The Weber hit?

deluca67

I don't see us finding takers for both Lydman and Tallinder. They both have two years left on high price contracts and are coming off a less than stellar year. If we're lucky, we'll be able to get rid of one. If we can find just one top-4 defenseman to play with Spacek, then I think they would be ok:

Spacek-New Guy

Weber-Sekera

Tallinder-Pratt

Paetsch

Or something like that.

Those contracts are not "high-priced." As the cap increase, numbers that once seemed high are no longer high. Buffalo doesn't have a top two pairing and they don't pay for a top two pairing.

Those contracts are not "high-priced." As the cap increase, numbers that once seemed high are no longer high. Buffalo doesn't have a top two pairing and they don't pay for a top two pairing.

I meant high priced for what those two bring to the table. $3 million for a decent second-pair defenseman is not high priced, but convincing someone that Lydman is a decent second-pair defenseman is a tough sell. I have no problem with them put significantly more than that into a veteran top-pair defenseman.

Yup, sorry, my bad, I shouldn't have used Trade, he was picked up as a FA, so it should have been "The Spacek pickup was a bust"

And alot of people around here thought that Spacek was a disapointment after last season

And they were right. Lindy confirmed that Jaro was a disappointment (at least for last season) when he benched him in the playoffs.

with all due respect to the poster who spends the cheese:

thank god for post-760-1206707682_thumbjpg

So you're saying Weber's got the 'mustard' for being in the NHL? :lol:

Stillman broke his leg, not sure if from Weber's hit, and never came back. (insert Simpsons ha-ha here)

And they were right. Lindy confirmed that Jaro was a disappointment (at least for last season) when he benched him in the playoffs.

Lindy never used Spach for what he was good at last year, Spach had a talk with Lindy before the season about his use. We brought him in for his big slapper and he showed everyone he slap it as good as anyone (almost as good as Ink on Weber :lol: ) seriously, players are brought in for one of their skills and the coach looks to capitalize on those skills. Every player needs work on something. A few too many Sabres have extraordinary skills when it comes to being creative with the puck, the offensive guys need to build on their defensive game. Robbie showed this last night in refernece to Gaustad. He read the play, got in position, got the turnover and went up ice. Goose is one who knows you have a minute and a half, sometimes less to show your skills both ways not just being a fancy pants.

Lindy never used Spach for what he was good at last year, Spach had a talk with Lindy before the season about his use. We brought him in for his big slapper and he showed everyone he slap it as good as anyone (almost as good as Ink on Weber :lol: ) seriously, players are brought in for one of their skills and the coach looks to capitalize on those skills. Every player needs work on something. A few too many Sabres have extraordinary skills when it comes to being creative with the puck, the offensive guys need to build on their defensive game. Robbie showed this last night in refernece to Gaustad. He read the play, got in position, got the turnover and went up ice. Goose is one who knows you have a minute and a half, sometimes less to show your skills both ways not just being a fancy pants.

You're right about not utilizing Spacek on the PP last year, and I remember the articles about his chat with Lindy after last season. I just think that his overall play last year was very disappointing, not just his PP play. That was the main point, that it wasn't just fans who were disappointed with Spacho's play, it was also the coaching staff.

You're right about not utilizing Spacek on the PP last year, and I remember the articles about his chat with Lindy after last season. I just think that his overall play last year was very disappointing, not just his PP play. That was the main point, that it wasn't just fans who were disappointed with Spacho's play, it was also the coaching staff.

If I remember correctly, Lindy said that Spacek was really disappointed in himself. I almost want to say that Lindy said Jaro came to him after the season. He knew he hadn't delivered and wanted to do much better this year.

The cross-crease power-play game last year wasn't his game, it basically

ignored the Kotalik - Spacek shots from mid-circle up last year.

If there was one fault with the PP last year (which was dreadful) it was that they

didn't use these two effectively on a second unit.

I don't think he was in that good a shape when he came over, couldn't keep up with the team.

re: Sekera and Weber, these guys seem to have some wheels on them, getting more confident taking the puck farther up ice when they can.

I don't see us finding takers for both Lydman and Tallinder. They both have two years left on high price contracts and are coming off a less than stellar year. If we're lucky, we'll be able to get rid of one. If we can find just one top-4 defenseman to play with Spacek, then I think they would be ok:

Spacek-New Guy

Weber-Sekera

Tallinder-Pratt

Paetsch

Or something like that.

So we're supposed to give up on two guys because they had one bad year after being very dependable? Nevermind the fact that the team as a whole has had a down year, but I don't agree with that at all. Look at the Spacek conversation. Thank god we didn't give up on him and ship him out for below market value. These guys are still very young and have earned a shot at redemption.

So we're supposed to give up on two guys because they had one bad year after being very dependable? Nevermind the fact that the team as a whole has had a down year, but I don't agree with that at all. Look at the Spacek conversation. Thank god we didn't give up on him and ship him out for below market value. These guys are still very young and have earned a shot at redemption.

I'd say that I am much more willing to give up on Lydman than Tallinder. Too soft, too many players left uncovered, which is partially true for Tallinder too, but Toni's cap hit is higher and he seems like the weaker of the two. Under the old system, they played well together, but the league and the team have changed. Now, as was pointed out, they are two too similar players matched up together. Dropping one and pairing the remaining one with a more physical, defensive blue liner would make this team better.

Edit: watching MSG's replay of the game right now and Weber made a great play to break up an Alfie led 2-on-1 in OT. It came shortly after another great play on a 2-on-1 by Pominville, showing his defensive abilities.

I'd say that I am much more willing to give up on Lydman than Tallinder. Too soft, too many players left uncovered, which is partially true for Tallinder too, but Toni's cap hit is higher and he seems like the weaker of the two. Under the old system, they played well together, but the league and the team have changed. Now, as was pointed out, they are two too similar players matched up together. Dropping one and pairing the remaining one with a more physical, defensive blue liner would make this team better.

Edit: watching MSG's replay of the game right now and Weber made a great play to break up an Alfie led 2-on-1 in OT. It came shortly after another great play on a 2-on-1 by Pominville, showing his defensive abilities.

I agree..Lydman has been giving the puck away more than any Sabre since he was acquired..He seems to make the boneheaded play on a daily basis..I like the way Weber has played both times he came up..He looks like he will be a 18-20 minute a game defensman...Not sure about Sekera yet..He gives the puck away a little too much still..I want to see how he improves over the next 2 years...Weber makes the smart play with the puck, no chance taking with his passes out of his zone and smart chips deep in his zone..On top of it he hits....Something we havent had since???????????

Warrener?

McKee did hit on occasion as well, not as often after his concussion, but he could still paint the boards with opposing forwards when he wanted to.

Like him or not, Zhitnik had a pretty decent hipcheck as well.

Zhitnik had an edge to him..The opposition had to keep their head on a swivel with him cuz if they werent paying attention or they were vulnerable he would take advantage of that..I think every team needs a defenseman like that, however I want a tough dman that when the opposition is out there they KNOW they are gonna get hit and get hit hard...I think the last player we had like that was Schonny or Korab....Weber looks so far that he might and I say might be that type of player..At least at his stage of the development I dont remember any Sabre like that

Zhitnik could hit when he wanted to, but I don't remember a lot of huge hits from him. For some reason I do remember a lot of dumb, lazy, undisciplined penalties from a point man who couldn't hit the wide side of a barn.

Zhitnik had an edge to him..The opposition had to keep their head on a swivel with him cuz if they werent paying attention or they were vulnerable he would take advantage of that..I think every team needs a defenseman like that, however I want a tough dman that when the opposition is out there they KNOW they are gonna get hit and get hit hard...I think the last player we had like that was Schonny or Korab....Weber looks so far that he might and I say might be that type of player..At least at his stage of the development I dont remember any Sabre like that

I think Cory Sarich started with the same fanfair as Weber. He is exactly my point when everyone fawns over Weber. He has turned into a pretty good defensemen, not great but good, but not before going through some rough stretches.

Archived