Olli Jokinen wants to be traded

Swedesessed

Are you saying he is a 'jack of all trades and master of none'? If he doesn't do any thing really well and is just OK at everything he is going to passed quickly by other Sabres prospects.

Exactly. The thing I like about Clarke is that overall, he isn't something amazing, but I haven't seen him make any glaring mistakes or have any real weaknesses. He's just there, doing a decent job. He's like Kotalik. My only issue with Al is that he doesn't throw his body around enough, but maybe Clarke has the potential to?

Sure, he could get passed by some of our younger guys that have special talents, but I think he could turn into a steady, reliable player.

Whether it's here or elsewhere is really the question.

I liked his passing in between the blue lines. He also seemed to have a sense for where to go with the puck around the net. That is what caught my eye.

Out of all the young players we have I am more inclined to see how Stafford improves this year. He is the one I believe that has to show a lot more improvement in production in his game more so than any skater on this team.

That's fair.

Maybe expendable is the wrong word, but if the FO thinks they can get more production from Gerbe or Kennedy I would not be shocked to see them move someone like Paille or Stafford as part of a package. And three posts down TW is predicting Bernier or Staff will be traded before camp.

Besides - Paille is only listed at 6-0, not 6-2. :nana:

So I guess I shouldn't point out that in the post I quoted, you only mentioned Stafford, not Paille. ;)

But anyway, I don't know how they could come to that conclusion with respect to production at this point. Paille just put up 19 goals and Stafford 16. They should be expecting those numbers to trend upward, not so much for Paille maybe, but definitely from Stafford. There is no way that can expect more production from Gerbe/Kennedy at this point. Then there's the fact that Paille is one of the few forwards on this team that can play a grinding defensive game, something we shouldn't expect from the undersized recent signings. Stafford? Yeah, not so much.

If they're going to move either of these guys, its going to be because they can get that instant impact value in return, much like Taro said. In the big picture, its not going to have much of anything to do with Kennedy/Gerbe. They're completely different kind of players.

Are you saying he is a 'jack of all trades and master of none'? If he doesn't do any thing really well and is just OK at everything he is going to passed quickly by other Sabres prospects.

He reminds me of Barrie Moore. (who played last season with the 'Coventy Blaze' along side of Rumon Ndur :blink: )

So I guess I shouldn't point out that in the post I quoted, you only mentioned Stafford, not Paille. ;)

But anyway, I don't know how they could come to that conclusion with respect to production at this point. Paille just put up 19 goals and Stafford 16. They should be expecting those numbers to trend upward, not so much for Paille maybe, but definitely from Stafford. There is no way that can expect more production from Gerbe/Kennedy at this point. Then there's the fact that Paille is one of the few forwards on this team that can play a grinding defensive game, something we shouldn't expect from the undersized recent signings. Stafford? Yeah, not so much.

If they're going to move either of these guys, its going to be because they can get that instant impact value in return, much like Taro said. In the big picture, its not going to have much of anything to do with Kennedy/Gerbe. They're completely different kind of players.

Good post. I agree 100% that Stafford or Paille (or Bernier) would only be traded, and reluctantly so, to get the defenseman or center we really need. It wouldn't be to make room for Gerbe or Kennedy -- the room that would be created would be taken by one of the other wingers we already have, since we currently have too many.

(Of course, I will admit to harboring a slight hope that Gerbe looks like Henri Richard in camp and is simply too good not to make the roster, in which case we would have to unload someone to make room for him. But Darcy knows the odds of that are quite low.)

Guest Sloth
Gaborik was injured in 06-07 and still manged 30 goals in 48 games. That is the only season he has played less than 65 games.

Who cares if Ollie is a "bigger name"? The Sabres don't need big names they need quality hockey players that have complete games. I see Ollie as a taller B-Rod which the Sabres do not need at all.

Gaborik is a VERY good player. He had 42 goals or so last season, but he'll cost a lot. Ollie wont, at least shouldn't, cost as much. Ollie is bigger and he plays center. Ollie had 71 points, 34 of them being goals, w/ a smaller supporting cast. Gaborik is primarily a winger. The Sabres need a good sized center.

Darren Dreger on TSN said they want two young NHL roster players and a first-round pick.

The cost would probably be Stafford, Paille and a first.

I'd do that in a second!

I bet they would ask for something like Hecht, Pominville and a first. Not sure I'd want any part of that. Though, adding up the salaries it might make sense

Guest Sloth
I'd do that in a second!

I bet they would ask for something like Hecht, Pominville and a first. Not sure I'd want any part of that. Though, adding up the salaries it might make sense

Hecht is under a somewhat long term deal and Pominville is a MUST LOCK for the Sabres. Paille played well when he was allowed to be on the top 2 lines. He's a good young play w/ a lot of potential. Florida most likely won't take Stafford. If they want those two and a 1st round, go for it! But don't give up Pominville...I'm hesitant on Hecht.

Gaborik is a VERY good player. He had 42 goals or so last season, but he'll cost a lot. Ollie wont, at least shouldn't, cost as much. Ollie is bigger and he plays center. Ollie had 71 points, 34 of them being goals, w/ a smaller supporting cast. Gaborik is primarily a winger. The Sabres need a good sized center.

Even though a number 2 center is at the top of everyone's list, we really don't have a need for it as much as defensemen. Sabres were 4th overall in goals for and 20th for goals against. I would say a good stay at home D-man like Orpik and then see were we stand to go after someone like Ollie because we do need a good sized center (like goose's size and roy's/connolly's abilities, if that exists for average price range). After that point though I think we would be pretty hard pressed to pay him.

Hecht is under a somewhat long term deal and Pominville is a MUST LOCK for the Sabres. Paille played well when he was allowed to be on the top 2 lines. He's a good young play w/ a lot of potential. Florida most likely won't take Stafford. If they want those two and a 1st round, go for it! But don't give up Pominville...I'm hesitant on Hecht.

For the same reason you and I want to keep Pommer and Hecht Florida would want them. Olli is a super stud player, he won't come at a cheap price. If I were Florida I wouldn't trade him for Paille and Stafford. No way.

I would be surprised if either is moved myself.

I would expect a decent return for Stafford if he was moved.

Bernier has his make or break season coming up - or else he is going to be a journeyman third-liner.

I think Bernier is trade bait right now if we can package him with another player to get a top-6 forward or top 4 defenseman. The Rangers were reportedly very interested in him around the trade deadline. He obviously still has potential, but IMO he's too inconsistent and too slow to be an impact player on the 1st or 2nd lines.

Guest Sloth
For the same reason you and I want to keep Pommer and Hecht Florida would want them. Olli is a super stud player, he won't come at a cheap price. If I were Florida I wouldn't trade him for Paille and Stafford. No way.

What about Paille and Hecht? I wonder what they mean by young? Hecht may be a bit old for them. I'd just be amazed if Larry had the balls to let Darcy go for someone big...even Gaborik. The last time I was excited about a player the Sabres actually went out and got was Chris Drury. The Sabres have had one of the youngest teams in hockey year in and year out. Buffalo has been the farm team for the NHL for the past 2 years and it sickens me. Quinn's sorry ass doesn't like the idea of negotiating contracts until the final year is over. I know I'm complaining now, but the Sabres could've kept Briere and Campbell if they didn't stick to their dumbass idea of management. :censored:

What about Paille and Hecht? I wonder what they mean by young? Hecht may be a bit old for them. I'd just be amazed if Larry had the balls to let Darcy go for someone big...even Gaborik. The last time I was excited about a player the Sabres actually went out and got was Chris Drury. The Sabres have had one of the youngest teams in hockey year in and year out. Buffalo has been the farm team for the NHL for the past 2 years and it sickens me. Quinn's sorry ass doesn't like the idea of negotiating contracts until the final year is over. I know I'm complaining now, but the Sabres could've kept Briere and Campbell if they didn't stick to their dumbass idea of management. :censored:

Oh, I'd make that trade

I'm not sure if .64 ppg and a -73 qualifies as "super stud player" status.

I'm not sure if .64 ppg and a -73 qualifies as "super stud player" status.

I don't think they should overpay for him either ... in fact, I would hold my breath if they gave up Stafford OR Paille, let alone both ... but to be fair, Jokinen has 251 points in 246 games since the lockout ... he was a -19 last season but was +18 the year before and +14 the year before ... again, not endorsing him as a "super stud" but he is an interesting player if you can get him at the right price.

I don't think they should overpay for him either ... in fact, I would hold my breath if they gave up Stafford OR Paille, let alone both ... but to be fair, Jokinen has 251 points in 246 games since the lockout ... he was a -19 last season but was +18 the year before and +14 the year before ... again, not endorsing him as a "super stud" but he is an interesting player if you can get him at the right price.

On the Fan 590 out of Toronto they were hearing Jokinen could be had for a top ten pick..I find that hard to believe I figured a first rd and a solid player is what he should get, however in light of the retarded trade by the Leafs today everyones stock rose a little..

Archived