Darcy Regier is garbage

SHAAAUGHT!!!

Why has Darcy Regier not been replaced yet? He is incapable of signing anyone who is not a prospect, he sat on his hands for another free agency opening, and he lacks vision (Chris Drury and Briere could have been signed for a lot less than fatty V). I'm sick of watching this d-bag ruin this team. Even before the season started last year everyone and their mother knew this team lacked experience and leadership. A third line vet with marginal skills, a big heart, and the confidence to lead in the locker room could have won us 3-4 more games (think about all the goals scored against the sabres in the last 2 minutes of regulation last season).

There is no difference in our needs for this year. We need a similar player up front and a top 4 d-man on the blueline. Where the f*ck is the contract to orpik already? Why wouldn't you sign a 6 year deal with a player who is in his prime, plays tough and smart, and would show other players in the league that you are serious about putting the pieces together to build a playoff team. That would make it a lot easier getting other players to buffalo and also leverage for negotiating with our current players. Instead he makes the easy deal with the 7th round draft pick and back-up goalie. This guy is a joke and I for one am completely sick about it. Without unloading some underperforming players (kotalik and afinigonov -as much as I love watching him skate and get excited everytime the sabres score a goal) and adding some leadership we are going be stuck with a team that is frustrating to watch, again.

The build from within the organization strategy is flawed at this point. Our minor league teams are picked over with the quality players playing for the big club, or they're prospects that need 2-3 years more in the minors. The only way to get a competitive team at this point is with trades and in free agency. Unfortunately our GM lacks the competence to do so and should have been fired halfway through last year. Lucklily we have one of the best coaching staffs in the league with Lindy Ruff that can get the most out of his players (although I think Miller would benefit from a new goalie coach that understands positioning better and won't play him 75 games a year).

All that said, does anyone know if Bob Corkum is still skating? I'm sure Darcy would like him to come in for a tryout....

Why has Darcy Regier not been replaced yet? He is incapable of signing anyone who is not a prospect, he sat on his hands for another free agency opening, and he lacks vision (Chris Drury and Briere could have been signed for a lot less than fatty V). I'm sick of watching this d-bag ruin this team. Even before the season started last year everyone and their mother knew this team lacked experience and leadership. A third line vet with marginal skills, a big heart, and the confidence to lead in the locker room could have won us 3-4 more games (think about all the goals scored against the sabres in the last 2 minutes of regulation last season).

There is no difference in our needs for this year. We need a similar player up front and a top 4 d-man on the blueline. Where the f*ck is the contract to orpik already? Why wouldn't you sign a 6 year deal with a player who is in his prime, plays tough and smart, and would show other players in the league that you are serious about putting the pieces together to build a playoff team. That would make it a lot easier getting other players to buffalo and also leverage for negotiating with our current players. Instead he makes the easy deal with the 7th round draft pick and back-up goalie. This guy is a joke and I for one am completely sick about it. Without unloading some underperforming players (kotalik and afinigonov -as much as I love watching him skate and get excited everytime the sabres score a goal) and adding some leadership we are going be stuck with a team that is frustrating to watch, again.

The build from within the organization strategy is flawed at this point. Our minor league teams are picked over with the quality players playing for the big club, or they're prospects that need 2-3 years more in the minors. The only way to get a competitive team at this point is with trades and in free agency. Unfortunately our GM lacks the competence to do so and should have been fired halfway through last year. Lucklily we have one of the best coaching staffs in the league with Lindy Ruff that can get the most out of his players (although I think Miller would benefit from a new goalie coach that understands positioning better and won't play him 75 games a year).

All that said, does anyone know if Bob Corkum is still skating? I'm sure Darcy would like him to come in for a tryout....

You, and those like you, are both clueless and pathetic. Darcy is widely respected around the league by those who know the game and know the business, yet dolts like you think they know better as they post on internet message boards. It's really such a sad joke...

The only way to get a competitive team at this point is with trades and in free agency.

Free agency is one day old and pretty much everyone who went yesterday was overpaid. Free agency will continue for a couple of months -- though, with a slim FA market, I doubt we'll go there -- and trades tend to come after the initial wave. I agree that they need to do something this summer and even Darcy has said this (bringing in 1-2 D-men, making some trades up front, ...), but at least give them some time to do so before the crying that the sky is falling. Day 1 of free agency is rarely a good day to find players for what they are worth. Look at Brian Campbell. Most people here wouldn't have given him 5 x 5, but he just got 8 x 7.1 (and you know that has some discount, buyout years at the end, so he'll be making 8+ for 5-6 years.)

I hope the venting made SHAAUGHT feel better. It is frustrating to watch your team sit on their hands. I think of the Buffalo Bills earlier this decade and draw a comparison. Their team definitely needed help, but they refused to get an impact player from free agency. Starting last year, the team bought a new O-line, and then this year paid for some defensive impact players. It created excitement and a buzz. Season tickets sales are at a record high! But, does that mean the team is guaranteed to win or make the playoffs.

SHAAUGHT, I feel for you, but you are just a tad bit overboard. Hang in there. As frustrating as no move in free agency feels, I really believe a trade will happen to help the team.

The only way to get a competitive team at this point is with trades and in free agency. Unfortunately our GM lacks the competence to do so...

Any GM that can turn Barnaby, Wilson, Sarich, Primeau, and Holzinger into Stu Barnes, Rhett Warrener, Ryan Miller, Danny Briere and Derek Roy can't be all that bad.

I have been on record saying that I've been frustrated with the way last summer was handled with the loss of Drury and Briere and have been somewhat frustrated by the lack of the "BIG" move. Even with that, to say Regier is crap is stupid and relatively uneducated. Regier has probably one of the most difficult jobs in the NHL now that there is parity between the CAD and USD and that is fielding a competitive team in one of the smallest markets in the US with nearly no TV money and a very poor league wide financial situation.

In addition, this team has developed some of the best young talent in the league. Most people here watch every Sabres game and thus know EVERY wart on every prospect on this team and as a group, we probably de-value the quality of the talent running through here every year from the minor leagues. But as you watch the Sabres develop talent vs other teams (and that at the end of the day falls on Regier), they Sabres are much better than most teams.

Does this team have holes in it? Definitely. Is this team ready to beat the 2007-2008 Detroit Red Wings? NO chance. But honestly, no one did. This team is not ready for prime time yet in terms of winning a championship. But only one team can win one every year.

I believe that Darcy, for the most part, has put this team in a position to be successful more than not. Again, this comes from a guy who was critical of the way the Drury and Briere negotiations were handled. But there are probably 25 teams who would swap their GMs for Regier.

Would you feel better if Darcy paid a defenceman who has 94 career games in the NHL, 4 years, at $3.5 million dollars a year (Jeff Finger)

Would you feel better if Darcy overpaid drastically for a one dimensional defenceman for a staggering $57 million? (Brian Campbell)

Would you feel better if they signed Mark Streit, a forward/defenceman who has inflated numbers for $5 million dollars a year?

How many good years has Oprik had? You want to give him 6 seasons???

Boy, I am glad you are not our GM.

You, and those like you, are both clueless and pathetic. Darcy is widel respected around the league by those who know the game and know the business, yet dolts like you think they know better as they post on internet message boards. It's really such a sad joke...

Gary Glitter, John "I like yelling because it makes me feel tough" Tortilla, and George Bush were widely respected too "nah nah na nah - HEY!". Respect has nothing to do with it because sports analysis people are dumb, in general. Darcy has made a coule good moves, but not enough condsidering the 10 years he's been in his job. And it helps that after the team sucked for 3 years, we had a lot of good draft picks and an awesome development staff in Rochester. Luckily the game changed after the lockout and guys that had come through the minor and players we got good deals on (Briere) were able to play their game. If the rules hadn't of changed, the sabres would not have made it to the finals. I credit Ruff for understanding the rules and forumulating his game plan around them, not Regier for drafting and signing diminutive players a couple years before the lock-out.

Given the history of boneheaded Regiers moves (Bob Corkum, Chris Gratton, Kalinin, etc etc etc), why would this year be any better. Its not about what you've done before, its what have you done lately. If this guy was a CEO he would have been fired years ago. He has let too much talent get away for absolutely nothing. I hope with all my heart he makes some moves this year so we can actually be a competitor, but I'm not holding my breath because Darcy's track record sucks. He needs to feel some pressure and his job should not be a gimme.

But hey, ignorance is bliss so have fun this summer talking about how the sabres are going to make the playoffs because as of right now they do not have the tools to do so.

But hey, ignorance is bliss so have fun this summer talking about how the sabres are going to make the playoffs because as of right now they do not have the tools to do so.

23 hrs. 22 min. into free agency. ..... .. . . . .. . . . .. ....

Exactly which comparable contract should the Sabres have signed?

I see one. Rolston.

But the guy would rather trap. C'est la vie.

Gary Glitter, John "I like yelling because it makes me feel tough" Tortilla, and George Bush were widely respected too "nah nah na nah - HEY!".

OK this is as far as I got ... Do you mean John Tortorella? He did get fired but .... not sure what he did to get lumped in with a convicted child sex abuser and a guy who is so DISrespected that most of the world hates him.

Gary Glitter, John "I like yelling because it makes me feel tough" Tortilla, and George Bush were widely respected too "nah nah na nah - HEY!". Respect has nothing to do with it because sports analysis people are dumb, in general. Darcy has made a coule good moves, but not enough condsidering the 10 years he's been in his job. And it helps that after the team sucked for 3 years, we had a lot of good draft picks and an awesome development staff in Rochester. Luckily the game changed after the lockout and guys that had come through the minor and players we got good deals on (Briere) were able to play their game. If the rules hadn't of changed, the sabres would not have made it to the finals. I credit Ruff for understanding the rules and forumulating his game plan around them, not Regier for drafting and signing diminutive players a couple years before the lock-out.

Given the history of boneheaded Regiers moves (Bob Corkum, Chris Gratton, Kalinin, etc etc etc), why would this year be any better. Its not about what you've done before, its what have you done lately. If this guy was a CEO he would have been fired years ago. He has let too much talent get away for absolutely nothing. I hope with all my heart he makes some moves this year so we can actually be a competitor, but I'm not holding my breath because Darcy's track record sucks. He needs to feel some pressure and his job should not be a gimme.

Gee, I wonder who made those draft picks, and hired that development staff in Rochester, and hired that coach who understood the rules changes?

You understand the GM's role, right?

By the way, under this GM the Sabres have made a Cup finals appearance, made four conference finals appearances, and set the franchise record for wins in back-to-back seasons. All this while the team filed for bankruptcy and changed owners.

Would you feel better if Darcy paid a defenceman who has 94 career games in the NHL, 4 years, at $3.5 million dollars a year (Jeff Finger)

Would you feel better if Darcy overpaid drastically for a one dimensional defenceman for a staggering $57 million? (Brian Campbell)

Would you feel better if they signed Mark Streit, a forward/defenceman who has inflated numbers for $5 million dollars a year?

How many good years has Oprik had? You want to give him 6 seasons???

Boy, I am glad you are not our GM.

The anser too all of these is no, and that is just really, really, really stupid to say.

The anser too all of these is no, and that is just really, really, really stupid to say.

Ok let me ask you this: If Darcy is so bad, give me some candidates that can come into this enviroment and do SO much better, any candidates? Links?

Did anyone else watch the team I watched last year? Did anyone on here watch the teams before the lock-out? If you throw enough crap at a wall, some of it is going to stick. I'm not saying he is a invalid that has trouble feeding himself, I'm just saying Regier has made horrible decisions.

Archived