Pominville's Worth

stenbaro

The market has changed since the Roy deal ... do you really think he will take Roy money when jeff Carter got more for doing less? $7 mill might be high buy Roy money is low.

Absolutely. Roy is bargain basement. no dis-respect to Derek. But, I have alot more respect for Derek Roy signing quick without issue and exceding expectations :thumbsup:

I really dont like the direction this thread is going :cry: . We are talking about a playoff bubble team shelling out franchise contracts to Vanek, Roy, Miller & Pominville; with Pominville being the highest!?! nuts I tell ya. In the big picture, does or can everyone stay? IMO, if my hand was forced I trade Miller. sorry.

Absolutely. Roy is bargain basement. no dis-respect to Derek. But, I have alot more respect for Derek Roy signing quick without issue and exceding expectations :thumbsup:

Who said anything about a "franchise" contract for Pominville? $5 million a year is not franchise money anymore ... there are 56 guys whose cap number is over $5 million now. And really, given that they are not up against the cap, Vanek's $6.4 million is actual salary after next season is not even that bad.

Also, first you listed Roy in "franchise" contracts, then called him "bargain basement" ... can't be both. His was just a good deal for both sides, no reason they can't get the same thing done with Pominville, but it will cost more because salaries escalated and Pominville had a breakout year Roy had not when he signed his. But won't be a "franchise" deal.

I realize that I got a rise out of this abit. I guess that I cant wrap my mind around some of these numbers. After all these guys, I guess it's Paille, Stafford talk?

Comparing Paille & Stafford to what Pominville has done the last two years? :blink: :blink:

Comparing Paille & Stafford to what Pominville has done the last two years? :blink: :blink:

Sure ...

Pominville

2007-08 - 82GP, 27G, 53A, 80P, +16

2006-07 - 82GP, 34G, 34A, 68P, +25

Total - 164GP, 61G, 87A, 148P, +41

Stafford+Paille

2007-08 - 141GP, 35G, 38A, 73P, +12

2006-07 - 70GP, 16G, 22A, 38P, +10

Total - 211GP, 46G, 60A, 106P, +22

What a slacker Jason is, playing only 164 games to Drew/Danny's 211. ;)

Guest Sloth

Two words can sum up Buffalo's problem w/ their reputation w/ players in the NHL. JOB SECURITY! Buffalo tends to stay away from deals that have a player in town for 5+ years. Sure, Buffalo may be spending as much money as most teams in the NHL, but they are not spending it wisely. Offer Pomminstein 6 years, if not more, and Miller 5.

This should help in establishing Pominville's value.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243573&lid...s=secStory_main

Horcoff is four years older and would be UFA next year, but his stats aren't quite as good as Pominville.

My guess 3 years $4.5 or 6 years $5.25.

Edmonton is a team that seems to pay premium to keep talent from bolting.

Good comparable, but I wonder who was really a comparable for Horcoff.

That is a fat contract for a very talented player that doesn't seem to play to potential.

Edmonton is a team that seems to pay premium to keep talent from bolting.

Good comparable, but I wonder who was really a comparable for Horcoff.

That is a fat contract for a very talented player that doesn't seem to play to potential.

I would guess a contract like Ribiero's was a barometer for Horcoff's deal. I agree that it seems a bit high for a guy coming off a season cut short by injury that followed a dreadful season. Its has to suck to pay the $7.2 million that Edmonton paid for the last two years. Buffalo wouldn't know anything about that, would they?

Finally, the longer they take to sign Pominville, the better the chances that someone gives a player an even more ridiculous contract thus inflating the market. It really wouldn't surprise me to see something announced Monday. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me to see them do nothing.

I would guess a contract like Ribiero's was a barometer for Horcoff's deal. I agree that it seems a bit high for a guy coming off a season cut short by injury that followed a dreadful season. Its has to suck to pay the $7.2 million that Edmonton paid for the last two years. Buffalo wouldn't know anything about that, would they?

Finally, the longer they take to sign Pominville, the better the chances that someone gives a player an even more ridiculous contract thus inflating the market. It really wouldn't surprise me to see something announced Monday. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me to see them do nothing.

They're in a spot right now though where if they do want Ryan Miller to stick around, he needs to be the top priority. The goalie list for next season is pretty thin. If they want him, they can't let him hit that market. I'd say it looks even thinner than this year's crop of defensemen.

But then again, I think Pominville is in a situation right now where it is far more appealing to work out that long term deal than it is for Miller. I think he stands to gain more right now than Miller. Your last two sentences pretty much sum it up though. I have no clue what to expect either.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sloth
With Bouchard and Lupul's contracts done, it would seem that Pominville should fall right into the $4.5 to 5.25 per year range. I would think this should be done by the end of next week if both sides are ready to get serious.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=244455&lid...=headlines_main

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=243748

I hoping w/ Miller's eagerness to sign a quick cap space saving contract, his feelings about management, and his hope of keeping the key players in town will help get Pomminstein to sign a home town discount contract. It'd be great if Pomminstein signed for less than 4.5.

I hoping w/ Miller's eagerness to sign a quick cap space saving contract, his feelings about management, and his hope of keeping the key players in town will help get Pomminstein to sign a home town discount contract. It'd be great if Pomminstein signed for less than 4.5.

I'd be shocked if he signs for less then $4.5.

Guest Sloth
I agree.. He's looking at the fat side of 5M..

I cannot see management signing him for more than 5 million. Actually, I don't think they'll hit 5 million. At the most, management will probably go w/ 4.75. To be honest, I think 4.75 is too much. 4.5 fits the numbers he has put up. I believe he'd take that if Buffalo offers him a 5, I'd prefer 6, year deal. Players want to remain in a city for an extended period of time. Players have shown they'll play less per year if it's long term. If you want a guy for 3 years or less, you'll have to pay more per year. Pomminstein is a proven player and they don't need to make the same mistakes they have made before.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone hear any more if the Sabres are still trying to extend Jason?

Last I heard, and I totally forgot where I read this, but I read that we should expect an announcement of an extension by Labor Day Weekend. That seems reasonable as Darcy continues to work on signing players to the AHL roster and was working on Teppo until Friday. So, assuming negotiations take a couple of weeks, which I find to be reasonable, I could see Pominville extended by Labor Day weekend if not sooner. We'll see, and please don't ask me for the source cause I have totally forgotten where I saw that bit, but it could very well have been Garth from Hockeybuzz, which has totally destroyed the validity of anything I just wrote above, which I readily admit to.

Last I heard, and I totally forgot where I read this, but I read that we should expect an announcement of an extension by Labor Day Weekend. That seems reasonable as Darcy continues to work on signing players to the AHL roster and was working on Teppo until Friday. So, assuming negotiations take a couple of weeks, which I find to be reasonable, I could see Pominville extended by Labor Day weekend if not sooner. We'll see, and please don't ask me for the source cause I have totally forgotten where I saw that bit, but it could very well have been Garth from Hockeybuzz, which has totally destroyed the validity of anything I just wrote above, which I readily admit to.

This has my nomination for the greatest post ever made.

It's unflappable.

Archived