Low-balling Gerbe?

frisky

There are a lot of possible reasons the kid has not signed yet ... yes, the Sabres jerking him around may be one of them. Or the kid may just want to go back to school ... or he hasn't decided yet ... is it totally inconceivable that the Sabres offered the entry level max and the kid is thinking about it?

I think no matter if Gerbe stays at BC for another year or goes pro this year, I believe he is still going to need to spend at least some time in the AHL(as little as a 1/2 season or on the high side, 2 seasons).

I think no matter if Gerbe stays at BC for another year or goes pro this year, I believe he is still going to need to spend at least some time in the AHL(as little as a 1/2 season or on the high side, 2 seasons).

I hear ya, but somehow I doubt Gerbe feels that way. But even if he does realize it, he may think another year at BC means one year in the minors instead of two. Who knows, I just think it's too early to be stressing about this kid.

This doesn't partain to Gerbe directly, but Darcy basically asked Quinn publicly what type of team is he allowed to build. A Stanley Cup contender or a team for making profit/entertainment. Quinn has focked things up in the past and he's doing it again. You can try say he played a role in the 2 ECF's, but I put all of that on Lindy and Darcy. The dismantling of the team is all Quinn. I'm not sure if any franchise has gone from one end of the spectrum to other in such a short period of time.

Is there any fact or proof to base this on???????

When did Darcy ever PUBLICALLY ask Quinn if he is to build a Cup Contender or a team for profit/entertainment?

How exactly did Quinn mess up the team originally, and how is he doing it now? Please state the evidence and facts on what he is doing, and not just your opinion

So now Lindy and Darcy get credit for anything good that happens, but Quinn is the fall guy for all that is wrong? How is it that the guy who does the negotiating and is in charge of assmebling the team could continue to work for them, and sign an extension while being controled by a puppet master so evil as Quinn who only screws things up and makes him look bad?

I hear ya, but somehow I doubt Gerbe feels that way. But even if he does realize it, he may think another year at BC means one year in the minors instead of two. Who knows, I just think it's too early to be stressing about this kid.

If he thinks that way he is either an idiot or comes from loaded parents, cause if the choice for me was to stay in school to continue playing university hockey, or sign an NHL contract and have to play a year or 2 in the minors, I think I will take the playing gig, instead of risking my health playing for free for another year.

He is obviously going to have to play sometime in the minors before going to the NHL. Has any player made the jump from college/university to the NHL and skip the minors completly?

The problem isn't that the Sabres want him in the minors ASAP so that he can develop and play for them right away, its that he is becoming a highly regarded prospect, and that if he isn't signed by next summer, he is no longer the Sabres property, so the original writer feels they should be focused on getting a deal done now, instead of risking losing him for nothing. Right now Buffalo has his rights, but if he has another great year, who's to say he will be so willing to just sign a deal with Buffalo and not hold out until he can become a FA and sign where ever he wants?

The FO's problem recently have been that they are too willing to wait til the last minute to get stuff done, and are pro-active in getting things done.

He is obviously going to have to play sometime in the minors before going to the NHL. Has any player made the jump from college/university to the NHL and skip the minors completly?

The answer is yes, but there are different types of players that fit that role. The first is the guy who leaves school early and never sets a foot in the AHL. Phil Kessel is the most recent example that comes to mind immediately. Then there are the guys who finish out their entire 4 years in school and then don't spend a day in the AHL. Drury did that. I'm sure we could produce a long list of players that fall into either of these categories.

edit: As for your point about how you would take the money instead of staying in school. A desire to stay in school does not make him an idiot. How many times has that exact scenario played out in every major professional sport? He wouldn't be the first to do it and he definitely won't be the last.

edit: As for your point about how you would take the money instead of staying in school. A desire to stay in school does not make him an idiot. How many times has that exact scenario played out in every major professional sport? He wouldn't be the first to do it and he definitely won't be the last.

Exactly ... if the argument is that he'd be dumb to go back to school when he can make money to play, then logically the Sabres have some leverage and should not just max him out because they are the only ones he can get paid to play for ... mind you, I'm not saying I believe this ... I'm just saying you can't call him stupid for going back to school. More and more guys are going straight from college to the NHL every year, including last year's NCAA leading scorer Hensick ... but he played only 31 games with the Avs and played 4 years in college. Maybe Gerbe is looking at this season as a chance to play his senior year, enjoy being THE guy and maybe skip the AHL ...

I understand your point that he is a hot prospect right now, but they can only do so much to sign him ... there is a max offer, and if he wants to enjoy his senior year and hit the market, it's out of their hands. Besides, it's just surprising to me the racket over this kid because this board is usually about being impatient and wanting to know what they can do to win NOW ... all of a sudden we are worrying about a guy who everyone seems to agree will NOT impact next year's team and MAY not even be anything special because of his size.

edit: As for your point about how you would take the money instead of staying in school. A desire to stay in school does not make him an idiot.

I'm not sure about this one, especially if he chose to invest the money. He could end up with a blown knee or something else catastrophic. I assume he would sign a multi-year deal, and an AHL contract is guaranteed. Even if his career ended by injury in the AHL he'd still see close to $200k...

Exactly ... if the argument is that he'd be dumb to go back to school when he can make money to play, then logically the Sabres have some leverage and should not just max him out because they are the only ones he can get paid to play for ... mind you, I'm not saying I believe this ... I'm just saying you can't call him stupid for going back to school. More and more guys are going straight from college to the NHL every year, including last year's NCAA leading scorer Hensick ... but he played only 31 games with the Avs and played 4 years in college. Maybe Gerbe is looking at this season as a chance to play his senior year, enjoy being THE guy and maybe skip the AHL ...

I understand your point that he is a hot prospect right now, but they can only do so much to sign him ... there is a max offer, and if he wants to enjoy his senior year and hit the market, it's out of their hands. Besides, it's just surprising to me the racket over this kid because this board is usually about being impatient and wanting to know what they can do to win NOW ... all of a sudden we are worrying about a guy who everyone seems to agree will NOT impact next year's team and MAY not even be anything special because of his size.

But the point is, they don't have any other time to worry about this. Its not like people are saying they should be worrying about him now with 2-3 years of eligibility left, he has one year left, letting him go to his final year is taking a big risk because it just means he is closer to being able to walk for nothing, and the Sabres yet agin losing someone because they waited til the last minute.

Now I'm not saying he should just take whatever deal the Sabres are offering, and holding out saying you are going to play one more year in school can give him alot of leverage, but if the Sabres are offering him a contract at around the maximum, he is stupid for not taking it because theres not much else he can achieve where he is at now, besides just trying to stroke his own ego and let it grow by being "the man" in college again.

From what I have read on him, he seems like he is the kind of guy who thrives on pushing himself to be better and I don't think he is the type to want to just stay put to bask in the spotlight when he can continue to challenge himself.

I disagree that this should be the teams biggest concern this offseason though, they have much bigger things to worry about, but this should be on the list of important things to do this offseason

I'm not sure about this one, especially if he chose to invest the money. He could end up with a blown knee or something else catastrophic. I assume he would sign a multi-year deal, and an AHL contract is guaranteed. Even if his career ended by injury in the AHL he'd still see close to $200k...

I could respect the decision to stay if it was solely on the reasoning of finishing his education, then I would agree that my calling him an idiot is unwarranted, but if its just to continue playing hockey and being "the man" in college hockey, yes he is an idiot.

If he signs this year with the Sabres, chances are he'll make $62,000 on a 2 way in the NHL for the next year.

If he waits a year, he can shop his UFA status, he could conceivably hold out for a 1-way and avoid all the entry contract stuff.

I am pretty sure some team would give him a 1-way for at least the league min which would guarantee him $525,000 which is twice as much as $124,000 for two years in the AHL. So this isn't such a gamble if he stays in school.

If he signs this year with the Sabres, chances are he'll make $62,000 on a 2 way in the NHL for the next year.

If he waits a year, he can shop his UFA status, he could conceivably hold out for a 1-way and avoid all the entry contract stuff.

I am pretty sure some team would give him a 1-way for at least the league min which would guarantee him $525,000 which is twice as much as $124,000 for two years in the AHL. So this isn't such a gamble if he stays in school.

So for him, it would be better to stay in school and risk an injury playing for free and not signing with the Sabres, and becoming an UFA, but for the Sabres, its better to try and get him signed now

Not unless he's older than I believe he. All players under the age of 25 signing their 1st NHL contract are put into the entry system for at least 1 year.

He'd be looking at a 3 year contract at $62.5K a year , assuming he could get the maximum level in the AHL portion of his two way contract. When compared to the last year of his free education, not to mention his shot at Flutie status like I mentioned earlier. It's really not that much of a risk.

He's putting far less money at risk than they typical basketball or football player who doesn't opt for the draft.

Not unless he's older than I believe he. All players under the age of 25 signing their 1st NHL contract are put into the entry system for at least 1 year.

You're right. I thought it was just the compensation limits, but reading the CBA it is automatically a 2-way.

That helps Buffalo actually.

You're right. I thought it was just the compensation limits, but reading the CBA it is automatically a 2-way.

That helps Buffalo actually.

What about the school? Isn't there some obligation on the player's part to let the school know as early as possible?

What about the school? Isn't there some obligation on the player's part to let the school know as early as possible?

Other than a some kind of moral obligation, I don't think there is one. They can't keep you in school.

If anything, the coach probably told him to let him know once all the National Letters of Intent are in.

Add Kris Baker of Sabresprospects.com to the people that have heard that money is the holdup with Kennedy. I'm sure that Bucky probably just e-mailed everyone.

To be fair, he also questions whether Gerbe wants to come out. My only question left to that, if he doesn't, why doesn't he just announce that he is staying?

Add Kris Baker of Sabresprospects.com to the people that have heard that money is the holdup with Kennedy. I'm sure that Bucky probably just e-mailed everyone.

To be fair, he also questions whether Gerbe wants to come out. My only question left to that, if he doesn't, why doesn't he just announce that he is staying?

I'd love to see what Kennedy wants. He can't be asking for a max deal because he's not worth it and he knows it. Paille-MacArthur money should be more than enough, especially since they were far more hyped when we signed them.

Guest Sloth
Is there any fact or proof to base this on???????

When did Darcy ever PUBLICALLY ask Quinn if he is to build a Cup Contender or a team for profit/entertainment?

How exactly did Quinn mess up the team originally, and how is he doing it now? Please state the evidence and facts on what he is doing, and not just your opinion

So now Lindy and Darcy get credit for anything good that happens, but Quinn is the fall guy for all that is wrong? How is it that the guy who does the negotiating and is in charge of assmebling the team could continue to work for them, and sign an extension while being controled by a puppet master so evil as Quinn who only screws things up and makes him look bad?

Lindy and Darcy did play a HUGE role in the development of the 05/06 and 06/07 teams. During the lockout, the two of them went to a NUMBER of minor league games and scouted players they felt would make the team they already had better for the "new" NHL.

I can't remember the date, but Darcy did question Quinn ON air. Ever watch the news?

Lindy and Darcy did play a HUGE role in the development of the 05/06 and 06/07 teams. During the lockout, the two of them went to a NUMBER of minor league games and scouted players they felt would make the team they already had better for the "new" NHL.

I can't remember the date, but Darcy did question Quinn ON air. Ever watch the news?

So because Darcy and Lindy scouted some minor league games, they are the reason for the Sabres success and Quinn is the root of all evil now?

And I have never heard Darcy question Quinn ON AIR, only Quinn mentioning during the Press Conference that Darcy asked him at the end of the season what the direction of the team would be. And that could be anything, from weither they continue with the same guys and continue to build from within, weither they go for it all again next year and deal for some big names, weither they blow it all up and start over again, etc, etc, etc

I'm sure Quinn is a moron and a complete douche, but I won't blame all the problems on him and say that he is holding back Regier, and that Darcy is this great NHL GM.

So because Darcy and Lindy scouted some minor league games, they are the reason for the Sabres success and Quinn is the root of all evil now?

And I have never heard Darcy question Quinn ON AIR, only Quinn mentioning during the Press Conference that Darcy asked him at the end of the season what the direction of the team would be. And that could be anything, from weither they continue with the same guys and continue to build from within, weither they go for it all again next year and deal for some big names, weither they blow it all up and start over again, etc, etc, etc

I'm sure Quinn is a moron and a complete douche, but I won't blame all the problems on him and say that he is holding back Regier, and that Darcy is this great NHL GM.

He did not question the direction, he questioned the "goal" which in my mind is a big distinction and troubling that after all this time that would be a question.

That being said, I agree that there are some who give Reiger too much of a free pass.

As far as spending the lock out doing nothing but scouting, after all that time Reiger picked Zagrapan number 1 and decided that Pominville wouldn't make it in the "new" NHL and put him on waivers in order to keep Andrew Peters.

Why are we getting all worked up over Gerbe? I know he is good in college and might make it in the NHL, but he IS 5'5" and 165 lbs! I don't care how talented you are, that is small for the NHL. We are upset because the Sabres did not offer the max amount?

Why are we getting all worked up over Gerbe? I know he is good in college and might make it in the NHL, but he IS 5'5" and 165 lbs! I don't care how talented you are, that is small for the NHL. We are upset because the Sabres did not offer the max amount?

Size doesn't matter if you have the talent to play. Theo Fleury, Briere, both were little guys that could play, even though they were deemed to be too small. If size matters so much, why did Darcy draft him? Its not like he shrunk after being drafted. (or was it Quinns decision to draft him?)

Size doesn't matter if you have the talent to play. Theo Fleury, Briere, both were little guys that could play, even though they were deemed to be too small. If size matters so much, why did Darcy draft him? Its not like he shrunk after being drafted. (or was it Quinns decision to draft him?)

I understand he could play, but guys that size, Briere and Fleury, do not come along very often. And I'm not going to get in to the Regier, Quinn argument you love so much!! :D

Guest Sloth
I understand he could play, but guys that size, Briere and Fleury, do not come along very often. And I'm not going to get in to the Regier, Quinn argument you love so much!! :D

But they do come along. If it is a gamble, Buffalo should take it. I am hoping Gerbe is in the Sabres farm system this year. Did any of you expect Roy to have the season he had? I thought he'd play decent, but he surpassed my expectations tremendously.

Archived