Sabres stockpilling prospects for new AHL team!!!

mis3384

The 2nd prospect in 2 days has been signed. Darcy is looking to sign their own prospects to build and AHL team, along with finding hidden gems and undrafted free agents to devel and call up.

Now all we need is that 8th spot....

I'm excited for this teams future...who will be the new AHL team?

The 2nd prospect in 2 days has been signed. Darcy is looking to sign their own prospects to build and AHL team, along with finding hidden gems and undrafted free agents to devel and call up.

Teams make moves like these often. It could have little to no relevance to anything. Maybe they just want to see what these kids have to offer.

Teams make moves like these often. It could have little to no relevance to anything. Maybe they just want to see what these kids have to offer.

True, but I can't remember the last time the Sabres signed someone like this. Anyone?

The real question is are these guys going to blossom into AHL Veterans that will provide leadership and help win our minor league team a Calder Cup? That is the critical question really.

Does anyone think these guys are going to turn out into much of anything? I know there are guys like Rafalski and Gionta who were highly underrated and kind of came from nowhere, but let's face it, aside from these guys being "career AHLers" do we think either of them will pan out? Anyone who follows college hockey, please chime in.

Edit: Marty St. Louis is probably a better example than Gionta. So, will these guys be AHL Vets or will they be Rafalski and St. Louis?

The real question is are these guys going to blossom into AHL Veterans that will provide leadership and help win our minor league team a Calder Cup? That is the critical question really.

Does anyone think these guys are going to turn out into much of anything? I know there are guys like Rafalski and Gionta who were highly underrated and kind of came from nowhere, but let's face it, aside from these guys being "career AHLers" do we think either of them will pan out? Anyone who follows college hockey, please chime in.

Edit: Marty St. Louis is probably a better example than Gionta. So, will these guys be AHL Vets or will they be Rafalski and St. Louis?

I always think of John Madden from the Devils when I think of the undrafted guy who came from nowhere.

True, but I can't remember the last time the Sabres signed someone like this. Anyone?

Happens quite often, but you don't hear too much about it because both the Sabres and Amerks are usually getting ready for the playoffs and these guys would never see the ice. They just signed Derek Whitmore to an ATO as well. There are actually 6 players on the Amerks as of now that were signed to amateur tryouts this past week. Kostka (Buf), Whitmore (Buf), Beaverson (Fla), Goebel (Fla), Kroll (?) and Baier (?).

Martin St Louis.

Dustin Penner.

Hell, Dustin Penner wound up in Maine in almost the same way. He was unrecruited and their assistant coach just happened to see him while scouting another guy. I'd say that worked out pretty well for all parties.

As for these guys, I've seen Kostka play several times, but can't remember a thing about him. Its probably from not seeing UMASS Hamster too much this season. Whitmore's got some impressive numbers with Bowling Green, specifically the 27 goals, tied for 6th in the nation. I don't know how they breakdown, but hopefully many were in league plays as there is some stiff competition in the CCHA.

Yes, most teams do, but most teams except Buffalo & Florida also have full AHL squads as well. This is the first time post lockout that the Sabres have signed a few kids out of college while the season is still going on. Usually they have waited until June or July. I like seeing them be proactive. But if they really are going to stop being cheap and field a full AHL roster next season then they have a lot more guys to sign still, by my count at least 8, maybe 10.

Yes, most teams do, but most teams except Buffalo & Florida also have full AHL squads as well. This is the first time post lockout that the Sabres have signed a few kids out of college while the season is still going on. Usually they have waited until June or July. I like seeing them be proactive. But if they really are going to stop being cheap and field a full AHL roster next season then they have a lot more guys to sign still, by my count at least 8, maybe 10.

I guess living in Rochester, it just digs at me a little bit that the Sabres are signing guys for "their" new AHL team. It would have been nice if this was started a year or two earlier. After having to see the crap that was put out there the last 2 years it rather pisses me off that upon leaving town they actually start treating their AHL affiliate with class. Way to go Buffalo... <_<

I guess living in Rochester, it just digs at me a little bit that the Sabres are signing guys for "their" new AHL team. It would have been nice if this was started a year or two earlier. After having to see the crap that was put out there the last 2 years it rather pisses me off that upon leaving town they actually start treating their AHL affiliate with class. Way to go Buffalo... <_<

More than likely its just a case of the the signing prospects to fill roster spots for next year. I haven't found any link were these guys are listed as the top college free agents. More than likely they are mid level prospects, typical Buffalo signings.

As for celebrated free agent signings, my best recollection is the year Adam Oates and Ray Staszak came out of college. Staszak was actually the hot property and turned into a huge bust.

Happens quite often, but you don't hear too much about it because both the Sabres and Amerks are usually getting ready for the playoffs and these guys would never see the ice. They just signed Derek Whitmore to an ATO as well. There are actually 6 players on the Amerks as of now that were signed to amateur tryouts this past week. Kostka (Buf), Whitmore (Buf), Beaverson (Fla), Goebel (Fla), Kroll (?) and Baier (?).

I know other teams do it quite often, but the question was when was the last time Buffalo signed an undrafted FA to an ATO out of the blue like this? I know it's partly due to the Sabres fielding a half-squad of prospects, but I honestly can't remember the last time they did this. Does anyone else know of anyone they signed to ATO contracts in the last couple years? I'm guessing the list is pretty thin.

Does that count include guys currently in college, like Kennedy and Gerbe, who could most likely play for our new AHL squad next season?

I know other teams do it quite often, but the question was when was the last time Buffalo signed an undrafted FA to an ATO out of the blue like this? I know it's partly due to the Sabres fielding a half-squad of prospects, but I honestly can't remember the last time they did this. Does anyone else know of anyone they signed to ATO contracts in the last couple years? I'm guessing the list is pretty thin.

I looked back at the last decade and I didn't find any undrafted FA signings. I'm not sure if the list I was looking at was comprehensive but it seemed thorough.

I looked back at the last decade and I didn't find any undrafted FA signings. I'm not sure if the list I was looking at was comprehensive but it seemed thorough.

That's what I thought. I'm not complaining about them looking for players to possibly fill out their AHL squad (mainly because I'm not Amerks6) but it just seems out of character for the Sabres.

There are typically only two or three college free agents worth signing and most of them turn in to little or nothing.

Remember the battle over Mike Van Ryn after New Jersey, whom had drafted him, decided not to sign him?

Most top prospects are already of some team that drafted them. I am positive that the change in Buffalo's strategy has to do with them needing to field a full AHL roster next year.

There are typically only two or three college free agents worth signing and most of them turn in to little or nothing.

Remember the battle over Mike Van Ryn after New Jersey, whom had drafted him, decided not to sign him?

Most top prospects are already of some team that drafted them. I am positive that the change in Buffalo's strategy has to do with them needing to field a full AHL roster next year.

It depends on what you consider to be worth signing. Yeah, not many will go on to become break out stars, but there are more than enough over the years that turned into solid NHL players. Most of the guys that fall into this position are some of the hardest workers you will ever find. They weren't drafted but continued to work their off just to get a shot at playing at a pro level higher than the ECHL. They are very low risk signings, so why not take a couple shots?

Wooo Hooo, they signed some AHL guys to tryout contracts!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad they are more concerned about getting AHL tryout guys then the NHL guys for the Pro Team

Whoa whoa whoa - slow down there apus.

1. Sign amateur guys to AHL contracts.

2. Amerks win the Calder Cup.

3. ????

4. Profit.

It's foolproof.

Wooo Hooo, they signed some AHL guys to tryout contracts!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad they are more concerned about getting AHL tryout guys then the NHL guys for the Pro Team

What transactions do you want to place TODAY? FA doesn't start until 7/1 and you can't trade any existing players until some time after the season ends. There are examples of undrafted free agents who make it to the NHL. Signing these two players isn't costing the Sabres a lot of money and they will need more players at the minor league level if they are going to field their own team.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Archived