• Hecht
    • Paille
    • Connolly
    • Max
    • Kotalik
    • Kaleta
    • Bernier
    • Ryan

And maybe did it without being a selfish ass? Yeah, that would be something.

without taking sides on that debate insofar as the magic flute is concerned, i have to acknowledge that there appears to at least some risk of gerbe's personality becoming an issue. we'll see.

I don't think I can follow that ...

:ph34r:

As your post time shows, it's only 11:40am.

It appears you follow the "It's noon somewhere" rule

nah - i can't hold onto a metaphor when i'm drinking. (this one may've not made sense (see pipes), but i did hold onto it.)

without taking sides on that debate insofar as the magic flute is concerned, i have to acknowledge that there appears to at least some risk of gerbe's personality becoming an issue. we'll see.

Actually, that was just a blatant shot a Flutie ;)

If Gerbe is effective enough in the NHL that our biggest worry is his personality, I will be happy ... assuming said personality is "cocky little bastard who pisses off opponents" and not "locker room cancer whom teammates want to run in practice"

Actually, that was just a blatant shot a Flutie ;)

If Gerbe is effective enough in the NHL that our biggest worry is his personality, I will be happy ... assuming said personality is "cocky little bastard who pisses off opponents" and not "locker room cancer whom teammates want to run in practice"

gotcha.

there appear to be two categories of people in the world when it comes to flutie: (1) those who think he's a salt of the earth hero who is unfairly maligned by "haters" and (2) those who can't stand the guy because he's a self-centered, self-promoting ass and think the faithful described in "1" are idiots.

gotcha.

there appear to be two categories of people in the world when it comes to flutie: (1) those who think he's a salt of the earth hero who is unfairly maligned by "haters" and (2) those who can't stand the guy because he's a self-centered, self-promoting ass and think the faithful described in "1" are idiots.

Was there ever any evidence to back up the Flutie-bashing? Any coach or teammate to speak on the record? Not taking sides one way or another, just curious. He certainly delivered the goods on the field relative to the parade of loser QBs the Bills have had in the last 12 years.

Idiots is a strong word ... I just disagree with them.

Was there ever any evidence to back up the Flutie-bashing? Any coach or teammate to speak on the record? Not taking sides one way or another, just curious. He certainly delivered the goods on the field relative to the parade of loser QBs the Bills have had in the last 12 years.

No, Flutie is the only one "on the record" who took shots at teammates. If they spoke "on the record," they'd be no better than him ...

And yeah, he won more games than anyone else they had in the last 12 years ... without starting the debate again, that's not saying much. Those who take the Flutie side of the debate seem to feel that he was the ONLY reason they won ANY games and expect the rest of us to hold him in the same regard we do the likes of Jim Kelly. He was a slightly better than average QB in 1998 and very average in 1999, that's all. Compared to the Bills QBs before and after him, Joe Ferguson delivered the goods too, even won a playoff game, yet there is no hero worship.

Trade them all except Hecht, Pomminstein and Kaleta. Hecht's game grew on me as the year went along. He went from why the Hecht is he on this team (two seasons ago) to How the Hecht do we win without him (last season).

I'd like to see a completely different team except Miller, Roy, Pomminstein, Vanish, Kaleta, Hecht and the Rookie Dmen. Sadly, we'll be returning most of them. Some new blood is definitely needed on this team.

How about all those guys + 2 Zambonis for Malkin?

Sorry to keep hijacking the thread. I can't link you to anything where a coach or teammate bashed Flutie -- but I do recall reading over the years reports in the media (not just Buffalo, mind you) that teammates grumbled about his ceaseless self-promotion and willingness to throw other teammates under the bus. I've also heard a number (~6) of stories over the years -- from an event organizer, an employee of a key team sponsor, two waitresses, and the like -- to the effect that the guy is overwhelmingly full of and pleased with himself ... a jerk.

In fairness, I've also heard a couple stories (one from an attendee of a fundraiser, another from a BC alum at a Florida airport) about how he's the nicest guy on the planet.

Like I said, there seems to be two schools of thought when it comes to this guy.

Idiots is a strong word ... I just disagree with them.

You're right - I should've gone with something else there.

Those who take the Flutie side of the debate seem to feel that he was the ONLY reason they won ANY games and expect the rest of us to hold him in the same regard we do the likes of Jim Kelly. He was a slightly better than average QB in 1998 and very average in 1999, that's all. Compared to the Bills QBs before and after him, Joe Ferguson delivered the goods too, even won a playoff game, yet there is no hero worship.

1. You are being very generous describing Flutie as very average in 1999. He flat out sucked and should have been benched.

2. The guy made the Pro-Bowl in 1998. He was better than you are giving him credit for. After the first 3 games of the 1998 season, it looked like the Bills were going to end up moving since the luxury box sales weren't going well enough to meet the targeted threshold. He may have been in the right place at the right time, but the dramatic turnaround of the team's fortunes that year when he came in helped them reach that target. For that he has my gratitude.

Was he as good as Fergie? Not in my opinion. Did he have a bigger impact on the Bills as a franchise? Absolutely.

But then again, that highly rated defensive squad we had those years probably had a hell of a lot more to do with the team winning than he did. The QB always takes the credit/blame, but almost never deserves it.

They were a great defense, and there's no question in my mind about that. But that defense wasn't as good as 97 (with Paup and Spielman) or 99 (Phat Pat and "the package", and Cowart) than in 1998.

ANY!?!?!? Even the almighty Gerbe?!?! I mean, remember, he might have Flutie Magic ... if they did not get that kid signed, fans were going to riot and burn down the arena ... ;)

Sorry, that is another thread ...

Seriously, I don't think they could ever get value for Connolly so I say keep him, plan as if he is not there and whatever he gives you is icing on the cake. I know it is contradictory to say keep him but get rid of Max and Kotalik because it's not like those guys are going to fetch huge talent in trade either ... but they are what they are. If the trade Max and he returns to point-per-game form, I would not regret it ... he needed to move and the Sabres needed the turnover machine gone. He's not the kind of player they need. But if they move Connolly and he stays healthy, I think I would regret it ... Before the concussion he was playing great two-way hockey and he makes such a huge difference on the power play ... they've stuck with him this long, no point in giving him away now. But again, even as I typed all that I recognize it flies in the face of my general philosophy on building the team so .... flame away ...

do u really think Max won't get us much? IMO, He'd b a pretty good addition to some teams out there, certainly more than Koats.

do u really think Max won't get us much? IMO, He'd b a pretty good addition to some teams out there, certainly more than Koats.

Depends on your definition of "much" ... he'll bring something, I just don't think they will be able to trade him for the things they need to fill the holes next season ... a good 2-way center or physical d-man who can still fit the sytem, etc. ... like I said, he does have the talent and upside to be attractive to some teams, but we're probably looking at picks/prospects. Small market teams can always use those.

I think we should keep him. He's always been faster than his brain. Now that he is getting older, and his hands and feet are getting slower, maybe he'll be more in sync and lose the puck less often. :D

Depends on your definition of "much" ... he'll bring something, I just don't think they will be able to trade him for the things they need to fill the holes next season ... a good 2-way center or physical d-man who can still fit the sytem, etc. ... like I said, he does have the talent and upside to be attractive to some teams, but we're probably looking at picks/prospects. Small market teams can always use those.

So it comes down 2 getting more picks early or having 2 package him with (say, Ryan) someone 2 get a center or big D?

I think we should keep him. He's always been faster than his brain. Now that he is getting older, and his hands and feet are getting slower, maybe he'll be more in sync and lose the puck less often. :D

I'll admit it if I'm wrong, but how about we take a little piece of Max's brain out :death: . You know, just enough for him to get back that speed-to-brain ratio he used to have?

Archived