Sabres Fans ranked 9th in NHL

bleedblueandgold

Sabres fans ranked 9th best in the league.......

http://mvn.com/nhl-wild/2008/08/27/the-bes...nhl-the-top-10/

Considering that we are ranked as a small market franchise, that is something to boast about. Even the Hurricanes with Rod Brenda Moore (sorry, I couldn't resist), two years removed from receiving the Cup, came in at #25 out of 30.

Yeah, but wtf is Derek Felska? Probably a nobody. This is probably nothing more then just a regular blogger.

Precisely.

His banner ads make me want to puke. You guys have rightly gotten on to me for being political (and partly why I've removed references to them), but I guess it's par for the course for a public school teacher.

This is one of those times when I actually wish it was Eklund writing that column, not this amateur pretending to be an expert.

Wait a minute! Did I actually have something nice to say about Eklund this time? I think I need to have my head examined... :D

Considering that we are ranked as a small market franchise, that is something to boast about. Even the Hurricanes with Rod Brenda Moore (sorry, I couldn't resist), two years removed from receiving the Cup, came in at #25 out of 30.

Hurricane fans are pretty pathetic. They couldn't even sell out playoff games.

So what? There have been many Sabres home playoff games over the years that didn't sell out, most recently in 2001. At least 10 postseasons in franchise history, the Sabres failed to sell out every home game.

So what? There have been many Sabres home playoff games over the years that didn't sell out, most recently in 2001. At least 10 postseasons in franchise history, the Sabres failed to sell out every home game.

The Hurricanes had thousands of empty seats for a Game 7 for the right to go to the SCF. How they even have a team is a mystery to me.

Agreed, though now I see a bunch of "New" Sabre Fans popping up left and right... I feel like interest in the team has really shot up since then.

Though at the same time you could get Eastern Conference Finals tickets in Carolina, they were freaking hard to get in buffalo. We atleast sell out the big games, Carolina didn't come close

The one thing that has always stood out as proof of great fans to me, even more than what wjag said, was during the October storm. Power out everywhere and people still made it to the Arena; people with generators bringing neighbors to thier garages to watch the Sabres; the cheers you could here from people in a power dead neighborhood listening to the game on battery run radios. in my opinion Buffalo has the truely BEST fans in hockey, hands down.

I'd put us at 6th or 7th overall. The Rags, Wild and Canucks. The Rags may not have the success, but they have the hype to sell tickets. The Wild's fan online is not impressive, either. The Canucks and the Sabres are pretty similar. Vanc has a worse record, but the Buffalo almost lost their team...

I don't even think that Brenda'Moore could have brought his whole Facebook and MySpace fans to fill the RBC Center. We Sabres fans, including TG, had to help them out in that regards. :nana:

The Hurricanes had thousands of empty seats for a Game 7 for the right to go to the SCF. How they even have a team is a mystery to me.

Game 7, sold out. Attendance: 18,730 (100.0% full)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=260601007

Not sure why anyone would bash a non traditional market for not having as big a fan base as a traditional hockey town like Buffalo. He//, I'd be happy to see a NHL team in Hawaii.

Not sure why anyone would bash a non traditional market for not having as big a fan base as a traditional hockey town like Buffalo. He//, I'd be happy to see a NHL team in Hawaii.

I have to agree with you here somewhat. For what it is, the Canes have managed a decent product and do have a loyal (though smallish) fanbase. Given the resources, Rutherford does a hell of a job as GM of that team

Besides that, Raleigh is a great place for visiting fans to rape and pillage. :chris:

Provided they actually sold their tix and didn't end up creating more image problems w/ the league AND some traditional hockey hotbeds that currently DON'T have teams had them (and my Sabres aren't out) then I'd have no problem w/ it.

I think the reason people here bash the particular market you refer to has a little something to do w/ some hysterical cries about Sabres' fans raping, pillaging, raping, murdering, raping, vandalizing, and baby raping back in May of '06. Several people that post on this board were at the games and to say the reports were exaggerated don't do justice to the term "exaggerate".

Throw on the fact that according to posts on Caniac boards this past spring that there were actually people happier to see the Sabres miss the playoffs than they would have been to see their beloved Canes make them, gives some people here a bit of satisfaction to see the Carolinas remain a NASCAR nation. There were a few other reasons that don't help the Caniac cause. Example: There was actually 1 idiot Cane fan that shortly after Carolina beat Edmonton that went to a Bills board to post how psyched he was that the Sabres had lost to the Canes and how horrible Lindy Ruff was. I can guarantee you, my 1st reaction after Buffalo wins the Stanley Cup will not be "take that Phlyers".

Between the Sabres' coaching staff and fans being demonized and the way the Sabres lost in the Semis in '06 (less than 20 minutes away from winning the series without 4 of their top 6 D and their top playoff forward that season going against a team that dressed the same roster every single playoff game until Game 6 of the Finals), there are several reasons that some Sabres' fans have been left w/ a bad taste regarding your market.

Personally, I think it would actually be a good thing for the NHL to expand its popularity into non-traditional markets; especially those that it has already entered.

FWIW, I'm impressed that you thought to come by here in August. :thumbsup: I think the bashing has more to do with the scarcity of tix in Buffalo during the ECF compared to down there. That, and you guys advanced.

Touche. I didn't have any facts to back it up, but I seem to remember alot of people giving the Canes heat for having empty seats. Who knows.

1. What about all of the other playoff games that year? Some of our fans made the long trek down to Raleigh (unless, of course, there were Sabres fans living there already).

2. A hockey franchise in Hawaii? I know that one of the guys in the Miracle movie had a University of Hawaii hockey team shirt on, but that was full-blown facetiousness. I think there's a much better chance of this sport being played in Hawaii than hockey. In fact, I think that Yellowknife could probably support an NHL franchise better than Honolulu.

Provided they actually sold their tix and didn't end up creating more image problems w/ the league AND some traditional hockey hotbeds that currently DON'T have teams had them (and my Sabres aren't out) then I'd have no problem w/ it.

I think the reason people here bash the particular market you refer to has a little something to do w/ some hysterical cries about Sabres' fans raping, pillaging, raping, murdering, raping, vandalizing, and baby raping back in May of '06. Several people that post on this board were at the games and to say the reports were exaggerated don't do justice to the term "exaggerate".

Throw on the fact that according to posts on Caniac boards this past spring that there were actually people happier to see the Sabres miss the playoffs than they would have been to see their beloved Canes make them, gives some people here a bit of satisfaction to see the Carolinas remain a NASCAR nation. There were a few other reasons that don't help the Caniac cause. Example: There was actually 1 idiot Cane fan that shortly after Carolina beat Edmonton that went to a Bills board to post how psyched he was that the Sabres had lost to the Canes and how horrible Lindy Ruff was. I can guarantee you, my 1st reaction after Buffalo wins the Stanley Cup will not be "take that Phlyers".

Between the Sabres' coaching staff and fans being demonized and the way the Sabres lost in the Semis in '06 (less than 20 minutes away from winning the series without 4 of their top 6 D and their top playoff forward that season going against a team that dressed the same roster every single playoff game until Game 6 of the Finals), there are several reasons that some Sabres' fans have been left w/ a bad taste regarding your market.

Personally, I think it would actually be a good thing for the NHL to expand its popularity into non-traditional markets; especially those that it has already entered.

InRodWeTrust, you might want to take note of this. After all, with all of the prevaricators you have down there in Raleigh, it would be good to have the tables turned.

Archived