R.I.P. Tim Russert

Bmwolf21

Guest Sloth
Yep...wanted to get the post up as quickly as possible, so I left that out. But a huge Buffalo guy, in every sense of the word.

Yeah, you're not kidding. I'm stunned right now. I never thought I'd be hit hard by the death of a TV personality or celeb, but this one stings. :cry:

That is my exact feeling...

The guy was a brilliant political mind and still one of us; pulling for the Bills and Sabres unashamedly so. He made knowing politics...cool. Given his devotion to his father and son, extra painful at this time of the year for his family. Hopefully they'll re-air the little NBC piece on his Dad and South Buffalo that was the precursor to his book. God bless the Russert family.

I posted this on TBD. This was one of the thousands of tributes posted about Tim. I thought it was appropriate.

"One final note about Tim that everybody has heard much about but that I can also attest to. That was his love of Buffalo. Tim could walk into a room of kings and potentates, but if there was someone in the room from Buffalo, anybody, that is whom he wanted to spend time talking to.

As I said, what a loss."

Ross Frommer

New York City

long time lurker, not much of a poster, my entire family besides me was born and raised in buffalo. recently got news of uncle that now has an expiration date, too hear of the one media voice with a buffalo influence passed is sad news indeed.

my spelling is horrible so dont bother giving me #%^$#! about it

long time lurker, not much of a poster, my entire family besides me was born and raised in buffalo. recently got news of uncle that now has an expiration date, too hear of the one media voice with a buffalo influence passed is sad news indeed.

my spelling is horrible so dont bother giving me #%^$#! about it

Welcome in from the darkness... :thumbsup:

I know this is a subject of great debate...

You spell it #$(*&&^% this way, not ]#%^$#! way.. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Guest Sloth
NBC News at 10p Friday night had a great 1-hour special on his life. Tom Brokaw even said in honor of Tim, "Go Bills".

I always feel bad for a devoted fan of the Bills and/or Sabres who did not get to see them win they Super Bowl and/or Stanely Cup. It happened to my grandfather. Hopefully both of the teams will one in our time not only for us, but for the ones who have passed on as well. Buffalonians, not just fans, are special. You can take the kid out of the Buffalo, but you can never take the Buffalo out of the kid.

Truly a sad day when we lose another Bflo native son which has lost so much already through the years.

A brother fan, a Son, a Father, an ambassador for Bflo. :unsure:

Prayers and condolences to his Family and to ours which lost another great fan.

Rest In peace Tim. May that Superbowl and Stanley cup wins be with you where you are now.

There were some posts over at TBD that made reference to Tim using TBD as his homepage. Let's all keep in mind that we may have lost a friend, but we also may have lost a poster to the boards. Also, don't forget, to day is Father's Day. Show some love to your kids and to your dads.

As an NBC employee, I would have to talk to Tim often. And by talk to him I mean I would ask him if he could hear okay and he would say yes. What's funny, is that because he was pretty intense about his job, all the tv producers where I worked were intimidated by him and would tell me not to even check him in. I always did anyways and it was never a problem. I always wanted to give him a "Go Bills" or "Go Sabres" in his ear, but never did out of respect. Now that he is gone I really regret not doing this, because, one, the opportunity will now never present itself again and, two, I know that if I had, he would have stopped and smiled and given me a "Go Bills/Sabres" back and tried to find out my Buffalo connection. From what I saw off-air, he would always take time out to talk Buffalo.

R.I.P.

As an NBC employee, I would have to talk to Tim often. And by talk to him I mean I would ask him if he could hear okay and he would say yes. What's funny, is that because he was pretty intense about his job, all the tv producers where I worked were intimidated by him and would tell me not to even check him in. I always did anyways and it was never a problem. I always wanted to give him a "Go Bills" or "Go Sabres" in his ear, but never did out of respect. Now that he is gone I really regret not doing this, because, one, the opportunity will now never present itself again and, two, I know that if I had, he would have stopped and smiled and given me a "Go Bills/Sabres" back and tried to find out my Buffalo connection. From what I saw off-air, he would always take time out to talk Buffalo.

R.I.P.

Ah, a reality check.

Ah, a reality check.

The thing is, that was only their perception of him. He was actually much more approachable than they thought. A lot of people associate intensity with being an a-hole. He showed that you can be intense and have passion about something, yet still be a good guy.

Looks like they are going to name Route 20 near the stadium after Tim. Seems like a fitting tribute. Didn't realize he met with the commish to try and keep the Bills in Buffalo. His voice will be missed.

It's not hyperbole to say that Timmy from South Buffalo was a critical component in the operation, or at the least the hope of, our free and open democracy. He was the only guy on the national scene who had the requisite combination of intelligence, integrity and everyman-ness (???) to make our leaders address the facts and grapple with reality and then address us in an intelligent fashion regarding what it meant.

A loss for Buffalo, to be sure -- but even a greater loss to the nation.

The thing is, that was only their perception of him. He was actually much more approachable than they thought. A lot of people associate intensity with being an a-hole. He showed that you can be intense and have passion about something, yet still be a good guy.

interesting story, swamp - and i fully believe that people at work perceived russert as super intense and even a little scary.

i had the chance to knock back a few in russert's company on two occasions - both at functions/events relating to his (our shared) faith (one was in d.c. and the other in buffalo) - i get the "intensity" thing, but you'd never meet a more personable and genuine guy either.

It's not hyperbole to say that Timmy from South Buffalo was a critical component in the operation, or at the least the hope of, our free and open democracy. He was the only guy on the national scene who had the requisite combination of intelligence, integrity and everyman-ness (???) to make our leaders address the facts and grapple with reality and then address us in an intelligent fashion regarding what it meant.

A loss for Buffalo, to be sure -- but even a greater loss to the nation.

Excellent post.

Archived