Sporting News

Guest Sloth

Guest Sloth

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=399149

Umm...according to this article, the Sabres will allow Max to walk this summer? This has to be false information. Max has 1 year left on his contract and Buffalo can get something in return via trade. I hope the people has Sporting News simply didn't explain the entire situation. :blink:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=399149

Umm...according to this article, the Sabres will allow Max to walk this summer? This has to be false information. Max has 1 year left on his contract and Buffalo can get something in return via trade. I hope the people has Sporting News simply didn't explain the entire situation. :blink:

"Staff writers" probably equals an intern that is an English major and can tell you everything about the Billikens backcourt and the Cardinals pitching rotation.

What would it cost the Sabres just to let Max go? It may be hard to find anyone who wants him at the $3.5 million price tag.

Taro T would probably know this, but I think it is 2/3 of his remaining salary paid over 2 years (in Max's case) Or he could be waived in which case they are responsible for 1/2 but only if someone picks him up otherwise it is 100%.

I am really not sure what would happen if he refused to report to a minor league affiliate.

I think he could be suspended and then they would pay nothing.

Somehow I don't see Max reporting to a minor league team, he probably has options in the Russian Superleague.

He'll get traded. I'm sure the person writing the piece had the correct result, as in the Sabres are going to get rid of him, but failed to research it enough to find out how he'll have to be rid of.

...and another thing. Some GM will want to trade for him. 3.5 mill isn't a deal breaker.

Regier will easily be able to sell Max's poor season to injuries and the turmoil left after CD and DB's departures.

At 3.5 mill. plenty of teams will find him a steal, especially since he'll likely tear up the league, as he's in a contract year.

That said, I've seen enough lunacy from Larry the Moron not to be shocked if they decide to buy him out. Not saying it would make sense, but hey - Management rarely does.

Sell him out in the Western Conference; they seem to like our speedy, spinning players. Maybe we can trade him for a physical defenseman, which are plentiful out there.

The Canucks could probably use some speed and don't have much going on at right wing.

CPA's in British Columbia are crunching his clean entry to offside ratio as we speak.

Taro T would probably know this, but I think it is 2/3 of his remaining salary paid over 2 years (in Max's case) Or he could be waived in which case they are responsible for 1/2 but only if someone picks him up otherwise it is 100%.

I am really not sure what would happen if he refused to report to a minor league affiliate.

Somehow I don't see Max reporting to a minor league team, he probably has options in the Russian Superleague.

As you said, Taro will probably know better, but i was surprised to learn that the buy out is predicated by age, and if Max falls below the cutoff, the buy out is only 1/3 over 2 years.

That being said, Washington may be interested in reuniting him with Ovechkin, although I think Darcy will try to ship him out west.

If our management wasn't so angry with Kevin Lowe, Edmonton would be a great place for him. Imagine if Max turned around next year and Rexall Place was his home ice? He'd probably be able to skate faster on that ice than HSBC's ice. I think Max would be a good playmaker for Edmonton but we won't trade with them.

If our management wasn't so angry with Kevin Lowe, Edmonton would be a great place for him. Imagine if Max turned around next year and Rexall Place was his home ice? He'd probably be able to skate faster on that ice than HSBC's ice. I think Max would be a good playmaker for Edmonton but we won't trade with them.

The relationship with EDM is fine, it was just business. More importantly is what do or can we get out of this?

The relationship with EDM is fine, it was just business. More importantly is what do or can we get out of this?

I wonder about that. There was a lot of talk before Clarke fired the first RFA shot that other GMs would blackball GMs who tried to poach their RFAs. I could see Quinny's ego being big enough to tell Lowe to eff off if he called to try to work a deal.

All that being said, I'd send Max out there to punish the Oilers. "Here, enjoy this headcase who passes when he feels like it, plays defense once in a blue moon, turns the puck over like the most accomplished philanthropist, and continually puts his linemates offsides on the rush."

I wonder about that. There was a lot of talk before Clarke fired the first RFA shot that other GMs would blackball GMs who tried to poach their RFAs. I could see Quinny's ego being big enough to tell Lowe to eff off if he called to try to work a deal.

All that being said, I'd send Max out there to punish the Oilers. "Here, enjoy this headcase who passes when he feels like it, plays defense once in a blue moon, turns the puck over like the most accomplished philanthropist, and continually puts his linemates offsides on the rush."

:lol:

"Staff writers" probably equals an intern that is an English major and can tell you everything about the Billikens backcourt and the Cardinals pitching rotation.

Actually, it's worse ... Sporting News is moving its headquarters to North Carolina ... I know this because my company just hired one of their writers who did not want to move ... So not only are they probably losing some good people, from a hockey coverage standpoint they have moved to a much lesser hockey town.

When releasing a player, they'd put him through waivers initially, and if no one claims him then they'd release him. If someone claims him, the club gets a nominal payment and the player's contract transfers to the claiming team.

The 50% deal is for players claimed on call-up waivers. If you send a player that is either on a 1 way contract or a 2 way deal with a very large minor league salary down to the minors and then try to bring him back up later, then he has to go through call-up waivers and if he is claimed the team that loses him will have to pay 50% of his salary.

If the Sabres didn't think Max would report to Ra-cha-portland and wanted to get rid of him, I'm pretty sure they'd be able to get off the hook by his not reporting to a minor league assignment. I'm sure they'd be off the hook as far as paying him is concerned, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't face the cap hit either. (I haven't looked at that section of the CBA in a while, so I'm not positive on that.)

As you said, Taro will probably know better, but i was surprised to learn that the buy out is predicated by age, and if Max falls below the cutoff, the buy out is only 1/3 over 2 years.

That being said, Washington may be interested in reuniting him with Ovechkin, although I think Darcy will try to ship him out west.

The age cutoff is 26. I'm not certain if any players falling under that cutoff have been released without assignment to the minors. Maybe there's a player or 2, but I haven't followed the waiver wire closely this past season and a half to say for certain.

The Canucks could probably use some speed and don't have much going on at right wing.

CPA's in British Columbia are crunching his clean entry to offside ratio as we speak.

Tell 'em to factor in the "skate parallel to the blueline and put your linemates offside as they wonder just what the hell you are going to do next" scenario as well.

Archived