse racing was much more important. The howls of protest were so loud that I did not hear one word of support toward NBC for what they did.

Oddly enough, my wife and I were heading to Dead Lobster in Lynchburg (sorry, I couldn't resist) at the time the game was taking place. I caught up with the final results on XM at the time, so I was spared the rage and anger that many diehard hockey fans felt from NBC's pre-emptive strike.

But if it happens again... :angry:

Archived