St. Louis gives Bernier an offer sheet!

outlaw16511

I'm feeling better about this now. This would have been a real mess for the Sabres.

Yikes. Me, too. Seems we dodged a bullet, and here I was all ticked off. Bernier isn't worth $2.5 million.

But I'm miffed about a couple of things.

Why would the Blues, and Bernier, only go for one year? It doesn't make sense. The only think I can think of, and I know it's not the way to run a team, but it smells like a revenge move for Backes.

Net loss to Vancouver would be a third round pick.

If we had kept Bernier and the same thing happened we would be out a second and third, but gained back a second so net we kinda gained a third rounder by trading him.

Makes me think... Vancouver could have stated they were going to send Bernier an offer sheet to Darcy, and he decided he wouldn't match. The Canucks out of good faith throw in a third rounder and everyone is happy.

The Blues are pissed about Backes, and say either "Let's screw with Vancouver's payroll" or "Let's make them give up a third rounder for nothing and embarrass them."

Either way, I enjoy this offer sheet stuff as long as we're not involved.

Makes me think... Vancouver could have stated they were going to send Bernier an offer sheet to Darcy, and he decided he wouldn't match. The Canucks out of good faith throw in a third rounder and everyone is happy.

The Blues are pissed about Backes, and say either "Let's screw with Vancouver's payroll" or "Let's make them give up a third rounder for nothing and embarrass them."

Either way, I enjoy this offer sheet stuff as long as we're not involved.

It's good theatre when it's not happening at HSBC...

I'm feeling better about this now. This would have been a real mess for the Sabres.

I don't think there's a single fan in Sabre Land who wouldn't be right now. So far, we haven't been "Kevin Lowe'd."

This is hilarious. I love it! I'm pretty sure that Gillis was going to give Bernier an offer sheet, so Darcy decided to just trade Bernier because it was probably better compensation than he would have gotten from the offer sheet. Now, Pleau, Davidson, and company are pi$$ed about Gillis signing Backes to an offer sheet so they decided to screw with Vancouver. I love it. What I think would be fantastic is if Bernier ended up being part of three different teams during the month of July 2008. I love this vindictiveness and revenge game the Blues are playing. I just don't see why Darcy didn't try to sign Jarrett Stoll or Pitkanen to an offer sheet to get back at Lowe. Oh well, I'm enjoying it as long as the Sabres are not involved.

Gee, maybe Darcy knows what he's doing. I know it's hard for some...

That healthy serving of humble pie vis-a-vis Kevin Lowe in the previous offseason must have been a wake up call for him.

That healthy serving of humble pie vis-a-vis Kevin Lowe in the previous offseason must have been a wake up call for him.

Kevin Lowe Road didn't serve Darcy humble pie. He merely set a bad precedent for the league and made himself a more controversial character as a GM in the NHL. Darcy was the one getting the phone calls of support.

And he did the right thing in signing Vanek, even if the first two years were inflated. Look into the future and it's clear to these eyes that Vanek's contract will look really good down the road.

Kevin Lowe Road didn't serve Darcy humble pie. He merely set a bad precedent for the league and made himself a more controversial character as a GM in the NHL. Darcy was the one getting the phone calls of support.

And he did the right thing in signing Vanek, even if the first two years were inflated. Look into the future and it's clear to these eyes that Vanek's contract will look really good down the road.

Ah, yes, because the numbers will drop in the long run.

As for Kevin Lowe, you have a valid point there. Maybe they ought to change the name of the Western Conference to the Offer Sheet Conference.

Gee, maybe Darcy knows what he's doing. I know it's hard for some...

Please....people...STOP!

The Sabres received a 2009 3rd round pick and a 2010 2nd round pick.

That is THE SAME as receiving a 2009 2nd round pick.

Darcy gave up a 3rd round pick in the next year's draft to move up one spot this year. There is a time-value of draft picks, and the cynic in me wants to say the Sabres made the trade so they didn't look like cheap idiots again, and so they could lead the "loyal" fanbase into looking at the nominal factor of draft picks and making it look impressive.

I have no problem with the trade....it was a good move for all involved....just don't make it out to be something it wasn't. I don't think anyone is doing so on purpose, just look at the true value of picks and understand it was a smart PR move to move Bernier before another PR disaster hit.

Now if someone here was smart, they would keep an eye on Tom Webster before he goes and firebombs Paille's house.

Please....people...STOP!

The Sabres received a 2009 3rd round pick and a 2010 2nd round pick.

That is THE SAME as receiving a 2009 2nd round pick.

Darcy gave up a 3rd round pick in the next year's draft to move up one spot this year. There is a time-value of draft picks, and the cynic in me wants to say the Sabres made the trade so they didn't look like cheap idiots again, and so they could lead the "loyal" fanbase into looking at the nominal factor of draft picks and making it look impressive.

I have no problem with the trade....it was a good move for all involved....just don't make it out to be something it wasn't. I don't think anyone is doing so on purpose, just look at the true value of picks and understand it was a smart PR move to move Bernier before another PR disaster hit.

Now if someone here was smart, they would keep an eye on Tom Webster before he goes and firebombs Paille's house.

I agree that they didn't get the crown jewels for Bernier. I also agree that the trade was a smart move. But I think that it was a smart move because they made lemonade (Rivet) out of lemons (the fact that they probably knew Bernier was going to get an offer sheet in this range, and they had no interest in keeping him at that price).

They also acted with urgency and a good sense of timing -- ie as soon as Rivet was available, they traded Bernier to acquire that extra 2nd-rounder that they needed to make the trade. If they hadn't been smart about it, they would have waited around for Bernier to get an offer sheet and sign it -- by which time Rivet would have been gone.

So, while it wasn't Ricky Williams for an entire draft, it was still a crisp, savvy move by the FO to unload a guy who we weren't going to keep anyway, at a position at which we are overcrowded, and turn him into a really good player who is exactly what we needed.

So didn't Bernier's agent make a statement earlier this week to the Vancouver papers that he doesn't like going the offer sheet route? There you go, even more reason to not listen to a word that agents say.

Also, for all those people who say it was coming, that's not the case. This is nothing more than St. Louis returning the favor. A one year contract? This wasn't a serious offer. The one big positive for Bernier is that this will now be his starting point when Vancouver makes him a qualifying offer next year. He'll also be arbitration eligible and even with a bad year will probably get a decent raise.

By the way...Canucks matched right after.

Right, but the kick in the balls is, Canucks were looking for a long term deal at about $2.5 million per, St Louis doing this, means that if Bernier has a very good season, he will demand alot more money next summer and thus leaving Vancouver. From what i heard, St Louis didn't think they would land Bernier, they just wanted to play games with Gillis.

So didn't Bernier's agent make a statement earlier this week to the Vancouver papers that he doesn't like going the offer sheet route? There you go, even more reason to not listen to a word that agents say.

Also, for all those people who say it was coming, that's not the case. This is nothing more than St. Louis returning the favor. A one year contract? This wasn't a serious offer. The one big positive for Bernier is that this will now be his starting point when Vancouver makes him a qualifying offer next year. He'll also be arbitration eligible and even with a bad year will probably get a decent raise.

I hear you about the agent...but the whole deal was complicated. My biggest point coming out of the whole ordeal was that Bernier was going to be making this type of money, or else it didn't make sense for Vancouver to trade for him.

Also.....Regier talked to Davidson of St Louis the day Vancouver put their sheet down on the Blues player and Darcy was trying to get Davidson to sit on his match for 7 days so Vancouver couldn't use the tag. Darcy knew Vancouver was interested. The agent just facilitated a deal by letting Buffalo know Vancouver would drop a sheet, giving Buffalo a chance to trade for pretty much the same thing without the PR mess. NOW...ST Louis could have dropped this by surprise, but it is also possible now that Bernier's agent actually lost his own client some leverage by taking a Vancouver offer sheet out of the mix, and made ammends to Bernier by getting him the one year deal. Vancouver could have sat on the trade and said $6 million for 3 years...but Bernier would rather prove himself and have more upfront security.

I think Sabre fans have forgotten what a true power forward does for a team. You can't teach size+skill combo that Bernier has. He may never be a 40 goal scorer, but the kid will be a 300 goal scorer for his career. I also said that about Pyatt. I trust those two to get to 300 before Pominville does.

Right, but the kick in the balls is, Canucks were looking for a long term deal at about $2.5 million per, St Louis doing this, means that if Bernier has a very good season, he will demand alot more money next summer and thus leaving Vancouver. From what i heard, St Louis didn't think they would land Bernier, they just wanted to play games with Gillis.

Then Vancouver is dumb to not sign the contract the day of the trade.

I'd beat the crap out of his agent!

It made perfect sense for Vancouver to trade for him. If they want him, the only way they guarantee getting him, short of offering a ridiculous contract, is by trading for him. And while creative, your scenario just doesn't work out. The St. Louis offer was a joke. 1 year? That is not the kind of contract that is going to lure away any RFA. Backes signed for 3, Vanek for 7, Penner for 5, and Kesler for 4. One year was not going to get it done. The only way you'll ever lure away a RFA is by burdening the team with a long term financial commitment. And looking back at the deal, I don't think the Backes offer was all that serious either.

edit: After looking again, Vancouver gave Backes a 3 year, $2.5 million per offer sheet. The amount to Bernier is no coincidence. You can thank dumb luck for winning your bet with TW.

Archived