Sabres stockpilling prospects for new AHL team!!!

mis3384

What transactions do you want to place TODAY? FA doesn't start until 7/1 and you can't trade any existing players until some time after the season ends. There are examples of undrafted free agents who make it to the NHL. Signing these two players isn't costing the Sabres a lot of money and they will need more players at the minor league level if they are going to field their own team.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Its not that I want them to sign someone today, its that over the last 2 off seasons, they have signed less FA's then they did the last couple days for their AHL team.

And sure there are examples of undrafted FA's that make it to the NHL, and for those there are hundreds of others that don't.

My comment is more to the fact that people are getting excited that the team is signing tryout players for an AHL team, while the Pro Team is struggling

Does that count include guys currently in college, like Kennedy and Gerbe, who could most likely play for our new AHL squad next season?

I think I posted something about this which got lost in the meltdown...

There are more than a couple of gaps to be filled in, if the Sabres are going to field their own team next year. I am making a couple of assumptions regarding players that may be signed, but here is a rough look at our AHL roster next year.

Graduated full time to the NHL next season...Weber, Sekera & Kaleta

Forwards...MacArthur, Hunter, Mancari(FA??), Zagrapan, Gragnani, Gerbe, Gogulla, Kennedy, Schutz, Breault and a couple of AHL vets.

Blueline...Funk, Card, Butler, 2 players with AHL experience and 2 other younger players(FA similar to those just signed??).

Goal...Dennis & Enroth

I think I posted something about this which got lost in the meltdown...

There are more than a couple of gaps to be filled in, if the Sabres are going to field their own team next year. I am making a couple of assumptions regarding players that may be signed, but here is a rough look at our AHL roster next year.

Graduated full time to the NHL next season...Weber, Sekera & Kaleta

Forwards...MacArthur, Hunter, Mancari(FA??), Zagrapan, Gragnani, Gerbe, Gogulla, Kennedy, Schutz, Breault and a couple of AHL vets.

Blueline...Funk, Card, Butler, 2 players with AHL experience and 2 other younger players(FA similar to those just signed??).

Goal...Dennis & Enroth

MacArthur will be up before Kaleta is. Clarke will be waiver eligible next year and would be scooped up in a second if we tried to send him down. Kaleta still has one year left.

Also, while I think he probably will leave, Gerbe is no lock to leave BC after this season.

MacArthur will be up before Kaleta is. Clarke will be waiver eligible next year and would be scooped up in a second if we tried to send him down. Kaleta still has one year left.

Also, while I think he probably will leave, Gerbe is no lock to leave BC after this season.

I just don't know where MacArthur fits. He isn't ready for top 2 line duty(maybe never will be??) and isn't made for a checking line role. That leaves him with a 4th line spot similar to which Ryan was occupying this year.

As far as Kaleta goes, even though he has 1 year left of going back and forth from the NHL to the AHL, I think he has shown enough that he solidified a 4th line position with the Sabres.

I just don't know where MacArthur fits. He isn't ready for top 2 line duty(maybe never will be??) and isn't made for a checking line role. That leaves him with a 4th line spot similar to which Ryan was occupying this year.

As far as Kaleta goes, even though he has 1 year left of going back and forth from the NHL to the AHL, I think he has shown enough that he solidified a 4th line position with the Sabres.

They've done it each of the last 3 seasons though. A guy that is ready for the big club starts out the year in Rochester simply because he doesn't have to clear waivers. The issue tends to sort itself out by the end of the year though.

They've done it each of the last 3 seasons though. A guy that is ready for the big club starts out the year in Rochester simply because he doesn't have to clear waivers. The issue tends to sort itself out by the end of the year though.

MacArthur is the kind of guy you develop and hope he emerges as a top line talent. When he doesn't, the smart thing to do is to send him on his way in hopes of acquiring a new prospect to develop or package him to acquire a top 6 core player.

As someone has pointed out, he isn't good enough to crack their top 6 so move him on.

MacArthur is the kind of guy you develop and hope he emerges as a top line talent. When he doesn't, the smart thing to do is to send him on his way in hopes of acquiring a new prospect to develop or package him to acquire a top 6 core player.

As someone has pointed out, he isn't good enough to crack their top 6 so move him on.

As i was reading the last few posts I began to feel the same way. If he appears to reached his potential then move him if possible.

Archived