What does this mean for the Amerks?

Pullup Champ

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...RTS02/803280347

Most of the issue has been between Donner and the Sabres organization.

It seems like a very small light for talks to resume.

Other than the rumored relationship between the Sab's and Portland (which Portland claims not to want),

Are there any other alternatives?

Love the one comment in the messages section:

What a deal! The idiot who put 3 franchises on the brink of extinction, is the one who keeps his minority ownership in the team? What kind of blockhead is this Canadian investor anyway? This speaks volumes about the future of the Amerks. This won't last- not with Donner still involved. CLEAN HOUSE, Styres! And, Styres' financial fluidity is based on cigarette sales? How long before the BC Arena becomes a smokestack again?

Love the one comment in the messages section:

What a deal! The idiot who put 3 franchises on the brink of extinction, is the one who keeps his minority ownership in the team? What kind of blockhead is this Canadian investor anyway? This speaks volumes about the future of the Amerks. This won't last- not with Donner still involved. CLEAN HOUSE, Styres! And, Styres' financial fluidity is based on cigarette sales? How long before the BC Arena becomes a smokestack again?

Well said. As long as Donner's involved, the Sabres won't be.

Steve Donner is a big bloated POS and should be thrown out the back doors of Blue Cross Arena into the Genesee. He has single handedly destroyed Rochester sports. If Styres does become majority partner I hope there is some way he can get Donner out of the picture. Donner is the one and only reason the affiliation between Roch and Buff is over with. I hope Styres tries talking to LQ about keeping the teams together. It's obviously smart business for both sides. How much do the spend shuffling players between the two cities right now, maybe some gas money? If Roch goes with Fla and Buff goes with Portland, those 70 minute car rides just turned into plane trips. I am pretty sure jet fuel is more expensive than auto fuel. I also believe Donner is the whole reason TG has backed out. He want's to be involved with nothing fat boy is still a part of.

It will be interesting to see how the Rhino's will be run this season with the new owner.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the deal was approved by the AHL, but sadly Donner still maintains a minority (40%) stake. Hopefully that means this new guy handles all the day-to-day stuff, like dealing with potential parent clubs.

LINK

Highlights:

The American Hockey League today granted approval of the majority sale of the Rochester Americans to Canadian entrepreneur Curt Styres.

Styres, 48 and from Ohsweken, Ontario, will buy 60 percent of the Amerks and Rochester Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League. The NLL hasn?t met to vote.

Amerks president Steve Donner will maintain his 40 percent ownership share.

-snip-

No price was revealed, but Styres' investment for his ownership share and operating capital in both franchises will likely exceed $6.5 million.

Styres said that while the AHL has approved transfer of the franchise, ?no money has changed hands yet. That?s when the deal is finished.? He said he can foresee no reason that would cause the deal to collapse and the closing date is set for June 15.

Styres wouldn?t discuss what role Donner will play in day-to-day operations.

?We?ll make comment on that when the time is right,? Styres said.

City of Rochester officials said last month that they won?t offer a new lease to the Amerks if Donner stays in a position of operational control.

Looks like the deal was approved by the AHL, but sadly Donner still maintains a minority (40%) stake. Hopefully that means this new guy handles all the day-to-day stuff, like dealing with potential parent clubs.

LINK

Highlights:

The American Hockey League today granted approval of the majority sale of the Rochester Americans to Canadian entrepreneur Curt Styres.

Styres, 48 and from Ohsweken, Ontario, will buy 60 percent of the Amerks and Rochester Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League. The NLL hasn?t met to vote.

Amerks president Steve Donner will maintain his 40 percent ownership share.

-snip-

No price was revealed, but Styres' investment for his ownership share and operating capital in both franchises will likely exceed $6.5 million.

Styres said that while the AHL has approved transfer of the franchise, ?no money has changed hands yet. That?s when the deal is finished.? He said he can foresee no reason that would cause the deal to collapse and the closing date is set for June 15.

Styres wouldn?t discuss what role Donner will play in day-to-day operations.

?We?ll make comment on that when the time is right,? Styres said.

City of Rochester officials said last month that they won?t offer a new lease to the Amerks if Donner stays in a position of operational control.

It'll be interesting to see what Duffy has to say about this and the lease after he gets back from Ireland.

It'll be interesting to see what Duffy has to say about this and the lease after he gets back from Ireland.

Found this in another article:

Rochester Mayor Bob Duffy has said the city is not interested in negotiating a new lease for the arena if Donner is "anything other than a non-controlling minority owner."

The mayor was headed back to Rochester from his Sister Cities trip to Ireland Tuesday. He said wants to review the facts of the transaction before commenting further.

"I look forward to meeting Mr. Styres in the near future," Duffy said in a prepared written statement released by the city.

Sounds like someone wants assurances that the city won't be dealing with Donner and is (rightfully) still hesitant about him being anything more than a minority owner (read: investor.)

I won't attend an Amerks game until the Sabres are affiliated with them. I think people are really underestimating the impact of this breakup.

Off topic, but how is the relocation going? I bet its a lot more work then you imagined but its worth every minute.

Off topic, but how is the relocation going? I bet its a lot more work then you imagined but its worth every minute.

Things accomplished: Painted living room, dining room, 2 bedrooms; moved all our crap, unpacked 80% of our crap; changed all light switch covers and outlet covers; bought grill and mower on craigslist, bought all new kitchen appliances; bought tile and grout for kitchen; set up all our services (trash, water, gas & electric, etc...); put together new computer desk; replaced all exterior dead blots and door locks; hung chandelier; installed new mailbox; mowed lawn for first time; busted out my new battery powered Black & Decker weed wacker; scrubbed off all moss and plants in between bricks on sidewalk; put together closet organizer; and many other things that escape my brain right now.

Things to accomplish: Remove old stove, dishwasher and washing machine from premises; bring old fridge down stairs (where the beer's going), tear up floor in kitchen; paint guest room, kitchen and hallway; all landscaping; change kitchen sinks; remove sliding glass doors in front of french doors, aquire more asian themed decor for our living room; remove bathroom wallpaper; and many other things that escape my brain right now.

It has been frustrating, dangerous (almost burnt house down changing outlet covers), and lastly quite enjoyable. :)

Things accomplished: Painted living room, dining room, 2 bedrooms; moved all our crap, unpacked 80% of our crap; changed all light switch covers and outlet covers; bought grill and mower on craigslist, bought all new kitchen appliances; bought tile and grout for kitchen; set up all our services (trash, water, gas & electric, etc...); put together new computer desk; replaced all exterior dead blots and door locks; hung chandelier; installed new mailbox; mowed lawn for first time; busted out my new battery powered Black & Decker weed wacker; scrubbed off all moss and plants in between bricks on sidewalk; put together closet organizer; and many other things that escape my brain right now.

Things to accomplish: Remove old stove, dishwasher and washing machine from premises; bring old fridge down stairs (where the beer's going), tear up floor in kitchen; paint guest room, kitchen and hallway; all landscaping; change kitchen sinks; remove sliding glass doors in front of french doors, aquire more asian themed decor for our living room; remove bathroom wallpaper; and many other things that escape my brain right now.

It has been frustrating, dangerous (almost burnt house down changing outlet covers), and lastly quite enjoyable. :)

Excellent. Maybe in deference to you and all you have yet to do, I'll only posts happy thoughts for the rest of the week.

The bridges have been burned. As long as Donner is involved, the Sabres will be looking elsewhere. It really is a shame. Rochester has a good fan base. The proximity of the two cities could not be better, not only for the Sabres in terms of scouting & shuffling their prospects but also fans from both cities who want to see the other team in action. Amerks fans who want to come to Buffalo and see the players that grew up before their eyes and Buffalo fans who want to keep tabs on the Sabres of tomorrow.

FU Donner! :angry:

The timing is the worst part of the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Donner completely out of the picture after some time passes. Unfortunately, by that point both teams will be in the middle of deals with different organizations and will have to wait before they can get even talk about getting back together.

It appears that the following are our options for 08-09 AHL season:

1) Portland, Maine (IF the Ducks get out of their agreement and find a franchise closer to California)

2) Des Moines, Iowa (rumored to be getting Ducks affiliate if they leave Portland)

3) Hershey, PA (close enough to BUF to make sense if Caps don't extend agreement)

4) Hamilton, ON (would make a ton of sense IF Habs don't extend affiliation)

I wonder where Amerks6 is these days, to defend Steve Donner and his savvy business decisions?

You know, just to make sure the Amerks stay competitive, and all.

Oh I'm here. Had to re-register but I still lurk.

Please I hope everyone continues to rip on Donner. I remember last time I posted around here everyone was laughing at the "mystery investor". Well look how that has turned out. Donner is going to come out smelling like a rose, on the Amerks side at least. He'll get his new owner, his new lease and his single parent.

As for competitiveness, you can pretty much make out most of the Sabres' farm club roster for next season, and it doesn't look promising.

Oh I'm here. Had to re-register but I still lurk.

Please I hope everyone continues to rip on Donner. I remember last time I posted around here everyone was laughing at the "mystery investor". Well look how that has turned out. Donner is going to come out smelling like a rose, on the Amerks side at least. He'll get his new owner, his new lease and his single parent.

As for competitiveness, you can pretty much make out most of the Sabres' farm club roster for next season, and it doesn't look promising.

:rolleyes:

There is a HUGE difference between "investor" and "new majority owner."

The City says they aren't getting a lease with Donner involved in the day-to-day operations. Nothing I've seen has indicated anything to the contrary. And NBT bank is going ahead with a lawsuit against Donner and his partners for $10.8M in defaulted loans. He's far from "smelling like a rose" at this point.

And again, I'll take the Sabres' farm system over the Panthers' any day of the week, if for no other reason than not having to deal with Donner.

But thanks for giving us permission to continue ripping on that douchebag.

:rolleyes:

There is a HUGE difference between "investor" and "new majority owner."

The City says they aren't getting a lease with Donner involved in the day-to-day operations. Nothing I've seen has indicated anything to the contrary. And NBT bank is going ahead with a lawsuit against Donner and his partners for $10.8M in defaulted loans. He's far from "smelling like a rose" at this point.

And again, I'll take the Sabres' farm system over the Panthers' any day of the week, if for no other reason than not having to deal with Donner.

But thanks for giving us permission to continue ripping on that douchebag.

Be my guest. He'll come out on top. He's not selling his share and the city will have no choice. Even if he no longer runs the day to day operations, he'll still be with the team.

What's the city going to do, not negotiate with a new owner that just got a 28-0 vote in his favor by the league? They tried their hard line stance, and it didn't work. It was all posturing by saying they wouldn't deal with him.

As for the NBT bank stuff, Donner has said they can't touch the Amerks since he's not a majority owner. I'd believe him because I doubt Styres would invest 7 million into a team that would get seized by a bank. It's not going to happen.

And yes, everyone around here constantly said it was a made up mystery investor and that he was just blowing smoke.

Have fun with that defense on the farm club next year. Mike Funk will be the leader back there :lol:

Donner is going to come out smelling like a rose, on the Amerks side at least. He'll get his new owner, his new lease and his single parent.

So you are giving him lauds for getting out of the way.

If that is "smelling like a rose" then the guy is friggen FTD.

Be my guest. He'll come out on top. He's not selling his share and the city will have no choice. Even if he no longer runs the day to day operations, he'll still be with the team.

What's the city going to do, not negotiate with a new owner that just got a 28-0 vote in his favor by the league? They tried their hard line stance, and it didn't work. It was all posturing by saying they wouldn't deal with him.

As for the NBT bank stuff, Donner has said they can't touch the Amerks since he's not a majority owner. I'd believe him because I doubt Styres would invest 7 million into a team that would get seized by a bank. It's not going to happen.

And yes, everyone around here constantly said it was a made up mystery investor and that he was just blowing smoke.

Have fun with that defense on the farm club next year. Mike Funk will be the leader back there :lol:

Don't you have other things to do with your time, Mr. Donner?

So Donner says "the bank can't touch me, I sold the teams?" Really? What kind of BS reasoning is that? Golisano had to take on the Sabres' debt when he bought the team, so someone is going to have to pay for those defaulted loans. Did Donner and his franchise borrow the money? Then Donner has to pay it back, or the franchise (which I assume would be considered collateral) will belong to the bank. Or they will go after the new majority owners. Either way it looks like that will be for THE COURTS to decide, not Donner, considering the lawsuit has already been filed, and given Steve-O's track record, I'd bet on the bank getting their money one way or the other. I don't see how he thinks he's free and clear.

And we'll see about the lease. Doesn't sound promising for Donner's involvement when he says they will have to hire a facilitator to deal with the lease negotiations and the AHL says they'll have to help out as well. Yep, seems like it's all hunky-dory in Amerks' land.

I'm not going to rehash this same crap over and over again with you. You turned the last thread into a pissing match in which you were clearly overmatched and had no proof to back up most of your illogical claims, and I have no desire to start another thread with the same outcome.

Don't you have other things to do with your time, Mr. Donner?

So Donner says "the bank can't touch me, I sold the teams?" Really? What kind of BS reasoning is that? Golisano had to take on the Sabres' debt when he bought the team, so someone is going to have to pay for those defaulted loans. Did Donner and his franchise borrow the money? Then Donner has to pay it back, or the franchise (which I assume would be considered collateral) will belong to the bank. Or they will go after the new majority owners. Either way it looks like that will be for THE COURTS to decide, not Donner, considering the lawsuit has already been filed, and given Steve-O's track record, I'd bet on the bank getting their money one way or the other. I don't see how he thinks he's free and clear.

And we'll see about the lease. Doesn't sound promising for Donner's involvement when he says they will have to hire a facilitator to deal with the lease negotiations and the AHL says they'll have to help out as well. Yep, seems like it's all hunky-dory in Amerks' land.

I'm not going to rehash this same crap over and over again with you. You turned the last thread into a pissing match in which you were clearly overmatched and had no proof to back up most of your illogical claims, and I have no desire to start another thread with the same outcome.

Overmatched? You should have seen some of the posts in that last thread. Talk about people who have no clue how the AHL works, and knew nothing about the situation.

I don't doubt Donner will owe money, but the bank won't take his share of the Amerks and K-Hawks. What does the bank want with a minority ownership in a minor league hockey team? It'll take its course personally with Donner, but I highly doubt it involves the teams. Again, it's not like Styres doesn't know about that whole deal, he's not going to invest heavily into a team that will be taken over partly by a bank.

Who cares if they hired a facilitator for the lease? As long as it gets done. If you read between the lines, it looks to me like the city has already softened its stance against Donner.

Overmatched? You should have seen some of the posts in that last thread. Talk about people who have no clue how the AHL works, and knew nothing about the situation.

Sorry, wrong, incorrect. I read the entire thread (and participated for most of it) and you proved yourself to be a staunch defender of the Amerks at all costs, no holds barred - even though you were wrong in many instances. You tried to match wits with guys who are very well versed in the nuances of the NHL's CBA - which governs waiver issues and player salaries and recalls - and then tried to backtrack and called some of the most intelligent and most respected posters and fans ignorant. Even when posters tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and tried to explain to you how those aspects of the CBA, such as waivers and player salaries worked, you fired personal attacks and showed your own ignorance of the situation.

I don't doubt Donner will owe money, but the bank won't take his share of the Amerks and K-Hawks. What does the bank want with a minority ownership in a minor league hockey team? It'll take its course personally with Donner, but I highly doubt it involves the teams. Again, it's not like Styres doesn't know about that whole deal, he's not going to invest heavily into a team that will be taken over partly by a bank.

So Donner has $10.8 million? If not, where does that money come from? I'll give you a hint - things he owns. They are going to take his stuff and sell it off. That would include - try to stay with me here - the minor league teams.

Who cares if they hired a facilitator for the lease? As long as it gets done. If you read between the lines, it looks to me like the city has already softened its stance against Donner.

LINK

City officials said last month that they wouldn't cooperate with the Amerks on a new lease if Donner continued to have control of day-to-day operations. City Corporation Counsel Tom Richards has not indicated that the city's stance has softened.

-snip-

Mayor Robert Duffy was traveling back to Rochester on Tuesday after a Sister Cities trip to Ireland. He issued a noncommittal statement after learning that the AHL had approved Styres' purchase.

"At this time, I will withhold comment until my return to Rochester and fully reviewing the facts of the transaction, including the makeup of the ownership and management team," Duffy said.

Archived