RFA bet just got more interesting

carpandean

Bad news for TW:

http://tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=...s=headlines_nhl

For example, if we start at the lower end, why not offer some of these guys a contract between $900,000 and $1.3-million, risking a third-round pick if their team won't match? Steve Bernier, RW, Buffalo; Paul Gaustad, C, Buffalo; Dan Paille, LW, Buffalo; Kevin Klein, D, Nashville; Nigel Dawes, LW, N.Y. Rangers; Ryane Clowe, RW, San Jose; Brooks Laich, LW, Washington

3 out of 7 target low range RFAs. WTF, is Scott Cullen from Edmonton or something?! I'm pretty sure the Sabres would match a $900k-$1.3M offers for any of those guys, probably more, and for Gaustad, they would go significantly higher.

Bad news for TW:

3 out of 7 target low range RFAs. WTF, is Scott Cullen from Edmonton or something?! I'm pretty sure the Sabres would match a $900k-$1.3M offers for any of those guys, probably more, and for Gaustad, they would go significantly higher.

This would actually be great news for TW. If all three are offered contracrs in the 1.3 range, I would maximize my bet as their combined cap hit would be 3.9, much lower then the expected $5 million.

Bad news for TW:

The trouble with that way of playing is that is the player has to sign the offer sheet.

What those players are looking for right now is a long term deal.

Why would they sign a deal for between 9-1.3 x 1 when what they and their agents would like to see are multiyear deals for

twice those numbers.

if they get 2.5 X 4 offers they may play ball but I don't think they sign offer sheets for bargain prices when they are playing for huge deals heading into free agency.

The second part that doesn't add up is that there are comparable UFA's that don't cost a pick at all.

The trouble with that way of playing is that is the player has to sign the offer sheet.

What those players are looking for right now is a long term deal.

Why would they sign a deal for between 9-1.3 x 1 when what they and their agents would like to see are multiyear deals for

twice those numbers.

if they get 2.5 X 4 offers they may play ball but I don't think they sign offer sheets for bargain prices when they are playing for huge deals heading into free agency.

And let me go on record as saying that I would take a number one draft choice for each of them so if the offer is over $2.6 (which woiuld shock me) let them walk and I will gladly pay Dwight and look forward to having four number one draft choices in the John Taveras (sic) draft.

And let me go on record as saying that I would take a number one draft choice for each of them so if the offer is over $2.6 (which would shock me) let them walk and I will gladly pay Dwight and look forward to having four number one draft choices in the John Taveras (sic) draft.

Yeah, plus any team that is willing give up a first round draft pick and $2.6 million+ per year for any of those guys probably isn't going to do well next season (poor management decisions don't bode well for a successful season), making that first round pick that much more valuable.

And let me go on record as saying that I would take a number one draft choice for each of them so if the offer is over $2.6 (which woiuld shock me) let them walk and I will gladly pay Dwight and look forward to having four number one draft choices in the John Taveras (sic) draft.

Yeah, plus any team that is willing give up a first round draft pick and $2.6 million+ per year for any of those guys probably isn't going to do well next season (poor management decisions don't bode well for a successful season), making that first round pick that much more valuable.

I wouldn't take a #1 for any of those 3. All 3 are legit NHL players, which is more than can be said for quite a few first-round picks (Barrett Heisten, Viv Savage, etc.). They also represent a pretty good portion of the Sabres' size and toughness -- which I think we'd all agree that we don't have enough of as it is.

The more likely scenario is for someone to offer Goose or (less likely) Paille $7.5 million for 3 years, forcing us to either overpay to keep him or get only a low pick (I think a 3rd) in return.

I wouldn't take a #1 for any of those 3. All 3 are legit NHL players, which is more than can be said for quite a few first-round picks (Barrett Heisten, Viv Savage, etc.). They also represent a pretty good portion of the Sabres' size and toughness -- which I think we'd all agree that we don't have enough of as it is.

The more likely scenario is for someone to offer Goose or (less likely) Paille $7.5 million for 3 years, forcing us to either overpay to keep him or get only a low pick (I think a 3rd) in return.

Good points and I was mostly making a joke. It would definitely depend on the team making the offer. I perennial playoff team like Detroit, I wouldn't take the pick, since it will likely be very low. From the Kings or Columbus, I might think about it. However, you are probably right that they would stay right under the cutoff.

I'll agree with the 'core' for most of the RFA's, probably why they're RFA :doh:

Here's the picks to get back:

Restricted Free Agent Compensation

Salary Range ------- Compensation

Below $863,156 ------ No Compensation

$863,156-$1,307,812 ------ Third-round pick

$1,307,812-$2,615,625 ------ Second-round pick

$2,615,625-$3,923,437 ------ First- and third-round picks

$3,923,437-$5,231,249 ------ First-, second and third-round picks

$5,231,249-$6,539,062 ------ Two first-rounders, a second-round pick and a third-round pick.

$6,539,062 or more ------ Four first-round picks

The salary range is for the average per year of the contract, correct?

Are players / agents allowed to go back to their current team, or any team for that matter, and tell them about a contract offer they have received before they sign it?

The salary range is for the average per year of the contract, correct?

Are players / agents allowed to go back to their current team, or any team for that matter, and tell them about a contract offer they have received before they sign it?

Yes, just because a player receives an offer sheet he does not have to sign.

Good points and I was mostly making a joke. It would definitely depend on the team making the offer. I perennial playoff team like Detroit, I wouldn't take the pick, since it will likely be very low. From the Kings or Columbus, I might think about it. However, you are probably right that they would stay right under the cutoff.

Since it will never happen, my comment is pretty much pointless, but any team that would put that much money into any of these guys would probably end up sucking anyway.

Since it will never happen, my comment is pretty much pointless, but any team that would put that much money into any of these guys would probably end up sucking anyway.

I agree ... uh, actually, I already agreed:

Dallas just gave Eriksson $1.6 million per year for two years:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241813&lid...s=headlines_nhl

He's younger than Paille, but put up similar numbers last year.

That would be the top end for Paille. Only way he gets more is if he gives up some free agent years which would take a 6 year deal which I also don't see happening.

Man, it's one thing when vets are getting big bucks, but when kids averaging less than a HALF POINT per game over two seasons are getting $3.125 million ... I know he was a top 10 pick and is talented but that throws the market out of whack ....

I doubt this is a comparable for our guys as it looks like Florida has bought Olesz's UFA years since the term is 6 years. The only one it could apply to is Gaustad as he becomes a UFA next year, but I doubt it has any impact on Paille or Bernier unless we buy their UFA years, which does not seem like something Darcy will do.

Well, according to TSN, the Ducks are very close to re-signing Corey Perry at about $5.325 million/season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242101&amp...os=secStory_nhl

I think this might be the comparable for Pominville. I think Pominville might be worth slightly less than Perry, but given inflation, I think he might be worth slightly more than Roy. So, I'm thinking Pominville somewhere in the $4.5-$5 million/year range. Just my take.

Well, according to TSN, the Ducks are very close to re-signing Corey Perry at about $5.325 million/season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242101&amp...os=secStory_nhl

I think this might be the comparable for Pominville. I think Pominville might be worth slightly less than Perry, but given inflation, I think he might be worth slightly more than Roy. So, I'm thinking Pominville somewhere in the $4.5-$5 million/year range. Just my take.

If that is the take, then i hope it's a minimum of 5 years. Maybe 7?

If that is the take, then i hope it's a minimum of 5 years. Maybe 7?

I'm more than likely in the minority, but I'm still stuck on Pommers not being a top level player. He's a solid second line winger, but how much is too much?

Archived