Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Tomatoes. I hate those things. I refer to them as "Satan Berries." They ruin everything, I tell you!

Here in GA, they put traffic lights on all of the express way ramps. They're setup to only let one car through every second or two. If there are two lanes on the entrance ramp, there are two lights, and they alternate. Brilliant idea, GDOT. You just pushed the backup all the way the hell down onto the surface streets. Now, not only does it take me 15 minutes to get on the damn express way, I have to fight through surface traffic while sitting in the queue.

The fact that I've lost the same 30 pounds three times.

Or if you're from Rochester just brakes. Turn signals are optional.

And as one of my co-workers informed me, she's from Jersey, "Just because the person in front of you stops at a stop sign doesn't mean you have to"

Turn signals here in Maryland are a sign of weakness, especially on I-95..

What exactly is a disc of beer? Does that describe the container or the quantity? A gallon is 4 pints - been awhile but we probably managed chugging that in college providing it wasn't after 3 hours of already drinking beer. Stupidest thing we did was instead of beer bongs, to do tequila bongs with orange juice & someone pouring in as you were chugging so the longer you took, the more liquor you had to drink. What can I say, there wasn't a whole lot else to do in Decorah, Iowa for entertainment.

What's a good count for doing a keg stand? I'd never done one before until a couple of years ago - watched my brother in law & some of his classmates doing it (disclaimer: they were med students)- the guy who thought he'd won was a real arrogant nerd so I decided to have a go and managed a 54 count to his 20 something on my 1 & only ever attempt. Everyone suddenly thought my wife & I, the old marrieds at the party were a lot hipper.

OK - last gripe for the day then I need to try & get some work accomplished before the day finishes.

What is it with Yahoo email making me type in a code occasionally to ensure I'm not a SPAMMER? I've had the account for over 5 years (probably closer to 10) and send maybe 5 emails a day with it. Is their SPAM detection that pathetic that they can't figure out I don't fit the profile? This only happens every so often but is still annoying - all the more so, because half the time, I can't read the code (all run together).

Meanwhile, I get the same 5 spams every day into my account - you'd think they could figure out who's trying to sell the Sham-Wow to the entire Yahoo email database and shut them down but guess they're too busy weeding out bad apples like me!

As a recent college grad, I've been at my first job since May, and I've found that the best moment of the week is when I wake up on Friday morning, turn off the alarm, and then don't have to set it again for the next day :)

Buck up little employee - if you're lucky & plan well, you only have 30 or 40 more years of work ahead of you! Seriously, know it can be a rude change from the college days but hopefully you're doing now or will find something you enjoy enough so it doesn't seem so much like work. At least the Sabres are there in the evenings to provide distraction.

So I'm heading home a couple weeks ago, driving up Niagara Falls Blvd during "rush hour" (in quotes for our out of state friends who fight real traffic). The light is green, but I cannot get all the way through the intersection due to stopped traffic just on the other side. So I stopped just short of the crosswalk in case the light turned red before the traffic in front of me cleared so I wouldn't be stuck like a jackass in the intersection blocking crossing traffic while they have the green.

This lady behind me in a behemoth SUV starts laying on the horn. She wanted me to pull forward into the intersection so she can turn right. She is gesturing at me frantically like I am ruining her day. I calmly pointed to the sign that was immediately to my right that conveniently said what I wanted to tell her "Do not block side street". So she flips me off. I guess I should have blocked everyone on the side street, so she wouldn't have to take the chance of having to wait through another light cycle.

Along these lines....

Coming home from work earlier this week, I'm at the off-ramp of I-87 (just north of Albany) waiting for the light to turn green. I'm about 4th or 5th in a long line of cars coming off the ramp. As soon as the light turns green, some yahoo behind me lays on the horn....we're talking milliseconds after the light changes. I'm still struggling to figure out why he (or any impatient idiot) was doing such a thing. Was he trying to alert the guy who is 6 cars in front of him that the light turned green and he should've moved quicker?

And another complaint....I'm a network engineer for my income. I work with server admins and developers all the time. Why do they need to incessantly argue with me about how MY network devices operate, when they clearly don't know how to spell TCP?

What exactly is a disc of beer? Does that describe the container or the quantity? A gallon is 4 pints - been awhile but we probably managed chugging that in college providing it wasn't after 3 hours of already drinking beer. Stupidest thing we did was instead of beer bongs, to do tequila bongs with orange juice & someone pouring in as you were chugging so the longer you took, the more liquor you had to drink. What can I say, there wasn't a whole lot else to do in Decorah, Iowa for entertainment.

What's a good count for doing a keg stand? I'd never done one before until a couple of years ago - watched my brother in law & some of his classmates doing it (disclaimer: they were med students)- the guy who thought he'd won was a real arrogant nerd so I decided to have a go and managed a 54 count to his 20 something on my 1 & only ever attempt. Everyone suddenly thought my wife & I, the old marrieds at the party were a lot hipper.

A disc of beer describes the container. See

And congrats on the keg stand!

Buck up little employee - if you're lucky & plan well, you only have 30 or 40 more years of work ahead of you! Seriously, know it can be a rude change from the college days but hopefully you're doing now or will find something you enjoy enough so it doesn't seem so much like work. At least the Sabres are there in the evenings to provide distraction.

heh thanks. I shouldn't really be complaining about my job -- it's sweet, I play with robots all day.

My complaint would be the daily routine of the 40-hour work week. I absolutely loved the flexibility of anywhere from 6-20 hours of class per week, spread out so that everything else could be done at my own discretion. For example, now that I'm working, I have to either wake up at 5:30am to run, or run in the dark after work -- as opposed to: class->work out->lunch->class->homework....... No worries, I'm going back to school for my PhD next year. :) :) :)

However, I do enjoy having enough free time to watch every single Sabres game.

A disc of beer describes the container. See

And congrats on the keg stand!

So it's a frisbee full of beer? Am I missing something here - no offense but has anyone measured the volume - it looks like maybe 2 cans of beer worth in there. I'll have to give it a try next time I get bored or bring it to the next Rugby after game I attend and see how it goes down. Again, no offense, Ultimate Frisbee sounds cool & way more demanding than I could manage in my late 30s but the drinking looks a bit wimpy - what's with the guy in the lower right corner of the video - you don't stop for breaths of air man or to lick the foam off your lips - chug it down boyo!

So it's a frisbee full of beer? Am I missing something here - no offense but has anyone measured the volume - it looks like maybe 2 cans of beer worth in there. I'll have to give it a try next time I get bored or bring it to the next Rugby after game I attend and see how it goes down. Again, no offense, Ultimate Frisbee sounds cool & way more demanding than I could manage in my late 30s but the drinking looks a bit wimpy - what's with the guy in the lower right corner of the video - you don't stop for breaths of air man or to lick the foam off your lips - chug it down boyo!

it's definitely about 4-5 beers. I've seen plenty of them. Surprising I know, but true. especially because you get that dome effect with the beer, where you think it's almost full but it's not.

Yeah I've been told anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5 beers fit in a disc, but the only time I've actually measured it was barely over 4.5. If you try it yourself, note that what we use is this: http://www.discraft.com/ultprod.html

And haha the guy in the lower right is what we call a damn rookie beotch!

Haha yea I have heard of KanJam... I had never really heard of competitive ultimate before I went to Carnegie-Mellon, so when I found out about KanJam I was surprised to see its popularity in WNY. I've seen it played in a Pittsburgh-area ultimate tourney.

Yup, UofR, UB, and RIT all have well-established teams. I'd love to see it more at the high school level in Rochester; I know that a handful of HS teams (one of the Pittsfords I know does) have been established in recent years. Here in Pittsburgh, they have something like 38 high school teams, and a pretty big ultimate community.

What year CMU? I graduated 1983-- GSIA-- or should I now say Tepper something or other...

Tom

This one really irks me: Ted Haggard! The fact that the guy went on Oprah to tell everyone what's going on in his life was just sickening. I kid you not: I went to his church in 1990 - back when there were approximately 2000 people going there at that time (and I was posted at Fort Carson, CO). In retrospect, his theology was extremely flawed back then, and it still is today. (I don't expect many SS members to understand what I am talking about with regards to theology, but I ask that you guys trust me when I say that I do have a clue what I am talking about in that aspect). Which leads me to my next complaint...

Once again, Rick Warren.

This one really irks me: Ted Haggard! The fact that the guy went on Oprah to tell everyone what's going on in his life was just sickening. I kid you not: I went to his church in 1990 - back when there were approximately 2000 people going there at that time (and I was posted at Fort Carson, CO). In retrospect, his theology was extremely flawed back then, and it still is today. (I don't expect many SS members to understand what I am talking about with regards to theology, but I ask that you guys trust me when I say that I do have a clue what I am talking about in that aspect). Which leads me to my next complaint...

Once again, Rick Warren.

He denounces homosexuals. That's enough for me to dislike him. Anyone who is ignorant enough to believe that being gay can be "fixed" is on my societal "ignore list".

Yeah I've been told anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5 beers fit in a disc, but the only time I've actually measured it was barely over 4.5. If you try it yourself, note that what we use is this: http://www.discraft.com/ultprod.html

And haha the guy in the lower right is what we call a damn rookie beotch!

I stand corrected & maybe will give it a shot when the chance arrives - trying to chug up to 5 1/2 beers at once sounds worthwhile! Thanks for the enlightenment.

"Tech support" people who don't listen to or read the details of the problem you're having, and instead send you a generic cut-and-paste reply that includes "remedies" that you've already tried (which did not work).

Complaint #1: We have a new guy where I work. Smart guy, knows his stuff, willing to learn, and pretty much has a lot of good qualities about him, except....

He'll walk back to his desk while I'm in the middle of a conversation with another co-worker and he starts asking about said conversation, which usually has nothing to do with him, so we need to re-hash it and start from the beginning. Again, nice guy, but does he need to know about every single thing I talk about with everyone else?

Complaint #2: I got a coupon for a buy-one-get-one-free new waffle sandwich at Dunkin Donuts, so the wife & I proceed there for breakfast this morning. She gets a ham, egg, & cheese, while I order a bacon, egg, & cheese. They throw them in the bag and we go our separate ways to work. Upon arriving at work, we both find out they're croissant sandwiches....not the waffle sandwich we ordered. :censored: Too late at that point to go back to DD. :censored: