[OT] Phelps Ties Spitz

Taro T

One one hundreth of a second. Ridicuolous. The other guy has the race one until he decides to glide into the wall. Nothing against Phelps or his great accomplishment, but I see this one as the other guy losing the race instead of Phelps winning it. Still one hell of a finish though.

One one hundreth of a second. Ridicuolous. The other guy has the race one until he decides to glide into the wall. Nothing against Phelps or his great accomplishment, but I see this one as the other guy losing the race instead of Phelps winning it. Still one hell of a finish though.

If the Ruskie D doesn't stop playing at the end of the 1st, or if Mark Johnson does stop, Tretiak never gets pulled.

Sometimes the great moments are just destined to happen.

The guy in the white cap is going to have nightmares for years over this. He was that "" close to being the one to beat him.

The shot of Phelps' mother was priceless. I made my kids stop what they were doing and come watch the race. They were asking why. I said simply you are probably witnessing something at six and 10 years old that you may never, ever again see in your lifetime. That was history and it was cool. I remember watching Spitz do it. Now, can three other guys secure their legs for the record? He's obviously tired, just an OR tonight... :thumbsup:

I'd like to also say after countless years of NBC televising the Olympics, they finally got it right this year. It's great seeing stuff live. No packaging of obscure athetes like they have done in the past. This is drama playing out everywhere...

He's obviously tired, just an OR tonight... :thumbsup:

I know you were joking, but on a serious note, I believe that was one of (the only?) individual race where he wasn't trying to beat his own world record. That was still a personal best time; to do that in the other races, he had to set a new WR. :thumbsup:

I am blown away by 10,000 calories a day!!! The swimming is pretty good too!

Not to nitpick, but it seems it's actually closer to 12,000 a day.

Phelps' diet - which involves ingesting 4,000 calories every time he sits down for a meal - resembles that of a reckless overeater rather than an Olympian.

Phelps lends a new spin to the phrase "Breakfast of Champions" by starting off his day by eating three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

He follows that up with two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

At lunch, Phelps gobbles up a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

For dinner, Phelps really loads up on the carbs - what he needs to give him plenty of energy for his five-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week regimen - with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza.

He washes all that down with another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

It didn't look like he was "gliding" into the wall. Depending on where you are at the end of the race, sometimes it's quicker to just stretch for the wall than it is to take another stroke.

It didn't look like he was "gliding" into the wall. Depending on where you are at the end of the race, sometimes it's quicker to just stretch for the wall than it is to take another stroke.

That is correct. That guy swam the last 10 feet like he was supposed to. In his case, that's a textbook example that gliding into the wall is faster than taking another stroke, if you are able to completely disregard what phelps did.

Phelps on the other hand, he did what you're NOT supposed to do. He took another stroke within an arm's lenth of the wall. That's a textbook example of what not to do. Phelps looses that race 999 out of 1000 times if the same scenario plays out. Fortunately, history proves that the greatest ever finds a way to win time and time again. Pick any great athelete from any sport and they all make ridiculous plays to find a way to win. Hell, there's a reason why Drury scored that goal with 7.7 seconds to go rather than kalinin. Some guys just find a way to get it done, no matter what. This is the case for phelps. He broke the traditional rules to win. But to get back to the original point, that serbian guy did the right thing and phelps did the WRONG thing, however, since phelps is without a doubt the greatest olympic athelete ever, he still won.

That is correct. That guy swam the last 10 feet like he was supposed to. In his case, that's a textbook example that gliding into the wall is faster than taking another stroke, if you are able to completely disregard what phelps did.

Phelps on the other hand, he did what you're NOT supposed to do. He took another stroke within an arm's lenth of the wall. That's a textbook example of what not to do. Phelps looses that race 999 out of 1000 times if the same scenario plays out. Fortunately, history proves that the greatest ever finds a way to win time and time again. Pick any great athelete from any sport and they all make ridiculous plays to find a way to win. Hell, there's a reason why Drury scored that goal with 7.7 seconds to go rather than kalinin. Some guys just find a way to get it done, no matter what. This is the case for phelps. He broke the traditional rules to win. But to get back to the original point, that serbian guy did the right thing and phelps did the WRONG thing, however, since phelps is without a doubt the greatest olympic athelete ever, he still won.

I'm not a swimmer and understand strategy about as well as the next guy. I heard somewhere this week in all the Phelps coverage that he knows exactly how many strokes it takes him to swim the style and he counts. I think it came up after discussion about water in the googles. Replays show that the last stroke was just enough to get to the edge. It certainly looked very unusual to see him take that stroke when you're used to seeing them glide in. But maybe that count in his head says he needed one more.

I'm not a swimmer and understand strategy about as well as the next guy. I heard somewhere this week in all the Phelps coverage that he knows exactly how many strokes it takes him to swim the style and he counts. I think it came up after discussion about water in the googles. Replays show that the last stroke was just enough to get to the edge. It certainly looked very unusual to see him take that stroke when you're used to seeing them glide in. But maybe that count in his head says he needed one more.

He talked about that "half" stroke afterward. He admits his timing was off

.http://tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=246469&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_main

And he gets a million bucks from Speedo.

Good for him (assuming you were serious.) Not much out there for professional swimmers. The guy is, without question, the greatest ever in his sport (ok, one could argue that Spitz without the mustache and with a high-tech swimsuit could have done just as well). In hockey, basketball, baseball or football, that would make him a multi-millionaire many times over. He is world-famous right now, so he gets a big endorsement contract.

Good for him (assuming you were serious.) Not much out there for professional swimmers. The guy is, without question, the greatest ever in his sport (ok, one could argue that Spitz without the mustache and with a high-tech swimsuit could have done just as well). In hockey, basketball, baseball or football, that would make him a multi-millionaire many times over. He is world-famous right now, so he gets a big endorsement contract.

I have no problem with him getting the contract. The fact it was tied to his performance in the Olympics (he had to tie Spitz' record to get it), made it almost a quid pro quo -- payment for performance. I might be living far, far in the past, but for me that violates the spirit of the Olympics.

Why do I get the feeling a bunch of greedy parents are going to start taking their two-year-olds kids to swimming practice, starting next week? Wait for it -- the stories on the surge of interest in swimming in the United States.

Grumble grumble you kids gets out of my swimming pool!

PA shakes his gnarly, knobby weird old guy fist at the kids.

Not to nitpick, but it seems it's actually closer to 12,000 a day.

Phelps' diet - which involves ingesting 4,000 calories every time he sits down for a meal - resembles that of a reckless overeater rather than an Olympian.

Phelps lends a new spin to the phrase "Breakfast of Champions" by starting off his day by eating three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

He follows that up with two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

At lunch, Phelps gobbles up a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

For dinner, Phelps really loads up on the carbs - what he needs to give him plenty of energy for his five-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week regimen - with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza.

He washes all that down with another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

Yeah but just wait till he gets Older, heck I used to follow up a night of drinking after closing the bar with a trip to Texas red hots for three cheese dogs up with home fries and cup of extra sauce for dipping and then right home to pass out w/o gaining any weight... Man to be young and insane again instead of just insane. ;)

I have no problem with him getting the contract. The fact it was tied to his performance in the Olympics (he had to tie Spitz' record to get it), made it almost a quid pro quo -- payment for performance. I might be living far, far in the past, but for me that violates the spirit of the Olympics.

Why do I get the feeling a bunch of greedy parents are going to start taking their two-year-olds kids to swimming practice, starting next week? Wait for it -- the stories on the surge of interest in swimming in the United States.

Grumble grumble you kids gets out of my swimming pool!

PA shakes his gnarly, knobby weird old guy fist at the kids.

That story has already aired. Here in Baltimore the Phelps-effect is being felt area-wide. If you think you're seeing a lot of Michael just imagine Baltimore; TV here in Baltimore is covering it two-fold.

Yeah but just wait till he gets Older, heck I used to follow up a night of drinking after closing the bar with a trip to Texas red hots for three cheese dogs up with home fries and cup of extra sauce for dipping and then right home to pass out w/o gaining any weight... Man to be young and insane again instead of just insane. ;)

Hell, if you've got the metabolism to eat that stuff with little to no impact, might as well enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Quoting Adam Sandler in Big Daddy - " I used to be able to eat anything I wanted, and didn't gain an ounce. Now I have a chocolate shake and my ass jiggles for a week.'

Hell, if you've got the metabolism to eat that stuff with little to no impact, might as well enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Quoting Adam Sandler in Big Daddy - " I used to be able to eat anything I wanted, and didn't gain an ounce. Now I have a chocolate shake and my ass jiggles for a week.'

There is a simple way for people to eat what they like and eat more of it. Excersise. Get your heart beats per minute up to 120 and keep it at that level for at least 30 minutes. Do it 4 times a week and you're set. What cracks me up is that so many people say they don't have time to excersise. That's a bunch of bull shitt. Everyone can watch 1/2 hour less of TV a day and get a workout in. More excersise=more pizza and wings. Oh, and beer too.

There is a simple way for people to eat what they like and eat more of it. Excersise. Get your heart beats per minute up to 120 and keep it at that level for at least 30 minutes. Do it 4 times a week and you're set. What cracks me up is that so many people say they don't have time to excersise. That's a bunch of bull shitt. Everyone can watch 1/2 hour less of TV a day and get a workout in. More excersise=more pizza and wings. Oh, and beer too.

I dunno. 120 beats per minute is equivalent to a brisk walk. Two hours of walking won't burn all that many calories. Maybe a couple slices of pizza worth.

What cracks me up is that kind of condescending bullshitt. You have no idea what other people's schedules look like. I work at a freaking YMCA and don't have the time to work out regularly.

I dunno. 120 beats per minute is equivalent to a brisk walk. Two hours of walking won't burn all that many calories. Maybe a couple slices of pizza worth.

Agreed.

Archived