They seem to be on a roll

spndnchz

When and if?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Will Pominville be signed before the season starts?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yup, by next week
    • No, he's going RFA

Posted: Monday, 08 September 2008 1:58PM

wgr550.com

WGR 550 has learned that contract talks between the Sabres and forward Jason Pominville are slowly progressing. Morning show host Howard Simon spoke with Pominville's agent, Norman Dupont. He says that, while the two sides are not on the verge of an agreement, there is an open dialogue.

Dupont and the Sabres have held 5-to-6 discussions and will talk again this week. The sides are slowly, but surely, making progress. There is a new offer on the table, with contract offers exchanged from both ends of the table. Dupont also says that both sides are looking for a long-term deal.

What is considered long-term now? 4, 5, 6, 7 years? I hear long-term I think 6 minimum.

IMHO four. Looking at when contracts are coming due for the Sabres, if they were to get Pomers to sign for 5 years it would put him one year after TV's and Miller's come due. Staggered dates may be well played. I'd think 5 years is too short for Jason. So in Jason language 6 is long term?

IMHO four. Looking at when contracts are coming due for the Sabres, if they were to get Pomers to sign for 5 years it would put him one year after TV's and Miller's come due. Staggered dates may be well played. I'd think 5 years is too short for Jason. So in Jason language 6 is long term?

If the Sabres say long-term I think 4 years max.

I would like the Sabres to lock him up for 6 years.

I think Pommer will recieve a 5-6 year deal and be named captain at the presser. The guy deserves it. Just show him the money.

I think when the Sabres re-signed Roy to his deal, they should have offered Pommer a similar deal and i don't think he would have rejected at the time.

They were worried, I'm guessing, that he was a one season wonder at that point. Plus - when are the Sabres that proactive?

Not that Staal is better than Pomers, but same type of numbers

but....HURRICANES SIGN STAAL TO 7-YEAR, $57.75 MILLION EXTENSION

that's 8.25 mill.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=249130&lid...os=secStory_nhl

Well...I think Staal is better than Pommer, but I also think Pommer's price just went up. Staal would've been an RFA after this year, same as Pommer. Staal had 38 goals & 82 pts last year; Pommer had 27 & 80.

Bottom line: if Staal is worth $8.25 million per year, Pommer has to feel like he's worth $6 million. And I hate to strike an ominous note, but I doubt the Sabres think he's worth that much.

Well...I think Staal is better than Pommer, but I also think Pommer's price just went up. Staal would've been an RFA after this year, same as Pommer. Staal had 38 goals & 82 pts last year; Pommer had 27 & 80.

Bottom line: if Staal is worth $8.25 million per year, Pommer has to feel like he's worth $6 million. And I hate to strike an ominous note, but I doubt the Sabres think he's worth that much.

now that you reply I see my spell error, I did mean to say "Not that Staal isn't better than Pomers.

I think Pomers is worth some bucks, just like Roy would be paid more than he got recently if his contract renewed in '09.

Contract Breakdown:

ERIC STAAL CONTRACT EXTENSION

Sept. 11, 2008

2009-10 $6 million

2010-11 $7.5 million

2011-12 $7.75 million

2012-13 $8.5 million

2013-14 $9.25 million

2014-15 $9.25 million

2015-16 $9.5 million

TOTAL $57.75 million

TERM 7 years

AVERAGE $8.25 million/season

Pommer is good, but there are several reasons why Staal would get substantially more money:

- 4 full NHL seasons vs. 2-1/2

- Two years younger (he's almost 24, instead of almost 26)

- Bigger (6' 4", 205 lbs vs. 6' 0", 186 lbs)

- A 100 point season in addition to the two comparable (point-wise) seasons

- Two 35+ goal seasons (one over 40) vs. 0 (he got close in 2006-07)

- Over a point per game in 26 playoff games during their cup win

- Center vs. winger (don't know how much this really matters, but I'd pay more for the same level of player if he's a center rather than a winger)

- Cover of NHL 08

In watching them play, I would say Staal is better offensively and more of his points come from goals. The edge would likely go to Pommer in his own end, but I haven't paid enough attention to that aspect of Staal's game. Carolina is clearly looking to build their franchise around this Staal, as he is extremely good especially for his age, while Pommer is one of our "core group". I wouldn't be surprised to see anywhere between $5 million per and $6 million per for Pommer.

If they offered a 5 year deal worth 27-29 million, I wonder if he would pass.

WGR just stated that Pominville and his agent have given the Sabres a Friday deadline of getting a contract worked out. No negotiating during the season.

That sounds familiar, doesn't it?

They don't get a deal done by Friday and they go through the season not negotiating, the chances of him leaving in FA jump dramatically, IMO.

WGR did state that Norm Dupont will be meeting with Darcy every day this week - so at least they are still trying.

Pominville will be a RFA after this season so at the very least the Sabres will be able to match the offer sheet he will get from Edmonton.

Yeah, forgot for a second there that he is an RFA and not a UFA, so that helps a little. But it wouldn't surprise me to see someone throw a big sheet at him if he makes it to the end of the season without a new deal in place.

Anyone else get the feeling nothing will get done by Friday? <_<

Once again, I'd like to think that the FO wants to avoid the public shellacking they got after the you-know-who and you-know-who-else debacle...thus, one would hope an extension is done ASAP.

Perhaps they're nowhere close on a deal, but maybe this is a good thing.

IMHO, I can't believe that the two sides are that far off from each other. A year here, a half million there.

I would think a contract hanging over your head to get done during the season WOULD be a distraction. I wouldn't want it. Sh$t or get off the pot.

We all know the Sabres want him, just get 'r dun.

If it's true that a deadline has been set, I see no reason why they wouldn't have Pommers signed by said deadline. They know how important he is to this team. In my mind, if Pomminstein were to walk it would be far more devastating to the team than those other two guys were.

If it's true that a deadline has been set, I see no reason why they wouldn't have Pommers signed by said deadline. They know how important he is to this team. In my mind, if Pomminstein were to walk it would be far more devastating to the team than those other two guys were.

Not a chance. This can be described only as a wild exaggeration.

Saturday, I was so excited about the upcoming season. I thought the Sabres were close, and still may be, to signing Pomminstein before the season begings. I don't want to have the feeling of "what if..." or "when will they reach an agreement..." This year would be worst. Pomminstein is much more important than Campbell.

As Mike Grier left for San Jose, he said after the 05/06 season the team would fall apart due to management. I thought he was out of his mind. But slowly and surely, management is living up to his prediction. :wallbash:

Archived